Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Project General Chatter Thread

rainmakerrtv

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vancouver was technically open until the redistribution draft. And also Ontario is still open as a territory, for all that Big Time moved the roster to Detroit. Much of the Southwest (Arizona, New Mexico) is open territories, as is California (although the AWA does run shows in Northern California).

Houston I offered to take Houston in the initial draft and was told I couldn't. I was told it wasn't a real territory. I don't think it would be available at this point either under those same circumstances. (However, read below)

Georgia would be added to that list if we are going on defunct promotions that existed at the time.

I don't think there's anything against someone coming in, like Dex did, and working a town or an area. If someone were to open up a Los Angeles promotion or something similar I would be open for it. Much like a Houston or Atlanta... I think it comes down to the circumstances of that person.

The WWF is tricky as I picked up Vince and am utilizing him. If I have to move him, I have no problem. I did offer him up to trade if someone would like to bring him and the WWF back, but much like World Class without the Von Erichs, it would be difficult to see. Not saying it wouldn't happen, I just think if someone has these aspirations, we have to figure out individual schematics and work from there.

Georgia isn't defunct. Houston and St Louis are tricky ones, becuase they are just one town territories. I think the personal bits like Vince McMahon would have to be something the new writer would have to work around, you traded for him...

Georgia Championship Wrestling is defunct though... that would make the promotion itself open right?

If we followed your logic, due to this time period in real time, Bill Watts was running Houston much like I am so it wouldn't be open either, since you are running in Georgia, but not as GCW.

Not trying to split hairs, but when we look at open promotions that are now closed for one reason or another we have to figure out what that list looks like.

Georgia Championship Wrestling is defunct though... that would make the promotion itself open right?

If we followed your logic, due to this time period in real time, Bill Watts was running Houston much like I am so it wouldn't be open either, since you are running in Georgia, but not as GCW.

Not trying to split hairs, but when we look at open promotions that are now closed for one reason or another we have to figure out what that list looks like.

But I have Georgia TV slot and main arenas? Surely that makes a different? If someone new was to come in, Id lost half my territory and TV?

Im pretty certain Paul Boesch was booking Mid South talent, like he would go on to book WWF and NWA talent for his shows, it was never a Mid South town.

My logic is territories that are available at the moment, Georgia isn't one, Houston is one, its a singular town much like St Louis.

That was my issue with the absorption logic in the first place. When you absorb the promotion you get the tv and the area and the talent. But what if someone wants to come in and take over that promotion, we are saying they can't because if was absorbed into South Eastern due to an older rule.

If we were to follow that same logic... I took San Antonio in the absorption of those towns and tv as both of them dropped... but I didn't get the talent (some through the draft) but still get the tv and the arenas then?

The issue at hand is that some promotions got the absorption and some didn't. Fair or unfair in these cases, we have to work around it. I don't see how it is right to say Georgia is closed because you absorbed it and it can't be opened when that "rule" was thrown out by the mass exodus and people like myself who would have gotten San Antonio and AWA who would have gotten Calgary and so on and so on don't get that same luxury.

I think it would be great to run a single town. Think about running a town like Los Angeles and having only a few homesteaders while booking in all kinds of talent throughout the country week in and week out. If someone wants to do that, I'd be all for helping that work. I think it has been shown that I am all about helping this project run and smooth as possible and am willing to make someone else happier in order to encourage his or her creativity at my own expense.

Whatever works best for the group. If new writers come in, then we can work on what is open for them. I am working with Dex right now on a little project that could shed some light on those things.

I think the idea of "real territories" as we know it should be abolished for new people coming in and they should just run cities to start and pick a home-base and build from there into a promotion of his or her choosing.

Sorry, last response is a bit redundant at this point. I will expand a bit. We discontinued the absorbtion rule, but I don't see any point in undoing the work that took place when it was in effect. We are talking about all of two cities, and current promotions are using them for marquee shows. There are a plentiful amount of cities still available for other people to run as territories, whether as one city shows or larger.

I wish I never absorbed Georgia, it will always be argued...

It was a flawed system from the beginning Boon. I have no ill-will from it, it is simply how it is handled in the future that we can iron out. If we say that Georgia is yours and closed to new promotions, then we go forward with that.

It wasn't flawed, it's just people didn't want to absorb some territories and others did. The problem with it is you want to run where you want if no one is running it.

There isn't a winner at the end of this game...

So the issue is me running Dallas since World Class closed. Running San Antonio with Goc quitting. I asked to run Houston a while ago and was given the "blessing" by "founders" before most of them quit. I have run the town since I took over Mid South. If it is that big of an issue, I can pull out of it to make people happy. Like I've said numerous times, if someone wants to come in and pick it up, I will be the first to help them out.

Outside of Adrian Adonis and Masked Superstar possibly appearing on both japan and mid south shows at the same time due to the possibility of helmet not posting the show from earlier, I am excited to see what he came up with. I miss the Japanese influence we had going. I saw joeg posted some cmll stuff perhaps we could reach out for Mexico to be introduced.

Realised we haven't really covered retirements. Is there a list of retirements for 1984?

This ad deaths... I don't think there are too many deaths, but it would be good to see if we can put together some of this information.

In terms of retirement, I know ThunderBolt Patterson is going to be on the short end of his career around this time and moving into a color commentator spot on television which may be what happens in Mid South.

I have looked at my current roster basically has Ernie Ladd done in June of 1984. There are many free agents who are on the verge but that would take some serious work to figure out who. I think it should be the responsibility of the person picking one up to make sure they are still active. A quick search of wrestlingdata.com can show that. I mean someone who wrestles 2-3 a year is not active in my opinion.