Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Project General Chatter Thread

rainmakerrtv

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since things are moving forward on the next phase of this project, I'll take the opportunity to officially drop out. Good luck to everyone still involved.

After 5 months of consistent work, even with constant upheavals and drop outs and long periods of little feedback, I've finally lost interest in this particular "game". If ever a new non-1983 classic league starts up, you can count me in, but for now I've done what I can for this one.

I think this one was handicapped by a large amout of drop outs and people not being consistant in their postings. It's frankly kind of ridiculous looking back because there was a lot of time spent putting together rules and guidelines for the game and then having some of the most involved rulemakers drop out relatively quickly. If you want to be part of something like this, know it is time consuming, but rewarding. Take account of your schedule beforehand because in every single case of people dropping out, it's a real drag and throws off others' plans.

The other big thing that killed my interest was the amount of disagreements and poor "conduct" by others. Don't be a jerk. This should be a fun exercise in booking and when you start getting super nitpicky about rules or butt heads with others over things that don't concern you, you harm the game's atmosphere.

We've had so so so many regroupings and nothing ever changes, but good luck to everyone going forward from this point. And thanks to LowBlow for working so well with me, first as a partner and then as a separate promotion. I wish I wasn't done, but I fully am; the drive for this particular game is gone, but like I said earlier, I may be up for another one of these in the future.

Thanks Beast for all you have done. I know I have only been around a short time but I thought all of your actions were respectful and classy. I couldn't agree with you more in that all of us still involved should stop nitpicking. Everyone's goal might not be identical and let's let everyone have fun and enjoy their posts. I think that it what this is about, the idea of remembering wrestling the way it was or at least they way we saw it. Each promotion has a right to be different and that is ok.

If you ever have the desire, please come back and if you have any time in your schedule give us some feedback on how you think we are doing.

Thanks, appreciate the words guys.

And any negative words from me aren't towards the new class of participants. Everyone who has joined recently has impressed me with their initial posts, with some great work already being done. I'll certainly keep myself updated as to what's going on as often as I can.

Since things are moving forward on the next phase of this project, I'll take the opportunity to officially drop out. Good luck to everyone still involved.

After 5 months of consistent work, even with constant upheavals and drop outs and long periods of little feedback, I've finally lost interest in this particular "game". If ever a new non-1983 classic league starts up, you can count me in, but for now I've done what I can for this one.

I think this one was handicapped by a large amout of drop outs and people not being consistant in their postings. It's frankly kind of ridiculous looking back because there was a lot of time spent putting together rules and guidelines for the game and then having some of the most involved rulemakers drop out relatively quickly. If you want to be part of something like this, know it is time consuming, but rewarding. Take account of your schedule beforehand because in every single case of people dropping out, it's a real drag and throws off others' plans.

The other big thing that killed my interest was the amount of disagreements and poor "conduct" by others. Don't be a jerk. This should be a fun exercise in booking and when you start getting super nitpicky about rules or butt heads with others over things that don't concern you, you harm the game's atmosphere.

This is something that has plagued other boards as well. People come and go, people argue over rules, people fight, interest drops - this isn't unique to this board and has happened elsewhere. Things will be worked out (which appears to be going on at the moment) and the board/league will continue.

Get your rules straightened out, put someone in charge as the arbiter of those rules and by all means ... have fun.

I don't know - 6 months or more into the project, there shouldn't be more discussion. Things by now should be set up. If you have to discuss rules each time someone drops out or someone new comes in, that isn't a recipe for stability.

New people coming in want something stable. Rules in place, easy to read, easy to find are a must. What comes to mind here is the saying: "Too many Indians, not enough chiefs".

I think we all understand that rules should be in place but it is because of so many people, including yourself, leaving at the same time, things need to be adjusted. In terms of too many Indians, I love the idea of majority rules. Why should one person have all the power in a game they do not own. This is for fun and everybody's definition of fun is different.

In terms of new people wanting things in place, over the past few months that I have been involved, the only rule change that I saw was a roster cap agreed upon. I do not believe one or two adjustments in 2-3 months is major. I think we have trouble attracting new writers because of the time commitment. I do not believe there are that many people with this hobby to begin with and to say that an evolving game is the cause of a lack of participation is incorrect.

Almost every person who has either taken a break or left the game has stated time or personal reasons. If you are more interested in something stable and with a chief, become the chief. I would always be interested in another game along these lines. Can you name one of these that exists today that has been going strong for years? I don't think so.

I had the territory wars for 7 years and I stopped in May for one reason or another... regardless that's a good run with anywhere from 1 to 10 people writing at a time. Lots if good and bad times but you find a way through.

Here, we just have to gain control of the purpose and figure out what is best. We are doing that. Of those three discussions I postrd, the redraft and promotion ones are big and the roster cap / draft order are minor. With these in place though, we have a lot more to build from and more foundational pieces.

In terms of new people wanting things in place, over the past few months that I have been involved, the only rule change that I saw was a roster cap agreed upon. I do not believe one or two adjustments in 2-3 months is major. I think we have trouble attracting new writers because of the time commitment. I do not believe there are that many people with this hobby to begin with and to say that an evolving game is the cause of a lack of participation is incorrect.

Almost every person who has either taken a break or left the game has stated time or personal reasons. If you are more interested in something stable and with a chief, become the chief. I would always be interested in another game along these lines. Can you name one of these that exists today that has been going strong for years? I don't think so.

I would have to disagree with you. Roster cap, what to do with vacant promotions, Free Agent listings to name just three - all things that should have already been in place. Is it major? I guess each of you would have to decide that and what happens when someone new comes in and doesn't like the rules? Will you vote to change it again? Having majority participation is nice but is not a good way to promote stabilization, especially if someone is going to call for a vote when they don't like something. BUT that is neither here nor there because I am no longer an active member as far as writing goes.

As far as numbers of participating people in this writing exercise/game ... again, I will have to disagree with you. I believe based on the number of leagues, You Book It boards and SIM boards, you will find quite a few people involved.

As for the last point about naming just one league that has been around for years and not being able to ... again, I would have to call you out on that one. Check out the Wrestling Classics board - their WCFL league has been around for 14 years. It is the exception rather than the rule but there are others that are going well.

These aren't the guys you should be scolding. They are the ones trying to keep this afloat.

Look at the 5-10 guys who started this and then dropped in a month or two. They're the ones who fought for the original rules and then dropped anyway.

You joined and dropped super quick. Don't start throwing blame around after the fact. Move on.

Maybe not, but it's not these guys fault that things weren't set. Like I said, the people who most wanted things to be a certain way left, and now the people still involved are trying to get things adjusted to a way that fits their liking. Hell we spent a whole month on the draft and designing the outline of the game.

And really, not much wasn't set. Go back and read most of the arguments, they involve one person. Whether it was about the draft, roster cap, vacant promotions or whatever.

I'll admit this; this wasn't set up in mind to welcome new promotions, especially in bulk. Originally dead promotions were absorbed and then drafted out the remnants. When it was one per month it was manageable, but then it got too much.

I am not scolding anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming anyone for anything. Like others, I just gave my opinion - you don't have to listen to it, you don't have to bring it up or do anything with it. I came in and noted some things that stuck out like a sore thumb to me as a new reader. That's all.

The above comments were to point out incorrect notations about things.

People coming and going is the nature of the beast (no pun intended). That happens everywhere. People get interested, drafts are especially fun and seems to get lots of interest but then the reality of having to write sets in, life gets in the way and stuff happens, so people drop. Other times, people argue, people don't get enough comments and a whole host of other reasons.

I hope they get things squared away and have a good long run. The more places that are open and operating is a good thing, giving writers more options and places to write. Always a good thing.

Telling me to move on ... eh. You're right, I joined, wrote and left in a few weeks. I'm a busy person. No ways around that. Then you have drama and some hostile threads. No time for that. Now, with several people out, maybe the drama is gone? I hope so. Possible re-drafting, rule changes and such, no interest in that so I left. No biggie, I was only in for a short time, so my leaving should impact no one but I'll move on.