Pro Wrestling Only

Stupid things non-wrestling fans say to you

What are some of the stupidest things non-wrestling fans say to you once they learn you watch wrestling? The top three I hear are:

1. You know it's fake, right? (My reply: Are you sure? Really? Well, that's disappointing to hear.)

2. This stuff is still on TV? (My reply: Yeah, it's managed to stay on the air somehow.)

3. Ketchup! (when a wrestler bleeds) (My reply: Nope. It's spaghetti sauce. Usually Ragu.)

Bonus:

4. You're watching this shit again!? (It's my wife who says this often. And I can't blame her.)

My reply to "You know it's fake, right?" is usually "And the TV show we just watched isn't?"

I've also gotten "Is wrestling real?" which is a clear troll question in which I respond with equal trolling such as to my friend who goes to NYU "Does Spider Man jump from building to building on a web in Greenwich Village as you head to class?"

The most condescending is "You like watching half-naked men roll around in a ring?" I usually don't have any reason to respond to something like that, but if they're UFC fans I'm ripping on them bad for that one.

I was at some house party last month and some random dude came over to talk to me. The Chael Sonnen-Wanderlei Silva at WrestleMania rumor came up, and this dude just started freaking out. He was just going on about how if Silva did pro wrestling, it would ruin his legacy, and leave a black mark on MMA. I didn't care at all to even talk about this rumor but just thought his whole argument was really weird and melodramatic.

Once had a local conspiracy nut tell me that the majority of wrestlers are gay people with AIDS and that's the real reason they all die young. Of course this was drawn out over a thirty minute conversation that I couldn't escape because I was at work and he was a "customer."

You should write a book of customer service stories.

I've always thought WWE should do an ad campaign where fans of Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc. are talking to their co-workers about how great the show was, only to get a "You know they're just acting, right? It's so fake" response.

That would be awesome.

I've always thought WWE should do an ad campaign where fans of Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc. are talking to their co-workers about how great the show was, only to get a "You know they're just acting, right? It's so fake" response.

Well, to be fair, Jon Hamm is a much more convincing actor than Shawn Michaels.

I actually think this is great.

None of the fake comments ever bothered me, but like a quote above "half naked men rolling around". People would try and use that as a slur that you were gay (for enjoying watching men "wrestle"). Always thought that was a low blow.

I actually think this is great.

None of the fake comments ever bothered me, but like a quote above "half naked men rolling around". People would try and use that as a slur that you were gay (for enjoying watching men "wrestle"). Always thought that was a low blow.

It's pretty ridiculous and immature. There's absolutely no reason for people to make comments like that. I hate it. I'm annoyed when someone asks if it's fake, but that kind of petty questioning really exposes people as assholes.

I always use a Walking Dead analogy when the ''fake" argument is used.

"That's like refusing to watch The Walking Dead because they don't use real zombies" etc.

It's more plausible now that WWE has dropped the pretense almost entirely. Vince used insider terms when talking to Austin, and HHH babyface segments are shown in the middle of Raw. Stephanie even openly admits it. In the past, I think it was not just that it was fake, but that they were trying to dupe you somehow.

An archaic, corny gimmick as evil foreign heel. Did people expect him to have any shelf life? The best he can hope for is the Mark Henry role, credible enough to be thrown to the top if the card when they need a monster heel or to get someone over, but generally floating around in midcard obscurity. Worst case scenario he becomes a comedy character.

Can't say I am too concerned either way. The repetitive way he was presented and the endless boring squash matches and outdated, tedious anti-America rubbish turned me off to the point where I always fast forwarded his television segments. On PPV he never struck me as the fantastic worker people argued he was. Crazy people on here arguing he should crush every face on the roster.

An archaic, corny gimmick as evil foreign heel. Did people expect him to have any shelf life? The best he can hope for is the Mark Henry role, credible enough to be thrown to the top if the card when they need a monster heel or to get someone over, but generally floating around in midcard obscurity. Worst case scenario he becomes a comedy character.

Can't say I am too concerned either way. The repetitive way he was presented and the endless boring squash matches and outdated, tedious anti-America rubbish turned me off to the point where I always fast forwarded his television segments. On PPV he never struck me as the fantastic worker people argued he was. Crazy people on here arguing he should crush every face on the roster.

Hahahaha

picard_clapping.gif

Anyone who says "Back when it used to be real" and they're usually referring to the 70s or some shit.

One of my co-workers is a major conspiracy theorist and also quasi-pro wrestling fan. Somehow he knew the Ultimate Warrior had died and it was because Vince McMahon had him killed over money dating back to SummerSlam 1991. I started backing away like Homer Simpson into the bushes when he said Vince and Dana White are two of the most powerful, well-connected men in the world and they have people taken out who get in their way.

The people who used to insult me for watching pro wrestling were usually the same ones who spent hours upon hours watching anime and Cartoon Network.

Back in the late 90s/early 00's when I ran a lucha website I often was asked if mask vs mask matches were real by people who were pretty much aware that everything was determined. The notion of wrestlers willingly losing their mask made no sense at all to Mexicans and even Mexican Americans. You've got to realise that until many years later there were zero non kayfabe Spanish language lucha libre websites and the biggest hangout was the Univision forum where you'd get maybe 2 or 3 new theads a day and you had

I also received several sexual offers by women who assumed that I was Mil Mascaras because my mail started with milmascaras (even though I clearly stated in English AND Spanish that I was not Mil Mascaras). And one "promoter" wanted to pay me money if I could provide him with "barrio looking" Mexican boys who could wrestle for his gay themed video company... but I guess I'm getting away from the subject.

Not sure if this is in the spirit of the thread or not but I have been able to justify pretty much any type of wrestling that I like to former girlfriends except for Japanese women's wrestling. The whole "I watch it for the athleticism and the spectacle" thing doesn't fly, plus there's the entire Japanese woman/fetish/anime/sexualised view of them by some people in the west.

People used to ask me how did I watch old wrestling. That stuff surely isn't on TV. Tapes? And where do I get those tapes? It's not like I can walk to a Blockbuster and rent them. I remember having this conversation with OJ many years ago in Japan about people being puzzled about him watching old wrestling. Now there's youtube and people know that you can find practically anything in there.

I have also found people think it's odd that some of us watch old territorial wrestling from 30 years ago. At least the WWF looks cool and flashy with the over the top characters and showmanship, Japan looks like a serious kick ass tough man competition and lucha looks fun with the masks and the colourful characters. I have found plenty of regular people who think that Mid South or NWA wrestling looks like old hillbilly shit.

I also received several sexual offers by women who assumed that I was Mil Mascaras because my mail started with milmascaras (even though I clearly stated in English AND Spanish that I was not Mil Mascaras).

Did you ever buy the mask? Then again I'm just trying to imagine the type of woman who would send sexual offers to someone online on the off chance that they were Mil Mascaras. Your life probably would've been in jeopardy.