Pro Wrestling Only

Best YouTube & Dailymotion Channels

Loss

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WrestlingClassics poster Qaenos will be starting a GoFundMe or similar for this:

"I've teamed up with Rocky Raymond to restore his entire WWF/WWWF film collection (1971 - 1982) to high definition. He has 40+ reels and I've restored one of them (from 1977) as a sample. The results are on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc_zAlOsGIw

Here's what we know for sure are on the reels:
1971.01.18 - Madison Square Garden
• Bruno Sammartino vs Ivan Koloff (Title Change)
1973.12.10 - Madison Square Garden
• Bruno vs Stasiak (Title Change)"

(http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=164898) has the full listing).

"The catch: This project is VERY expensive and we need to raise funds to get it done. If we do not get the funding to do this, it won't happen."

The 8mm cameras of the time seemed to only be able to film for a certain amount of time for some reason, unless the cameras themselves were so heavy one needed to stop filming to rest. I dunno exactly, but even the 8mm film my dad shot of me and my sis as kids is the same, you can always see the stops and starts through it. 
...And nothing against rocky Raymond and many thanks to him for filming all this stuff, but if these versions are without his commentary I’ll enjoy them more.

19 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Most 8mm footage that's out there is just a few moments here and a few moments there. When you're lucky, it's carried over throughout the match so you can get a sort of clipped sense of the narrative. That's probably what this would be too, right?

Have you never seen these, Matt? They were one of the first things I found when I came online. 

6 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

"fancam footage without the sound" was confirmed, but that's all I know. I'd imagine one would film entire matches if one was going to film, but I don't know for sure.

Very few whole matches in this style are around. If you do a YouTube search of 8mm wrestling footage you’ll probably find examples independent of these films that are all filmed the same way, with the stops in filming apparent. It was a thing. I’m sure everyone would have filmed whole matches if they could have but it’s a rarity.

4 minutes ago, khawk20 said:

Have you never seen these, Matt? They were one of the first things I found when I came online. 

I actually don't think I have. I've seen my share of stuff like this over the years and it's as you (and I) described but maybe not this vein specifically.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:58 AM, Dav'oh said:

WrestlingClassics poster Qaenos will be starting a GoFundMe or similar for this:

"I've teamed up with Rocky Raymond to restore his entire WWF/WWWF film collection (1971 - 1982) to high definition. He has 40+ reels and I've restored one of them (from 1977) as a sample. The results are on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc_zAlOsGIw

Here's what we know for sure are on the reels:
1971.01.18 - Madison Square Garden
• Bruno Sammartino vs Ivan Koloff (Title Change)
1973.12.10 - Madison Square Garden
• Bruno vs Stasiak (Title Change)"

(http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=164898) has the full listing).

"The catch: This project is VERY expensive and we need to raise funds to get it done. If we do not get the funding to do this, it won't happen."

Here is the gofundme information, as posted on another board I frequent which he wants shared in as many places as possible:

From Qaenos:

"The kickstarter has started. We only have 30 days to raise the funds needed to complete this restoration. To get DVDs, Blu-rays or MP4s of the complete set of restored footage, please back the project at:"

http://kck.st/3cYVugQ

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tragic news from Chris Hero tonight.  Jahmale could always be counted on for fun wrestling and sports takes and I'm sure dozens (more?) of us owe him a debt of gratitude for all the wrestling he's put online over the years.  I don't think its an understatement to suggest he was a key gateway to Japanese wrestling for many in the states.  All the best to his friends and family.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...