Pro Wrestling Only

Flair's podcast (WOOOOONation)

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the sober ones more. Sad to hear Flair as elderly, semi-irate drunk, esp. after he looked so old on the Dusty roundtable. Past episodes have been great and it's definitely still worth listening to weekly (Funk, Steamboat, Bret, Meltzer in particular). But this was Flair slurring his speech more than ever, and dragging out his well-worn grudges with Bischoff/NWO. Conrad was smashed too, when he's the one often able to reset the show and get Flair back on track.

That said, certain things on there are really fascinating, even if they're false/exaggerated: claiming Beefcake stole jewels from Hogan's house, crazy drinking stories, burying Honky, Sullivan's secret plan to pop the Network, etc. I actually thought the most interesting thing was how little Flair thought of Bill Dundee, acting gobsmacked that Dundee had a place in the WCW booking committee, when most evidence would suggest Dundee was a vastly better booker than Flair, and likely a better one than Sullivan. They were also way off on the timelines and locations in certain stories, but such is the nature of old wrestlers telling tales.

I really liked the Mean Gene interview, I just wish they would have talked more about Gene's AWA & WWF days. I did kind of enjoy the bit at the end where Flair is like "I don't remember us having any problems Gene" and Gene was like "yea well I wasn't too happy with that time you had a fake heart attack in the ring with me" and Flair just starts laughing like "Hey that was their idea"

About half-way through the Sullivan show. I've listened to a hell of a lot of Sullivan on his own show recently, so was more interested in the interactions between these two.

I would much prefer a sober Flair, just I much prefer a sober Johnny Sorrow. But there have still been some funny moments here.

"What's the Honkytonk Man going to get me on? Not being able to work or not being able to play guitar?"

Most interesting thing probably is something that most people would likely miss: Flair is putting Sullivan over as a genius on this show, and yet when Bret buried him in show 1 ("Who's Kevin Sullivan, y'know?") Flair bit his lip. Just a little bit of a reveal into a couple of things:

1. Flair was clearly prioritising mending bridges with Bret in that show.

2. He put that priority over defending his friend in that situation.

Just interesting that he didn't pipe up. Although I guess in another sense, Flair was sitting back and letting Bret hang himself since he didn't say anything about Hogan either. You can tell which people in the business are close to Flair and which aren't.

One other thing is that Arn Anderson is coming out of these shows as a real character as the "master jouster".

Meh. It's not like it's exclusive to Flair's show or anything though. Austin has run into the same situation a couple of times. You can't have such a wide range of guests without coming across a few burnt bridges or guys who still hold onto some old grudges or whatever. I get that Bret's a case where the bitterness is a little stronger than most though.

But yeah. There have been plenty of people on Austin's show where he lets them say their piece, doesn't disagree, and just moves on. Shane Douglas sure didn't have many nice things to say on the topic of Shawn or Flair PERSONALLY, but he's mature enough to recognize their place among elite workers in the eyes of the boys and all that. But Austin's a smart host, and he's not about to blast someone over a personal opinion or bad experience.

I'm actually glad to hear Flair took the high road. I'm backtracking through all the episodes and haven't come across the Bret one yet, but it's good to know he's taken the hosting gig seriously. And yeah. I realize the ridiculousness of saying that on the week that he drops a podcast all liquored up. But hey. It's Naitch. It was bound to happen.

I don't think it's that he takes the hosting gig seriously but that he's at an age and has experienced enough loss that he realizes how fickle life is and he wants friends and not enemies (except for Honky Tonk Man and even then, he was pretty drunk).

The new one has JJ and Flair is eating his dinner on the air. It's really kinda gross.

The eating was actually enough for me to shut it down. I don't need impeccable production or sound quality but I won't listen to chewing.

God forbid you should ever see the 13-hour shoot where he's got the chewing tobacco.

Probably one of the things that make the Flair podcast so great is that it is so unprofessional whether it is eating on the mic or getting drunk or exposing backstage stuff that he probably shouldn't

The material doesn't bother me. Perhaps sad at times, but it doesn't trouble me. But the chewing is like nails on a chalkboard.

The new one has JJ and Flair is eating his dinner on the air. It's really kinda gross.

The eating was actually enough for me to shut it down. I don't need impeccable production or sound quality but I won't listen to chewing.

God forbid you should ever see the 13-hour shoot where he's got the chewing tobacco.
It's unwatchable.

And I am also anti-chewing, so I am not looking forward to this one.

Cornette sort of felt like the first guest he had that really understands how these things work. There were times he was trying to steer Flair away from things in a "don't you realize other people listen to this and we're not just talking for fun?" which was sort of amusing.

It's pretty plain to see that Flair had been censored by CBS after the last couple of weeks too.

Cornette sort of felt like the first guest he had that really understands how these things work. There were times he was trying to steer Flair away from things in a "don't you realize other people listen to this and we're not just talking for fun?" which was sort of amusing.

It's pretty plain to see that Flair had been censored by CBS after the last couple of weeks too.

Yeah, he makes mention of the fact that he isn't drinking or eating this week on several occasions to the point it was clear someone has had words with him about him.

Another great interview and considering how many shoots/interviews Cornette has done, nice to hear a couple of stories that I haven't heard him mention before (the one about Flair coming to a WWF PPV with Reid in the late 90s and one with Nikita Koloff for starters).