Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-06-03-AJPW-Super Power Series] Steve Williams & Terry Gordy vs Stan Hansen & Joel Deaton

PeteF3

Miracle Violence Combination vs Stan Hansen and Joel Deaton Doc and Gordy, Doc and Gordy, Doc and Gordy, Doc and....Sorry, Perry Saturn moment there. Great opening here. MVC rushes their opponents from the start and it begins with chaos. Great! Gordy and Doc owned for the first part of this then Hansen made a killer comeback. MVC were so good in this with their aggresive attacks. Deaton and Hansen were both really good too. Gordy wins with the powerbomb. You want all of this. Rating: ****1/4 I think is from 6/3/1993 AJPW but it may be the month after.

The progression on TV is this:

June 20th 1993 (taped 6/1 Nippon Budokan, Tokyo) 3. Stan Hansen vs. Terry Gordy (19:42)

Hansen pins Gordy in the semifinal at Budokan underneath the first Misawa & Kobashi vs Kawada & Taue match.

June 27th 1993 (taped 6/3 Sendai) 1. Terry Gordy & Steve Williams vs Stan Hansen & Joel Deaton (6:47)

Back in the days when Budokan wasn't always the series ender, they had one more tv taping two days later. Gordy & Williams get their "revenge" on Hansen by generally kicking the living shit out of Hansen & Deaton.

July 4th 1993 (taped 7/2 Korakuen Hall, Tokyo) 2. Stan Hansen & Johnny Ace vs. Mark & Chris Youngblood (5:05)

First taping of the next series, Hansen shows up "in a bad mood" still pissed off over how the last series ended. He's like a caged animal stalking outside the ring, at times just losing his head to get mixed up in the action. Generally thought of as one of the more entertaining squashes of the era, though the context of having seen the prior two weeks shows help a bit. I can't go to ****1/4 on a 6:47 match that's largely just a beat down, Hansen's brief comeback notwithstanding. But it's an interesting, very different match from the usual TV matches.

John

So I'm up to this point in the yearbook and just watched the 6/3 tag match. Unreal. I watched the AJPW 80s set and much of the 90s, and never saw Hansen get thrashed so soundly. You had the crowd chanting for JOEL DEATON of all people to make the save just a few minutes into the match. Pretty clear from this they had big plans for Gordy heading into the fall. I can only imagine how well his airplane escapades went over.

Most importantly for now -- I can't seem to find the Gordy vs. Hansen singles anywhere. Checked Ditch & the tubes and came up empty. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• 11 months later...
  • paul sosnowski changed the title to [1993-06-03-AJPW-Super Power Series] Steve Williams & Terry Gordy vs Stan Hansen & Joel Deaton