Pro Wrestling Only

Worst Professional Wrestler Ever?

Fantastic

As in, who is the worst actual professional wrestler? Somebody who actively sought out a career in professional wrestling, from the get go and didn't just fall into it (ex: someone who always wanted to wrestle, didn't have a day job, etc)? Someone who made it through wrestling school, and into a well known promotion, but were just so bad at it? Someone who never realised that wrestling "wasn't for them" and continued to stick around in the business?

With these kinds of criteria we can exclude the likes of:

The Great Khali (acting background)

Kurrgan (was just passing through on the way to an acting career)

David Flair

Nathan Jones

Khali came from the APW school out here in Northern California. He did indies & Japan and had been working 5-6 years by the time WWE signed him.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Big Daddy Yum Yum too young in his career to be put in this conversation?

Byron Wilcott has been around for years, including a run in WWE developmental.

I know his New Japan stuff has become the stuff of meme/internet legend, but I've seen him live a million times on the NWA/Texas indie scene and he's a perfectly competent pro wrestler. Nothing special, but never even close to the worst guy on a given card.

And even though I wouldn't be running to my phone to bring him back, I didn't think the New Japan matches were that bad.

EDIT: Just thought of this, but I saw Wilcott have a legitimate 4-star match against Tokyo Monster Kahagas, of all people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Magee

also shame on whoever said Sabu

Maybe I'm biased since I never was a fan of the ECW garbage style, but I stand by it. I know he was doing stuff that was unheard of in 1994/5, but his legacy at this point is pretty much no showing events, missing 75% of his signature spots and throwing fits afterwards, and asking every fan who ever attended an ECW show if they have any weed. Hell one of his most famous moments was giving Chris Benoit his Crippler name by botching a backdrop. Plus he managed to be unprofessional enough to get told to GTFO by both WCW and WWF/E (twice!) despite being a relatively hot commodity at the time.

I'll be fair and state that maybe there's an amazing Sabu match somewhere that I've never seen that would prove me wrong, but it seems like he's more or less a case of Paul Heyman managing to convince everyone the Emperor was wearing a fancy suit of clothes.

Maybe I'm biased since I never was a fan of the ECW garbage style, but I stand by it. I know he was doing stuff that was unheard of in 1994/5, but his legacy at this point is pretty much no showing events, missing 75% of his signature spots and throwing fits afterwards, and asking every fan who ever attended an ECW show if they have any weed. Hell one of his most famous moments was giving Chris Benoit his Crippler name by botching a backdrop. Plus he managed to be unprofessional enough to get told to GTFO by both WCW and WWF/E (twice!) despite being a relatively hot commodity at the time.

I'll be fair and state that maybe there's an amazing Sabu match somewhere that I've never seen that would prove me wrong, but it seems like he's more or less a case of Paul Heyman managing to convince everyone the Emperor was wearing a fancy suit of clothes.

The only problem with this theory is Sabu was already garnering buzz on what we now call the indie scene before Heyman got a hold of him.

I don't know your age, background, etc so apologies in advance if i'm off base here, but Sabu is a case of something that you really had to live through to completely understand.

Sabu was fired by WWE not WCW, he refused to sign a contract in 95 and Paul cockblocked him in 2000. Either way I don't see what that has to do with being the worst wrestler ever.

Sabu says they brought him in for 500 a night and tried to turn his 500 a night into a contract. Since he would only be working two nights a month he didn't take the deal since he would only be making 1000 a month.

He also said they wanted him in the Cruiserweight division and he didn't want the label.

The only reservation I have about Big Daddy as the worst ever is he had half a career as a younger, more muscular wrestler. It seems a little unfair to rate him solely on his career north of 50, even if that is when he was most popular.

I third Renegade.

For as much as I just praised DDP in his GWE thread for a classic heel performance and one of the best one-man carry jobs ever. The Renegade was awful. He had no sense of ring presence or charisma. He rushed everything so nothing had any meaning. Like one of my favorite spots is when a babyface has the heel in headlock and the heel goes to apron, but the face pulls him in over the top rope and of course the ref counts to five and the face has no choice, but to let go. Renegade did not wait for the 5-count. He did not get the joke. He sucks. He moved awkwardly. His offense was so light. He could not sell water to those walking in the Sahara.

Ultimate Warrior comes a way a big winner from having seen the Renegade. He definitely understood character work and how to make spots seem important.

Has anyone mentioned Uncle Elmer / Stan Frazier yet?

The Plowboy was okay in the 1970's. Not a wrestler , but was effective as a monster heel. His top moments were when he served as Jerry Lawler's henchman around 76. Plowboy could at least execute a legdrop . When the 80's rolled again he was to broken down by carring all of that weight to do anything in the ring . He did draw some money in Memphis .

Once again George Gulas is the Worst of the Worst , Did George Gulas ever draw a dime or have a match that was not a laughing stock ?

The Plowboy was okay in the 1970's. Not a wrestler , but was effective as a monster heel. His top moments were when he served as Jerry Lawler's henchman around 76. Plowboy could at least execute a legdrop . When the 80's rolled again he was to broken down by carring all of that weight to do anything in the ring . He did draw some money in Memphis .

Once again George Gulas is the Worst of the Worst , Did George Gulas ever draw a dime or have a match that was not a laughing stock ?

Did you ever see him team with Bobby Eaton? I read on Wrestling Classics that they were actually a decent tag team, even if it was mostly down to Eaton. Is there any tape of George Gulas? I can't remember seeing any.

Did you ever see him team with Bobby Eaton? I read on Wrestling Classics that they were actually a decent tag team, even if it was mostly down to Eaton. Is there any tape of George Gulas? I can't remember seeing any.

Yes , I saw George work with Bobby Eaton . Together they were know as The Jet Set . Bobby Eaton did all of the work, and carried George . It was a good way for Nick to protect George . Eaton has commented that people uses to rib him about teaming with George. Bobby sais it all work out in the end because he turned heel on George. I don't think there is any footage of the Jet Set in existence. The Jet Set was apairing of one of the best wrestlers of all time , with the man who many consider to be the worst worker in history .

The Eaton/ Gulas team was after the Jarrett/ Gulas split. Before the split Dennis Hall was George tag partner. George worked a lot of tag matches ; some other partners were Rufus R. Jones , Jimmy Golden , Tojo and Jackie Fargo. The only real single match I recall of George was against Jimmy Kent . Kent was a manager who was small but could wrestle. I lived in Memphis so I only saw George went I went to Nashvile once a month . Jarrett kept George off of Memphis TV , fearing that he would destroy the Memphis market. Of course after the split he was on Memphis TV every week for about a year . Nick finally got TV time on a small station .

I would like to say Sandman, but I don't know that I've watched enough of him to properly judge. But from what I've seen, and it's a fair enough portion, he's just awful.

I agree that the Sandman was a disgrace to the ring. However Paul E. put Sandman programs that got him over. The Sandman did draw some in ticket sales and gimmicks. Can you say someone is the worst of all time if they drew money ?