Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Flyin' Brian

Wrestling Games

Recommended Posts

Anyone seen the game Wrasslin before? Wrestling board game/RPG published in 1990 by Avalon Hill. Picked it up at Goodwill for a couple of dollars along with a bunch of other sports games Avalon Hill put out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I was just wondering if anybody here has played any tabletop wrestling-themed RPG's? Even the official WWF/WWE ones? Just curious if any of them were any good, or were awful, or if anybody just has any interesting stories about playing them. Thanks  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Hey, I was just wondering if anybody here has played any tabletop wrestling-themed RPG's? Even the official WWF/WWE ones? Just curious if any of them were any good, or were awful, or if anybody just has any interesting stories about playing them. Thanks  

I have a couple but I've never gotten into them.  I've been a Filsinger Games player since 1986, so I'm biased towards them.   I get out the Superstar Pro Wrestling game a couple times a year and run a show with that too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Filsinger has the simplest rules but packs the most flexibility as far as actually getting the matches down. Tag team wrestling is a landmine that tons of games get wrong or have pre-made teams. Face to the Mat is an interesting universe simulator but it doesn't have the sheer amount of content that Filsinger does. You really can't beat the lore of Champions of the Galaxy when it comes to made up rosters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been playing around with Fire Pro World for a while and I have hit on the one thing that is missing from every "fighting" wrestling game ever.

Transitions.

It's always a strike or a grapple.  If there is a knockdown you do an elbow drop/whatever or submission that lasts so long and reset.  There is no flow to the next move, like say a guy who is in a weardown armbar on the ground gets up (if their defense succeds, lets say) and the attacker still has the armbar.  Maybe the next thing that happens is a whip to the ropes, maybe the  attacker manages to get it back down to the mat.  Or maybe the attacker transitions into something else from the original armbar before the escape.  Things like that contribute to a match in a lot of ways and it just doesn't exist in the games people have made about pro wrestling.

Part of that is all of these games are made as "fighting games" where you are always trying only to win.  Having an entertaining match (or even better, one with a good story) is less than an afterthought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone get WWE2K Battlegrounds yet?

I still only have a PS3 so I couldn't get it even if I wanted to.  Looks like it would be a fun multiplayer, or back in my day an arcade game....

I'm really only asking because I play Supercard on my phone/tablet and was hoping someone would share the QR codes that come with the game with me ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 4:17 AM, cm funk said:

Did anyone get WWE2K Battlegrounds yet?

I still only have a PS3 so I couldn't get it even if I wanted to.  Looks like it would be a fun multiplayer, or back in my day an arcade game....

I'm really only asking because I play Supercard on my phone/tablet and was hoping someone would share the QR codes that come with the game with me ;)

I honestly can't bring myself to recommend Battlegrounds to be honest. You start out with about five or so wrestlers and have to unlock the rest by either grinding or resorting to microtransactions. In terms of gameplay, the move sets are unbelievably lacking to the point where there's only about two or three moves at best that separate one wrestler from the next - don't expect to be having any classic matches with this one. I've always preferred the simulation games over the arcadey ones, but the only reason I have this in my collection is due to the fact that I'm a schmuck for wrestling games. It's certainly no All-Stars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Robellion said:

I honestly can't bring myself to recommend Battlegrounds to be honest. You start out with about five or so wrestlers and have to unlock the rest by either grinding or resorting to microtransactions. In terms of gameplay, the move sets are unbelievably lacking to the point where there's only about two or three moves at best that separate one wrestler from the next - don't expect to be having any classic matches with this one. I've always preferred the simulation games over the arcadey ones, but the only reason I have this in my collection is due to the fact that I'm a schmuck for wrestling games. It's certainly no All-Stars.

My 8 year old loves it. It helped him get into wrestling. He now watches NJPW on ROKU with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2020 at 5:39 PM, dawho5 said:

I have been playing around with Fire Pro World for a while and I have hit on the one thing that is missing from every "fighting" wrestling game ever.

Transitions.

It's always a strike or a grapple.  If there is a knockdown you do an elbow drop/whatever or submission that lasts so long and reset.  There is no flow to the next move, like say a guy who is in a weardown armbar on the ground gets up (if their defense succeds, lets say) and the attacker still has the armbar.  Maybe the next thing that happens is a whip to the ropes, maybe the  attacker manages to get it back down to the mat.  Or maybe the attacker transitions into something else from the original armbar before the escape.  Things like that contribute to a match in a lot of ways and it just doesn't exist in the games people have made about pro wrestling.

Part of that is all of these games are made as "fighting games" where you are always trying only to win.  Having an entertaining match (or even better, one with a good story) is less than an afterthought.

There are several Japanese wrestling games for the PS1 or PS2 that incorporate transitions and incorporate the crowd response.  Toukon Retsuden 3 and 4, for example.

Giant Gram 2000 for the Sega Dreamcast is also very good.  

Dan Ginnetty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×