Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Grimmas

Matt Sydal

I nominated him so I probably should say why. Really, a lot of it was influenced by Noble being nominated and I was already flirting with nominating him. Plenty of guys from this era that have been nominated that I think he is certainly better than especially among high flyers.

Sydal on his own will probably end up flirting with the bottom quarter of my list if he makes it at all. Still a ton to watch but right now he's in the mix. Excellent flyer. Has a jaw dropping shooting star press and does well at not spamming moves compared to a lot of indie talents. I would like to see him in longer matches but heck, you can look at WSX for super short super nutty matches that have little more value than that or some of his tag matches with Styles that I think are really friggin' good for that style. His WWE run has good stuff in ECW. Watched a match of his against Paul Burchill and he is an ELITE seller in that. From the little I remember, Air Boom was a fun flying babyface team. He's a fantastic babyface who does all the things you want from a face well.

He has quite a few knocks for a GREATEST EVER debate with a lack of big matches probably being the biggest. Also he is only 31 with WWE eating a chunk of his career that could have been used to add to his resume.

He's a good wrestler, but I don't think I would put him close to the top 100 all time. Top 100 within the last 10 years I can see, but not all time.

Forgotten ROH tag team work with not only AJ Styles, but also the veteran/young boy team with Christopher Daniels.

His best run, although hardly featured as a single, may have been Dragon Gate 2006-2007.

I'd love to see his OVW stuff. I believe he was champion for a time before the call up.

He's one of the best bumpers I've seen. Him rag dolling for everyone when he was in ECW was like watching a completely different guy than the guy I saw on the indy circuit, and he had himself some good moments there, too.

I'm not sure he has enough to put him on a list like this, but I'll consider him one of the better indy guys..

Also he is only 31 with WWE eating a chunk of his career that could have been used to add to his resume.

I haven't seen much of his indy work but I don't think I could agree with this statement. People might think this is crazy but his work on ECW has him as an all time babyface worker in my opinion. I realize there are plenty of guys with deeper bodies of work but the way he could sell and bump was as good as anyone I've ever seen. I can't remember anyone else in WWE who would sometimes have their match end without their opponent hitting their finisher, and just have them take a really nasty looking bump to end the match instead.

He also had some great looking offense with obviously the Shooting Star Press but he did a lot of good looking strikes based around kicks and knees that I thought helped him look credible against bigger opponents. I think it's unfortunate that he ended getting that ankle injury not too long after his debut because it seemed like they were ready to do something with him after he won the voting at Cyber Sunday 2008. After that he ended up on Raw and then got into trouble because he didn't want to stop smoking weed.

Should have been a major star and the spectacular, good looking, exciting white meat babyface of his era. Great at selling, incredible athleticism, spectacular offense and a brilliant bumper. Always knew how to time his comebacks and pace his matches. Connected with the crowd.

A tragedy that he didn't become the heir to Rey Mysterio and Jeff Hardy as the WWE main event flyer. His ROH match with Jimmy Rave in 2005 was as close to Rey vs Eddie as you can get working that type of match.