pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

You know who had a terrific match last week on Strong ? Jay White and Christopher Daniels. And although it did not had the same grand scale as Punk vs MJF of course, in term of pure pro-wrestling and pacing and structuring, it was a whole lot better. Crazy to think that Daniels at 51 had still this one in him. He was having great matches 22 years ago already. Of course, Jay White is one of the most pleasing pro-wrestler to watch, he's just that smart, smooth and displays his great heel personality. So glad he's working IMPACT these days too. After the match he made a reference to his next "challenger", as his running a open challenge series, and it may be Adam Cole. Me salivating now.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kas said:

Okada vs Naito was the best match of pandemic era New Japan. 

I haven't watched their 2012 match in years but I'd put today's outing as their 2nd or 3rd best. Easily behind 2020 WK and likely behind 2012, but this was a fantastic showing from both with dueling neck work and your prototypical stretch run with a few unusual, fun wrinkles.  That last counter leading into the finish was so well executed.  Hell of a match.

Really intrigued to see what's in store for the NJ Cup.

Feel more curiousty about Fujinami and Fujiwara working a six man tag for the anniversary show with Okada and Tanahashi than the 48 man New Japa Cup field. Hopefully Togo actually wrestles a real match and gives us something worth a damn after the last couple of years. CIMA being the only "outsider" in such a huge field is hilarious. It's like NJPW is trolling us or something.

• 2 weeks later...

NJPW is so *there* now. Unless there's a really big match pimped after the fact (really enjoyed SANADA vs Tanahashi, another feather in the cap of Tana), I'm so over NJ at this point, as the shows are basically a bunch of tag matches that never produce anything special even when great workers are involved. The main take from the Anniversary shows to me, is that aging does suck. And that GLEAT has some cool guys.

Main event was pretty fun, legit great during the Okada vs Suzuki parts of it. Fujinami was in great shape for his age and did nothing really notable or fun (shocking I know), while Fujiwara at 72 in tights is not a visual I needed but he was as fun as one could expect from a 72 years old Fujiwara. The mount of goodwill from the other workers was way past the Hansen-sells-for-Baba-in-93 though, let's be real. 

And now this ridiculous Japan Cup with a hundred guys ? Hard pass. NJPW badly needs some outsiders (hello AEW) and some more interesting booking, because there's no way I'm going through 3 hours shows with about one worthy match, there's already way too much good stuff out there.

Still trying to figure out how New Japan is going to break out of their doldrums when they won't be able to create the same buzz as before (no one is able to share clips and gifs of awesome spots/matches without getting DCMA'd to hell). A good chunk of their latest boom period came from Western fans going nuts over things they saw on Twitter, and they did an excellent job squashing that.

20 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

So far Desperado-Okada and Shingo-Ishii have been the only must-watches of the tournament (big shocker). But Okada being a jerk to Wato was fun. And we saw some flashes of the old Dick Togo before more House of Torture nonsense.

Agreed. They've really punted on the first section of the tournament for the most part. Hopefully it means a stronger back half, as they're really clearing out the juniors and low level guys.

Thought both were good matches that suffered because NJ is just not going to put anything other than their top junior over a heavyweight. That's been a running problem with the tournament so far, just way too many matches with foregone conclusions.

Watching today's show, and it's nice to see at least a little drama in the matches. At least the very chalky first two rounds have set up an interesting third round.

13 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

Unless we have a major upset coming, I'm guessing the semis are going to be Okada-Cobb and Ospreay-Shingo. Thinking Cobb wins the whole thing.

I think ZSJ goes over Ospreay (with Ospreay getting the shot at Sanada at the April big show). Also think Cobb doesn't win the tournament (not really a point if he's beating Okada, which I think is the likely scenario too), leaving the winner of the other side of the bracket as the winner (I have ZSJ, but could easily be Shingo as well).

2 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

Okada-Taichi was really good, but still not as good as their New Beginning match in 2020. CIMA-Goto was also pretty fun. Shame they didn't get the rest of Stronghearts in this tournament.

Couldn't find a spot, needed to get in one more Gedo match.