Pro Wrestling Only

Rick Rude vs. Ted Dibiase

Rick Rude vs. Ted Dibiase  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Rick Rude or Ted Dibiase

Holy shit my big ass Rick Rude post crashed. The one time I don't use notepad. The bullets and I'll get to j d

1) Badass.

-Rude's top 15 all time for me. The fact that a cool motherfucker that I would kick it with on the road in Kevin Nash looks up to Rude as the Ultimate Cool Motherfucker is one of those insider things that sticks to you and makes you always enjoy them a lot more(or hate them more like say Abdullah's whole shoot).

-Arm wrestling champion?

-Who did he knock out with a slap?

-Summer 1990. Cuts off the mullet and instantly looks like a new star.,and it shows off the upper body a lot more. As much as I love his 1989, short haired Rude is the chaw he to a top star

ALSO those videos of him practicing boxing and telling 425? Yeah that's real shit right there. THATS a fucking challenger in a fucking CAGE match! And this fucking guy jumped OFF that big ass cage with the fist drop.

Not this fucking bullshit DEMON Kane !,Oh he's CORPORATE KANE! He TRICKED US! And Seth looking like a fuckin lame when he can smash? Bring in some high flier, Ultimo Dragon or Liger or John Morrison for a night as an exhibition for something different if you got nobody.

Sorry got sidetracked

-He fucked Jakes wife to heat up the territory. Old school.

Those are the things badass wrestlers do

2) "Winner of The Jesse The Body Award"

Fuckin beast. As someone who's other passion is bodybuilding, what he put together as an ectomorph, cycles or not, is inspiring. Goals.

3) Matchez

v. Warrior SS 89 is ****

v. Warrior SNME, WM V, SS 90 are ****+

v. Steamboat I haven't seen except RR 88

I'll post more later. But Ted has what? Some Jim Duggan match ? Who cares about that minor league shit? Ya after that I'll watch Lesnar vs Rico the hairdresser from OVW. I'll watch some Million Dollar Man matches tonight. Love the white Alt gear! Maybe that's where Seth got it. from Summerslam in England. I love that show.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Lakers Fan since the early 70s. Was before Kobe, was during Kobe, and will after he goes to the glue factory.

One can appreciate and acknowledge the greatness of Kobe even while stating that the fashion in which he's played the game (and still does) annoys the fuck out of me.

It's the flaw of growing up watching the Walton Gang at UCLA, and then mature as a NBA fan watching Magic. I just prefer that type of team player rather than the "win on my terms" mentality of Kobe.

Doesn't mean that I didn't rank him in my Top 10.

And that's the analogy that I drew to Kobashi. Increasingly annoyed me as time went on, to the point that he captures a lot of what I don't like about a generation (or two) of work. But 1993 was off the charts, he was good before that, and had stuff after that I like. Have to give him credit.

I was worried you were a Queens fan. Isn't Dave?

Ya Magic Johnson is the best name ever outside of Gorilla Monsoon. He is the heart but Kobe in the brain of the Lakers. But tbh I traded my signed Kobe jersey for 2oz bud but I stil rock the signed Magic jersey. I don't know, im looking forward to him getting love this year.

goat, f mj

I don't recall Dave following the NBA back when we talked. Certainly not as a serious fan, like Keller is of the Wolves.

On the "Queens", my girlfriend was a Kings fan in the Webber era. I remember watching Game 1 of the classic 2002 WCF with her. Lakers won 106-99, and I was loving all the fouls called on Vlade, Webber and Chistie. My girlfriend and I didn't talk the rest of the series. ;) I ended up watched the rest of the series with noted Lakers Fan Steve Yohe, and the series remains a sore spot between my girlfriend and me. :P

What were those last two posts? And you writing off Dibiase because he had a great match outside of the WWF? What?

My bad I was blasted yesterday. Nah it's just that I've watched that Duggan MidSouth match before and I don't get And its ***** reputation is one of those things like Daves ***** for Richards/Elgin.

I don't want to sound down on Ted at all. He's going to be on my Top 50 and Money Inc should make my top 25 after i check them out. This another thing I need to check out with Rude to strengthen his case on my list, the Manny/Rude tag team. In fact I'm going to do some searching tonight.

Ted, afternoon was heavily involved as a player in THE biggest angle in the history of professional wrestling: The Hogan/Andre WWF title feud of 87 & 88. And he fit right in as the fourth guy in that megapowers/megabucks struggle because he owned that character right away. I'd have to look up when he really debuted, but when he had that segmant at Survivor Series 87, he already was top shelf. Wow the more I think about it the more I need to watch.

I don't recall Dave following the NBA back when we talked. Certainly not as a serious fan, like Keller is of the Wolves.

On the "Queens", my girlfriend was a Kings fan in the Webber era. I remember watching Game 1 of the classic 2002 WCF with her. Lakers won 106-99, and I was loving all the fouls called on Vlade, Webber and Chistie. My girlfriend and I didn't talk the rest of the series. ;) I ended up watched the rest of the series with noted Lakers Fan Steve Yohe, and the series remains a sore spot between my girlfriend and me. :P

Yes yes the Shaq-Kobe teams and the 3 peat, to me were the best Era of the Lakers. Shaq is like Babe Ruth, dominant character and in game and Kobe was undeniably the #1 player in the world with Jordan gone and Lebron barely in. Also I didn't see "Showtime" live so. But the Kobe, Pau, D-Fish, Bynum, Odom and yes, Sasha with the cheerleaders' headband on? That's my favorite single team.

Seriously why the fuck don't we have Chris Paul right now?

I can't take seriously the opinions of anyone who would write off Mid-South greatness as "the minor leagues." Yea let's compare the promotion that brought wrestling to the Superdome to OVW :huh:

Johnny was right, this thread needs to die in a fire.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Wow, this was actually a debate here. It's no contest.

DiBiase was basically the uncrowned NWA babyface champion. Was a runner-up to take it from Race and Flair. Just didn't have all the necessary votes. DiBiase was a main event face and feel. Pre-1980s WWF, he was technically sound, had good offense and selling, carried raw talents, and was a total professional. He's basically a clean cut version of Dick Murdoch and Dick Slater, and similar to Gino Hernandez and Tully Blanchard. As a face, he was a less fiery Tito Santana. He's like the Funks' cousin. My point is, he aces the basics and could work any match in his sleep. Because he could work face and heel as a ring general, he's was very valuable. As a 1979 WWWF jobber, he was second to Backlund there on ring skill.

His work holds up in the old footage from WWWF, NWA Houston, Mid South/UWF, St. Louis, and Japan. There is probably a lot more we will never see.

The old timers I knew would put him on a Top 20 1980s List BEFORE The Million Dollar Man. For U.S. only, he was Top 10 to them.

So let's talk the MDM gimmick. It was a character with lots of longevity and staying power. He was WWF's #1 heel. It ended when he ended physically. Does he have stinkers and does he play it too safe in the WWF? Was he boring and disappointing at times? Yes. So do a lot of people, including Rude. It's not totally their fault (travel schedule and WWF's policy to dial it down in-ring have more to do with this). But DiBiase (and Rude) managed to have great memorable angles and mic work. They were heels and we paid to see them entertain us and get beat up (or secretly root for them). Ted was in the real main event scene though- the big feuds with Savage and Hogan. Rude clearly was a step below, and his main event title feud with The Ultimate Warrior was predictably the end of his line. 

Rick Rude is almost the exact opposite in terms of career paths. Those old timers I spoke about never liked his workrate in World Class, CWA, Florida, or with Manny. You could verify this with footage. He was noticed as an up-and-comer due to his looks and mid-card feuds he was in, similar to Billy Jack Haynes. By his own admission, he was green as grass. But he was naturally talented and learned via experience by fighting the best (and worst) workers.His WWF run magnified all his good qualities and talents on a grand stage and covered his Jesse Ventura shortcomings (cliche tests of strength, awkward punches and stomps, boring wristlocks and chinlocks, etc.). Rude was comical but did serious stuff when he needed to be intense. For as much as Rude in real life claimed he never needed a manager, there is no question that his managers added to his act to get over and to cheat to win.

He eventually found himself as a high end worker in WCW. But it was so short due to injury. Yes, Rude finally was a top dog and had fantastic matches, but it wasn't for long.

As a draw, DiBiase beats Rude. He also beats him on longevity and peak. And in-ring work. And spot on cards over a career. He beats Rude on versatility and quality of opponents. Mic work is debatable. Charisma I'll give to Rude. But it seems like fans (probably younger who were not exposed to Ted before 1988 WWF) overate Rude's gimmick, looks, "likability", and that WCW run (it wasn't even the main World Championship anyway and is considered a low period in WCW- although one of my personal favs).

We have a lot of 80-87 Dibiase Footage now, between WWWF and Georgia and Houston and Mid-South in general. I think we'll be getting more Georgia in the next year as well. It's very easy to make a judgment that's not at all based on what "old timers" think. I think his babyface stock has risen quite a bit. I can't at all say the same for his heel stock, which I'd define as "soullessly impeccable."

I'm curious what others feel given all the new footage we've gotten in the last four or five years.