Pro Wrestling Only

1983 Project General Chatter Thread

rainmakerrtv

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Sword was just lost in the shuffle? No debate over him being active?

Bruno was still appearing and even wrestling the odd time to time up until, I want to say 1986? But with him, Verne, Fritz, Stu Hart they should maybe only be used in there respective home bases, because all were having the odd matches here and there, but in there home bases?

You've mentioned Bruno a few times, and suspect it's someone you want to use down the road, maybe explain what you want to do with him, if anything, to help the motion being passed so to speak?

On a side note, we need to have a retirement list of sorts? Also someone dies in the next ten days in our game...

The questioning about Bruno is due to possibly him and some others like we talked about with Fritz and even Lou thesz, these polarizing figures in the history of professional wrestling. Is there a way that we could possibly use them for a one or two shot deal as possibly guest referees or something along those lines. I don't personally have any reason to use Bruno Sammartino, but I figured he is the biggest name in the world of Wrestling that is not in our database and wanted to question as to why that occurred in the first place. I was not here when the initial list came in Kris is not here to justify it so I just wanted to ask the question.

I would like to ask the same question in regards to celebrities, I would love to use Muhammad Ali as a special guest referee for a superdome show. I don't know how that is accessible right now with the way that we currently run things. Would it be fair to do something where we could book bigger name talent for one or two or three shows in order to build up and use their name value to add value to the presentation of our product. That's all I'm trying to figure out.

I already have the rest in peace list going on the Gamestation page if there needs to be a retired list I suggest that we put that together and then start doing some research on who is active and who is not active at this point in our world of wrestling.

I think we need to define retired. Many of those wrestlers would make a few appearances a year to hype an angle but were truly not "active." For example, my on Ernie Ladd had only 1 match after June 21st and that was in October. He did have another match in 1988. To me, his retirement date is June 21, 1984 and not October of 1984. I am still unsure though of what constitutes retirement. Is one match a month really active. I am unsure of how people feel on this but we should weigh in on what is active.

If we agree on this, we should all double check our own rosters and place them on the retirement list at the correct time. We should also double check before we add any free agents to our rosters.

In terms of the legends coming back, I agree with Boon that if it is in the correct promotion, it might be ok for a short angle once a year or so. Like Verne to the AWA or Bruno to the WWF but it truly doesn't matter to me. I think Fritz would be hard with all the sons currently in Florida and no World Class. He doesn't seem like he was into working for other people.

In terms of celebs, what ever the majority wants is fine with me. It is gimmicky but so is wrestling.

Well Jose Lothario I know is on his last legs as a full time in ring performer. He had roughly 16 matches recorded through cagematch, so he will remain "active" throughout that year and then be able to transition into a different role for me.

I think everyone is going to use retire differently.

If I had Ladd, I would use him up through his last active month and then transition him into another role in the company since he can be used in multiple different ways.

It's like if I brought in Lou Thesz... he couldn't work full time at this point, but he could definitely be a guest referee and MAYBE do a tag match, but it would be highly unlikely. Pat Patterson would also be under the same guard in my opinion. He is on his last moments as a full time in ring performer throughout this year but come 1985, he wasn't active full time but sparingly.

I think we need to define retired. Many of those wrestlers would make a few appearances a year to hype an angle but were truly not "active." For example, my on Ernie Ladd had only 1 match after June 21st and that was in October. He did have another match in 1988. To me, his retirement date is June 21, 1984 and not October of 1984. I am still unsure though of what constitutes retirement. Is one match a month really active. I am unsure of how people feel on this but we should weigh in on what is active.

You have to remember Kev that we don't have every single result from this period, it maybe that for example Ernie Ladd wrestled between June and October but their are no records of them...

Personally I'm happy with whatever, with Ken Lucas retirement I'm simply going to retire him before too long and then "move him to the office".

I'm not too interested in celebrities, and for bringing people back like a Thesz unless working week in week out shouldn't be involved in a match, but happy if he's a referee or a judge etc, just not acutally wrestling. Reason being is surely he'd become a roster member for it too mean anything?

I really don't see the need for a full on draft for celebrities. I had Eddie Mekka as a character (loose definition of celebrity) for a stretch and nobody said boo about it. You want to use Muhammad Ali as a special ref, just do it. If someobdy else really wants to use celebrity X as well, work it out individually.

I agree, there isn't a need for a celebrity/legend draft. Celebrities don't stay in one place for any length of time, and the legends aren't travelling outside their territory. would just suggest that if you plan on using a celebrity, start it as a rumor in the dirt sheets, then if anyone has issue with them coming in, it can be discussed at that time. Any disagreements?

I am good with the idea of celebrities being free to use. We can just announce it on the free agent thread or something like...

Mid South has agreed to a 3 appearance deal with Muhammad Ali. The dates of the appearance are as follows...

That way others can use him if needed or work around it.

With Thesz, Bruno, and others, if it is just a territory specific thing, that works. I just thought it would add extra flavor with them coming in as special referees or even a judge for NWA title matches or something along those lines. I would argue that Danny Hodge and Grizzly Smith would be guys that I'd like to bring in to do some of those same things.

To go along with Fenton, I'd definitely use the sheets to build it up.

In regards to retirements:

I show Goliath's last match in 1984 being March 9, with his next matches not until 1988. To me, that's a March 1984 retirement, so I'll wrap him up by my March 17 special. His partner, Black Gordman, I have steady results until February 1985, with another match in June before being off until mid-86. Since I know not every result is ever is known, I'd probably classify that as a June 1985 retirement (although I doubt I'll use him without Goliath being available).

Everything is open to a reasonable interpretation. Unless there's a year or longer gap and you're still trying to use someone full time, I think we'll be reasonable about it.

I know the current system is that we can only pick up one free agent per week, but I have been running behind and am just starting to get caught up. I had hoped to have phased out a couple of people in order to bring 2 people in as a tag team, but am only just coming to that point where I can drop them that I had hoped to be a couple of weeks ago. Would anyone object if I dropped 2 people and picked up 2 people to specifically act as a tag team?

want to get people's thoughts on something.

would it be tasteless if I had a heel become responsible for someone's real life death? I'm getting caught up on my shows from January of '84.

David Von Erich's real life death is fast approaching. So I was wondering if something like a heel being responsible in this world for it is too tasteless.

Buck Zhumoff could be added to the scum bag list.

Personally, Benoit was and is still one of my favorite wrestlers and I love Woman so if I get a chance at both of them, I'd be careful but I don't see the wrong with them in our world's timeframe.

In regards to david, I told you how I felt, it would be interesting booking to say the least.

want to get people's thoughts on something.

would it be tasteless if I had a heel become responsible for someone's real life death? I'm getting caught up on my shows from January of '84.

David Von Erich's real life death is fast approaching. So I was wondering if something like a heel being responsible in this world for it is too tasteless.

How would it work if he was in Japan?