Pro Wrestling Only

Coffey

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should at least watch the main event Parv.

Only if you admit that Van Hammer circa 91 wouldn't have looked out of place on one of the teams.

If I was going to try and get you to watch something from the past year of WWE it absolutely wouldn't be this main event. Maybe Brock/Cena from SummerSlam since it's one of the only main events this year with a real finish outside of WrestleMania.

I'm not a Ziggler guy either. But he's too over to not be pushed at the top level.

I agree. People love him as a face. I liked him better as a heel.

Zigger is awful as a heel. His lack of offense isn't really a big deal when he's getting his ass kicked for 90% of the match, but it becomes really noticeable when he has to work a control segment and busts out a million chinlocks.

I don't disagree with this. Ziggler is a guy who should be in a tag team . He has too many holes in his skill set. Yet I prefer his bumping to help make a baby face look good .

- It struck me last night that Dean Ambrose's costume is just a cleaner version of Luke Harper's dirty swamp outfit - and both of them are only a couple of shades removed from the Brooklyn Brawler. Just terrible.

Agreed. Dean Ambrose doesn't look like a star at all.

Now? It's a race to see who can be the most generic.

I do think it's much better now that it was a few years ago in the 00's during the reign of metrosexual short hair/short shorts/tribal tatoo big dudes era. The themes are still mostly awfully generic indeed though.

Ambrose's general look works for the character, though there are better versions of it. He's the white trash kid who put everything that he had into being a pro wrestler. The "Survival Kit" promo contextualized it well; he already has everything that he needs to be a fighter and to win. There's no real reason for him to not be a black trunks guy, but he makes the basics work. (Whatever they can do to accentuate his looks would be a good idea-- he was absolutely ahead of both Reigns and Rollins as the "female favorite" Shield member.)

Not changing up Harper's look (and if they keep Rowan in the green coveralls, same thing) is an absolute mistake. He even still has the crappy bandanna in his pocket. The "Corporate Kane" image is also ridiculous. It's very weird for them to not keep up on those types of details but... WWE.

I've only watched the main event so far, and I'm sadly underwhelmed. This could have been presented as far more 'epic'. This should have been Team Austin vs Team Bischoff like in its presentation. The action itself was fine, but some extra touches could have added to the overall presentation.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen Daniel Bryan accompany Team Cena. Given that it was his title win that was the entire catalyst for the authority arc, it would have been fitting that he would have been there to witness its end. It would have also made for some fun interactions with Stephanie at ringside. It would have certainly added to the atmosphere and maybe even convinced more people to tune in either via the network or pay per view. The entire crowd, Bryan and Dolph celebrating together would have made for a great visual at the end of the show.

Kane should have been placed in the Mark Henry spot.

Orton absolutely should have been involved in the match. He wouldn't have even needed to survive, I could have envisaged him being screwed out the match (it could have been as simple as Mercury and Noble keeping him out of the ring, leading to him being counted out. Orton could have then gone on the rampage, hitting everyone in his path with the RKO, allowing him to keep his heat). I would have preferred Triple H being in the actual match also.

The match did Ryback absolutely no favours, and I would have kept him, Rusev, Harper and Rowan away from the match. The whole Harper/Rowan split has been terrible and hasn't much much sense, and Ryback and Rusev shouldn't be dropping falls. I'm glad Rusev didn't eat a pinfall though.

The Sting reveal wasn't handled particularly well to me. His appearance didn't look particularly impressive either. The whole randomness of it was strange also, maybe it will play out eventually, but why sting? Why now? And what is his motivation? If it was out of a sense of fair play, shouldn't he have appeared the second Big Show had turned on Cena?

Also I know it's done for dramatic effect, but why stop the count to stare at Sting walk down the aisle, especially if your job depends on it? Especially when it's a referee in your back pocket counting? Given that Sting is the dumbest baby face in wrestling history, him strolling to the ring whilst Ziggler is counted down would have been amusing and completely in character 😇

I know it's not the first time that wwe has underdelivered , but given this event was 'free', this match could and should have been so much more.

Just watched the whole thing today in one sitting and was pretty underwhelmed and I didn't even get it for free!

The opening promo should have been done on a previous RAW to really drive home the point that The Authority will be gone and if they win then everyone else besides Cena is gone. I hate, hate lopsided stipulations so adding that Zigs, Show, Ryback and Rowan would have been out of a job would have helped the build immensely.

Way too much Matadores shit in the match. They are so terribly bland and are totally exposed next to the Usos who are just so much better at being a fun, high-energy tag team. Mizdow is over without doing much of anything is awesome. The post-match was genius. Mizdow has made Miz watchable that does an award of some sort.

I didn't hate the women's elimination match as most. Paige took some great bumps and showed great intensity. Summer Rae's chickenshit character was amusing. Alicia Fox is incredible and hope she gets a run against Nikki.

Bray Wyatt has just fucked Dean Ambrose and he did not even let him put lipstick on first. This feud has been so boring and pointless. It is just typical WWE booking hey we have two over characters lets just put them together randomly. Wait, let's make it PERSONAL, first. Who gives a fuck if still does not explain anything Bray Wyatt has done? How hard would it have been to have Wyatt try to recruit Ambrose have him reject Wyatt. "Ooooooo Dean, you can't fight the Authority alone, let me help you." Then Wyatt gets pissed and screws him at Hell In A Cell. Jesus, this is not fucking rocket science. Instead it is let me save you from your daddy issues by attacking you and screwing with your match. What a moron. The match is fine by typical WWE standards. It is a lot of ebb and flow where shit is always happening, but nothing is really happening. They are going to have a TLC match. Who cares?

I was actually looking forward to Nikki/AJ because Nikki has gotten pretty good. Brie is now a heel, hilarious! Nikki/Fox should be most excellent.

This is my theory regarding the main event, which I was totally spoiler free (well I knew Sting was returning, but that is it). Watching it live and for the first time, this is a really exciting and dramatic match, but on various rewatches it will lose a lot of its luster. The reason the match was over like rover was because the outcome actually felt like it mattered. You had a sense of urgency and motivation that does not exist in other matches especially stuff like Ambrose/Wyatt. Hunter/Steph really, really added to the drama and Cena was a great cheerleader and you felt that energy. I loved, loved Show KOing Herny at the start. Such a perfect opening. Team Cena with an early fastbreak to pop the crowd and really have Hunter and Steph sweating. Ryback getting eliminated so early and so ho-hum really, really bothered me for a while. My brother helped me try to see past it, but it really seemed to piss away a lot of heat for a guy I really like. Rusev had an awesome showing and I knew they would protect him and was not disappointed on that front. Harper and Rowan just did not do it for me. I am glad crowd was excited, but I didn't it was anything but average big man work.

So Big Show KOing Cena out of nowhere. I agree that it was done spur of the moment (I have not watched RAW) and makes sense based on past history. But just like everyone was complaining about old man Sting hogging the spotlight. I say fuck the Big Show. I don't care about Cena/Show part 1,024. I know Cena can FU Show and win why do I need to see it again. Ryback had just as good of motives as Show. He cast his lot with Cena because he thought it would be the winning side. If he saw a hurt Cena and Ziggler, he could have made the same decision and Shellshocked Cena. Ryback would have gone over huge. Just switch Ryback and Show that would be so much better. Cena getting KO'd and pinned was very shocking.

As soon it was 3-on-1, Ziggler was a lock to win, but he was perfect in this situation to ragdoll for the heels, be super over with the crowd and never give up. His selling is a little too off/on and he definitely dies too much, but overall it was pretty gripping to watch. Sting debuting was pretty cool and HHH is not the worst option, but just seems lame like there is no real connection. I'd like to see Sting go against someone a younger on the roster. Poor Rollins, he is becoming like the new Edge, but I think he is a lot better than that. I was hoping he would be a more old school heel like a Flair or Bock, but it seems he is more Edge-ified by the day.

The main event is WWE doing what it does best: interesting spots and angles in the context of wrestling match where there are consequences. I don't agree with all the decision. I am especially annoyed with the handling of Ryback, but I want to see WWE more of this. What made this match great was first and foremost was that outcome felt like it had a real consequence and that made the action more dramatic and entertaining. There was no move or spot that was all that unique, but it was the context that made these moves and spots more exciting. The second was most of the wrestlers were treated as individuals with unique motivations and roles. I don't agree with all the decisions and I think MOTYC talk is way overblown., but I like to see WWE move more in this direction.