Pro Wrestling Only

Bret Hart vs. Curt Hennig

goodhelmet

Bret Hart vs. Curt Hennig  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better wrestler in your view?

• The Hitman
    • Mr. Perfect

I liked the best Rose/Hennig match that I saw better than my favorite Bock/Hennig match. I couldn't tell you which one that was off of dates though as I kind of watched them all at one sitting. I actually thought Rose was a better overall opponent for Hennig but it's not like there's a wide gap.

I think Curt was clearly better during the 80's.

I think Bret was clearly better during the 90's.

I strongly disagree with Jerry about Curt as a face and also don't agree with the implication that he couldn't carry people. I actually think Bret was a much more bland face than Curt to be honest, but he was in a big time promotion, that got behind him and let him do what he did best. In general I think the place and time where Bret had his big run has a lot to do with how you view him vis a vis Curt, which is not to say that Bret didn't work his ass off for his reputation.

I'd certainly rather watch prime Curt than prime Bret at this point, but that probably has as much to do with the overexposure of Bret and my fondness for the AWA. I will say that I genuinely think Curt's absolute best matches stack up very well to Bret's, and I am not at all sure that Bret's resume is deeper either.

I still haven't voted but I'd lean toward Curt.

I happened across some 80s AWA this weekend that included some Henning and now see why some say this is an argument. Will need to see what top end stuff is there and in Portland but if Henning's volume from that decade is substantial he definitely has a shot as Bret's stuff hasn't held up nearly as well as others from the era.

I can't believe i did this, as a long time Bret Hart fan, in fact he will always have a place in my heart for him as one of my all time favorite wrestlers, but I tried to put it on as hard, objective standards as I can. I mentally compiled an imaginary compilation of all of the best Bret Hart matches I could think of. I then mentally put it on the scale against the Curt Hennig compilation I already have . That's they way I wanted to view it, the best of one against the best of the other. I went Hennig.

• 3 years later...

I couldn't really figure anywhere else to post this thought (aside from "Comments That Don't Warrant A Thread"), but felt like it could belong here just as much...

Curt Hennig is still really good in 99'-00'. Not good enough in those years for this give him the edge over Bret in my personal faves list, but enough to give him more consideration in the grand scheme of longevity and range. Now, when I mention "range," I'm not talking heel/face (I believe Bret was a better heel than Hennig was a face if we're just talking WWE & WCW, which is what I'm doing). The range I'm referring to is when it comes to positioning - from midcard to main to midcard again to lower midcard. Hennig, in 99'-00', is just the perfect vet - kinda like how Goldust quietly added to his legacy with his ECW run just by being so dependably good in getting a basic match over.

The West Texas Rednecks gimmick isn't a main event-caliber gimmick, but damn if it wasn't entertaining. I'd also note that, of the three, Hennig was clearly the best worker of the group, even with Kendall being almost a decade younger. I just watched his match with Shawn Stasiak from Slamboree 2000 too, and, man, he just does every little thing right and the match gets over. The crowd is hotter for this straight-up, no-frills wrestling match than I thought any Russo & Bischoff Era WCW match would ever deserve, let alone one featuring Shawn Stasiak.

I know WCW's roster was pretty depleted by mid-00, but even in such a limited role, I don't think it'd be too crazy to say 40-year old Curt Hennig was still a top 10 worker in the company.

• 2 months later...

Great question, but I'd comfortably go with Hart. There's probably not much between them with in-ring ability, work rate or mic work, although Hart has had the more prolific matches.  I think Hart just comes off as a bigger deal with that intangible 'star quality'. Also, Wrestlemania 13.