Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

This G1 feels everything but special. I cannot believe they could bring guys like Lawlor, Archer or this Jonah guy to fill spots, but they still decided to include guys like Fale, Tama Tongaw, Henare, Yujiro or Yoshi Hashi anyway. Like, I got it when the pandemic was at its peak and they just had to work with what they had, but this year? C'mon man. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I mean, KUSHIDA is back. Couldn't they have slotted him in ? Apparently he's coming back straight into the Junior division. And I guess Hiromu vs KUSHIDA is gonna be a big match eventually. 

Aaron Henare actually is cool, the guy is incredibly underrated and he's a fresh guy in the ranks. But Yujiro ? Fale ? Owens (even though he did good last year) ? 

• 2 weeks later...

NJPW World just added the following matches to celebrate the anniversary of Hashimoto's passing:

1993.12.13 - Hashimoto vs. Power Warrior
1995.04.16 - Hashimoto vs. Regal
1996.06.11 - Hashimoto vs. Kojima
1996.07.17 - Hashimoto vs. Flair
1997.02.16 - Hashimoto vs. Yamazaki
1997.08.10 - Hashimoto vs. Tenzan
1997.08.31 - Hashimoto vs. Sasaki
1998.06.05 - Hashimoto vs. Fujinami

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1546434130572877824?s=20&t=JHAcMyuYsI8dGyeoIFDsSA

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it seems to be happening in a bubble from all the chatter out there.  While far from a blowaway tourney, its still been pretty great by my eyes. Shingo/Yoshi-Hashi is probably my favorite match thus far with ZS/KENTA and Tana/Naito not far behind.  Regardless of what else is going on you can count on something great on almost every G1 show.  Except night 3.  That was an absolute waste.

7 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

Yeah, it seems to be happening in a bubble from all the chatter out there.  While far from a blowaway tourney, its still been pretty great by my eyes. Shingo/Yoshi-Hashi is probably my favorite match thus far with ZS/KENTA and Tana/Naito not far behind.  Regardless of what else is going on you can count on something great on almost every G1 show.  Except night 3.  That was an absolute waste.

With this new format, the weekday shows appear to now very much be B shows. I mean, they always were, but needing to include the full block on each show generally kept the quality level a bit higher (especially before the field got depleted in '20 and especially '21). 

NJPW in conjonction to STARDOM have announced the creation of the IWGP Women's championship. This doesn't affect the hierarchy in STARDOM, as this will be defended mostly in NJPW shows, including in the US. This is a huge news as this is revolutionary for a main Japanese company. Kidani certainly is shaking things up in a big way with this. Not to mention the fact they work with outside promotion, which means this opens the door also for women foreigners to work NJPW cards. The only thing that could have make this bigger is probably Madusa announcing it, but oh well. All kidding aside, this is pretty huge. 2022 is a crazy year, again.

• 2 weeks later...

Inoki put Vader over by getting basically no offense in and letting him squash him in 4 minutes. This was a competitive match that went 22. It’s a good piece of booking for the tournament and will lead to a title shot or another big singles match but there hasn’t been a match like that in Japan in literally decades. 

How long has Kenta been "the Fang"? Does he only have one tooth? Like a stalagtite?

Anyway, here's Naito. I don't think my affection for Naito was ever down to his ring-work - I'd say he's the worst* of the top-line NJPWers of the last decade in that aspect. Well, EVIL excepted.

Edit: maybe not "worst"; "least interesting" is probably better. Although he's looked OK tonight.

Filthy Tom looking right at home in the ring opposite Okada. Been really impressed by him (this is my first real exposure to him). Lawlor will never main-event WrestleMania, but then, not many do.

Tarzan Goto - is he still perennial bridesmaid? Feels more like a flower girl these days. Doubt he goes over Tana here though I'm happy to be wrong.