Pro Wrestling Only

World Wrestling Association results thread 1983

JHawk

Good angle there with Hernandez and Atlas. I'm still on team Gordman and Goliath despite their inability to win a match. I've switched my allegiance in the Brisco/Funks war too and now I'm rooting for Dory to get revenge for his brother having his career ended by Jack Brisco in that WWF tag match.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

October 1, 1983 - WWA Superstar Challenge (airing as Wrestling at the Chase in St. Louis) from the WTTV Studios in Indianapolis, IN

David McLane welcomes us to the show as he is joined by WWA Commissioner Arnold Skaaland. Skaaland says the show in two weeks in St. Louis is shaping up to be one of the greatest WWA shows of all time, and he is proud to announce a new match for the show. Bob Orton Jr. has answered the challenge laid out by Don Kernodle and Keith Larsen, and on October 15, Kernodle and Larsen will face Orton and Dick Slater. McLane puts over Slater’s toughness as Orton heads to the interview area. Orton says he is bringing in the greatest partner he can find to take out Kernodle and Larsen…assuming both of them make it to October 15.

1. One fall with a 10-minute time limit: Bob Orton Jr. battled Keith Larsen to a double countout in 5:14. McLane states at the beginning of the match that Kernodle has had travel issues and in not in the building. Larsen impresses McLane with how even the match ends up being. Both men tumbled over the top rope to the floor on Larsen’s high cross body, and they brawl on the floor for the 10 count. The brawl continues, and Orton rams Larsen’s head into the ringpost, then drops Larsen with a piledriver onto the studio floor. Orton goes for another piledriver, but the locker room clears with pretty much every babyface on the locker room running him off.

While EMTs attend to Larsen at ringside, a pretaped promo from Jack Brisco airs. Brisco officially accepts Funk’s challenge for October 15 and says he is so confident that he will prove to be superior that he will allow Funk to choose the stipulation for the match.

2. One fall with a 10-minute time limit: Susan Starr pinned Judy Martin with a sunset flip in 6:39. Pretty much just a showcase for the ladies. McLane says that NWA World Women’s Champion The Fabulous Moolah will begin making semi-regular appearances in the area.

McLane interviews Blackjack Mulligan in the interview area. Mulligan again reiterates his open challenge for St. Louis when the Masked Superstar comes in. Superstar: “I’ve heard you say a few times that you’re the baddest man in the NWA. I’m here to tell you that we’ve been friends and partners before, but nobody is badder than me. I would like the opportunity to prove that to you in two weeks.” Mulligan accepts and they shake hands, although you can tell from the looks in their eyes neither man really trusts the other.

3. One fall with a 10-minute time limit for the NWA Midwest Television Title: Larry Zbyszko© went to a time limit draw against Jules Strongbow. McLane makes a note to explain that Strongbow is being awarded another shot due to Zbyszko walking out of the title defense this week. This week is more of Zbyszko stalling, as the final three minutes sees Zbyszko rolling out of the ring with seemingly every move. At the bell, Zbyszko grabs his belt and hightails it out of the ring, and Strongbow looks incredibly disgusted in the ring.

The interview area is flanked by Bobby Colt, Jerry Valiant, Abdullah the Great, Black Gordman and Goliath. McLane asks what the nature of their discussion in the ring was last week. Colt: “You see, David McLane, it’s time for a change here in the WWA. When I lost the WWA World Title, did I get a rematch for the title? No! Did I get a shot at the NWA World Title? No! These men right here (pointing at Valiant and Abdullah). Did they ever get a return match for the WWA World Tag Team Title? No? Are they being granted shots at the NWA World Tag Team Title? No! And my friends Gordman and Goliath here, they’re not arguing because of any internal strife between them! They’re arguing because they are tired of being overlooked for opportunities! That ends here and now! So-called heroes of the WWA, consider yourselves on notice! We are (pause) Dangerous by Design, and whether it’s Harley Race, Bobo Brazil, Brickhouse Brown, the Guerreros, Jimmy Snuka, Tony Atlas, or anybody else in this company, you better watch your backs!”

4. One fall with a 10-minute time limit: NWA Missouri Heavyweight Champion Nick Bockwinkel defeated Frankie Laine by submission to the figure-four leglock in 4:27. Bockwinkel yelled out for Sgt. Slaughter as Laine was locked in the hold.

Pretaped promos aired with Dick the Bruiser and King Kong Bundy, each man discussing their upcoming match at the Kiel Auditorium on October 15. McLane prefaces the pretapes by stating Bruiser and Bundy are banned from the building prior to the Kiel Auditorium show because they have been unable to be in the same building without a confrontation.

McLane announces that Atlas suffered bruised ribs, but no breaks, in the altercation with Hercules Hernandez last week. Arnold Skaaland enters the pictures and says Atlas has demanded a shot at Hernandez at the Kiel Auditorium, and Skaaland says he will not sanction the match unless Atlas is medically cleared by a doctor appointed by the WWA.

5. One fall with TV time remaining: Jimmy Snuka pinned Zoltan the Great with a Superfly Splash in 3:18.

McLane runs down the lineup as it stands now for the Kiel Auditorium show on October 15.

King Kong Bundy vs. Dick the Bruiser
Masked Superstar vs. Blackjack Mulligan
Bob Orton Jr. & Dick Slater vs. Don Kernodle & Keith Larsen
Stipulation to be announced: Dory Funk Jr. Jack Brisco
NWA Missouri Heavyweight Title: Nick Bockwinkel© vs. Sgt. Slaughter
Unification Match for the NWA and WWA World Tag Team Titles: Nikolai Volkoff & Krusher Khrushchv (NWA World Tag Team Champions) vs. Bobo Brazil & Brickhouse Brown (WWA World Tag Team Champions)
NWA World Heavyweight Title: Harley Race© vs. Chavo Guerrero

Plus, NWA Midwest Television Champion Larry Zbyszko and NWA Midwest Tag Team Champions The Zambuie Express will be added to the show against opponents to be determined.

With that, McLane signs us off the air.

What is Bob Orton Jr. doing all that to Keith Larsen for? That man has a family! Interested to see the stipulation on that Funk/Brisco match.

Nothing quite like a patented Larry Z stall fest. I am really interested to see where the Dangerous by Design stable goes, on paper it's not exactly the strongest collection of talent but there is always strength in numbers.

October 8, 1983- WWA Superstar Challenge (airing as Wrestling at the Chase in St. Louis) from the WTTV Studios in Indianapolis, IN

David McLane welcomes us to the show and runs down the lineup. The ladies are back this week in tag team action, including Women’s Champion The Fabulous Moolah. Plus, WWA Commissioner has order Larry Zbyszko to once again defend his NWA Midwest Television Title against Jules Strongbow in the main event, which will go on mid-show and will have a 15-minute time limit this week.

McLane then introduces Dory Funk Jr. and James J. Dillon. McLane mentions that Jack Brisco has told Funk that he will accept the match for St. Louis next Saturday night under any circumstances with any stipulation. Dillon: “One thing I always took Jack Brisco for was being a smart man. But clearly that’s not the case, since he has given us every advantage. Now, the thing when you say you’ll accept any stipulation we want is that you didn’t specify there had to be only one stipulation!” McLane: “What are you getting at?” Dillon: “What I’m getting at, David McLane, is that we are including two stipulations. The first one is that the loser of the match will leave the area for as long as the winner is obligated to appear here. This way there are no rematches, no mistakes, nothing that can possibly be overturned or reversed. The second stipulation…and this is my personal favorite, David…the Funk family made their names by creating, inventing, and perfecting the Texas Death Match. So if Jack Brisco is so confident that he can beat Dory Funk Jr. under any circumstances, then he can attempt to beat him in the match his father created!”

1. One fall with a 15-minute time limit: Judy Martin & NWA Women’s World Champion The Fabulous Moolah defeated Susan Starr & Penny Mitchell in 3:42 when Moolah pinned Starr.

Nick Bockwinkel makes his way to the interview, and he reiterates that two weeks ago he filed an official protest with the NWA to prevent Sgt. Slaughter from receiving his shot at the Missouri Title in St. Louis next week. Commissioner Arnold Skaaland appears and says that he has received a response from NWA President Jim Crockett regarding the protest. He takes a letter out of an envelope and reads:

“We have heard the protest of NWA Missouri Heavyweight Champion Nick Bockwinkel in regards to his previously announced title defense scheduled against Sgt. Slaughter on the evening of October 15, 1983, at the Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, Missouri. Mr. Bockwinkel does make several valid points in that Sgt. Slaughter has not competed in the area covered by the NWA World Wrestling Association, which does currently include St. Louis. It is also true that Sgt. Slaughter has not recently competed against the talent currently competing in that area. HOWEVER, it is also noted that Sgt. Slaughter has competed against, and defeated, many of the top stars in the NWA, and is consistently among the top ten contenders for the NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Therefore, it is the opinion of this office and the NWA Board of Directors that the championship match go on as scheduled.”

A livid Bockwinkel begins screaming at Skaaland, to which Skaaland responds with “I’m just the messenger.”

2. One fall with a 10-minute time limit: Hercules Hernandez (w/Gary Hart) defeated Spike Huber by submission to a horizontal backbreaker in 6:21 of an even matchup.

Hernandez and Hart make their way to the interview area, and as they gloat about the damage they did to Hercules a few weeks ago, Skaaland makes another appearance. He said that Tony Atlas was examined earlier this week by the WWA physicians, and while Atlas is clearly still in pain, he has been cleared and will be in action against Hercules in St. Louis next weekend. Hernandez and Hart don’t seem worried and are even laughing about it.

3. One fall with a 15-minute time limit for the NWA Midwest Television Title: Larry Zbyszko© and Jules Strongbow battled to a time limit draw. The match was almost a carbon copy of the week before, with Zbyszko rolling to the floor whenever possible and clearly running down the clock in the closing moments.

After the match, Zbyszko grabs his belt and walks backwards to the dressing room, taunting Strongbow the whole way, until he bumps into Arnold Skaaland. Skaaland announces that based on Zbyszko’s actions the last few weeks, Strongbow will get another opportunity at the title next Saturday in St. Louis, but this time he is going to make sure Zbyszko has to compete to retain the title. “I understand that as champion, you get the advantage of the shorter time limits and of needing to lose by pinfall or submission to lose the title. So I’m taking those advantages away from you. Next Saturday in St. Louis, there will be no time limit, and if you lose the match for any reason, including disqualification or countout, Jules Strongbow will become the new champion.” It’s Zbyszko’s turn to yell at Skaaland this time, and they argue all the way to the dressing room area.

4. One fall with TV time remaining: Bobby Colt (w/Jerry Valiant, Abdullah the Great, Black Gordman and Goliath) pinned Frankie Laine in 3:03. During the match, Valiant joined McLane on commentary, putting Colt and Dangerous by Design over while putting the fan favorites on notice.

As the match ends, McLane interviews Chavo Guerrero. Guerrero begins to discuss his rematch with Harley Race for the NWA World Title next week, but he gets interrupted by Bobby Colt. Colt: “There is absolutely no reason for you to be getting my title shot next Saturday, Guerrero!” Chavo: “Hey man, I beat you fair and square, and until you beat a top contender, I suggest you keep your mouth shut and…” Before Chavo can finish, he is attacked by the entire Dangerous by Design stable. They continue to attack until Mando Guerrero, Jimmy Snuka, Bobo Brazil and Brickhouse Brown make the save.

McLane brings Arnold Skaaland back out after the break. McLane: “It’s been kind of a chaotic week here on the Challenge, hasn’t it?” Skaaland: “I’m having trouble keeping up with it all, but I can’t think of a better problem for our company to have.” Skaaland announces he has finalized a title defense for Central States Tag Team Champions The Zambuie Express for St. Louis next week and is working on including Dangerous by Design on the card to give them a chance to back up their words over the past few weeks. With that, they run down the lineup for next Saturday night in St. Louis as it stands now.

Hercules Hernandez vs. Tony Atlas

Loser Leaves Town Texas Death Match: Dory Funk Jr. vs. Jack Brisco
NWA Midwest Television Title (no time limit, title can change hands by disqualification or countout): Larry Zbyszko© vs. Jules Stronghow
NWA Central States Tag Team Title: The Zambuie Express© vs. Jimmy Snuka & Mike Rotundo
Unification Match for the NWA and WWA World Tag Team Titles: Nikolai Volkoff & Krusher Khrushchev (NWA World Tag Team Champions) vs. Bobo Brazil & Brickhouse Brown (WWA World Tag Team Champions)

Nick Bockwinkel then makes another appearance, telling Skaaland “I didn’t want to do this. I tried to go through the proper channels, but the NWA Board of Directors has forced me to pull an ace out my sleeve. Next week in St. Louis, I have a surprise for Sgt. Slaughter and the NWA, and I don’t think anybody is going to like it. But I know I’m going to love it.”

And with that, David McLane takes us off the air.

October 15, 1983 – WWA Superstar Challenge (airing in St. Louis as Wrestling at the Chase) airing live in Indianapolis and same day tape delay in syndication throughout the territory from the WTTV Studios in Indianapolis, IN

David McLane welcomes us to the show and reminds all of our fans in the St. Louis area that great seats are still available for the show at 8pm tonight at the Kiel Auditorium. McLane states that while some matches are scheduled for this week’s telecast, most of the show will be previewing the event taking place tonight.

An extended video package highlighting the war between Dick the Bruiser and King Kong Bundy airs, showing their double countout in the Missouri Title tournament, Bruiser’s injury, the subsequent battles including the six man tag in Chicago in August. Pretaped promos from both men air where each man vows to put their opponent away.

1. One fall with a 15-minute time limit: Chavo & Mando Guerrero defeated Fred Marzino & Zoltan the Great in 4:28 when Chavo pinned Marzino with a moonsault.

After the match, McLane interviews the Guerreros, specifically asking Chavo about his title match later tonight against Harley Race. Guerrero discusses exactly how close he came to winning the title in Chicago and how fortunate he is to be given another shot tonight, saying how he’s not going to the Kiel Auditorium just to lose and he will either leave the arena with the championship or leave everything he has in the ring.

A brief video package airs showing Larry Zbyszko stalling and retreating to retain the Midwest TV Title over Jules Strongbow. Afterwards, McLane interviews Zbyszko, who says Jules has now had three chances to win the title and wasn’t able to do so within the rules established by the NWA. So tonight, the rules have been changed. “If I get disqualified, if I get counted out, or if the referee feels I’m intentionally trying to draw out the match, they’re just going to award the title to Strongbow. Rest assured of one thing. No matter what odds are stacked against me, I will retain this title. Champions always find a way.”

Highlights of the previous matches between Dory Funk Jr. and Jack Brisco airs. This is followed by pretaped promos from both men (J.J. Dillon doing most of the talking for Funk) putting over their Texas death match. Funk implies that even though the loser has to leave the area, both men are likely to be worse for wear. Brisco flat out says it would be worth his career ending if he can end Funk’s at the same time.

2. One fall with a 10-minute time limit: Masked Superster pinned Frankie Laine with a swinging neckbreaker at 6:32.

After the match, McLane interviews Superstar about his match with Blackjack Mulligan tonight in St. Louis. Superstar says the time for talking is over and may the best man win.

A replay of the Hercules Hernandez-Tony Atlas weightlifting challenge and Atlas’ subsequent injury is shown.

Another highlight package is shown highlighting Don Kernodle and Keith Larsen’s recent battles with Bob Orton Jr. Highlights of Dick Slater in action are shown and McLane puts over Slater as Orton’s partner tonight.

David McLane interviews Missouri Heavyweight Champion Nick Bockwinkel and asks what he meant last week by having a surprise for Sgt. Slaughter. Bockwinkel says “If I tell you, it wouldn’t be a surprise” before saying that he still feels Slaughter should not be getting a shot having not wrestled in the area, and as such he feels he needs to take drastic measures to assure only those who deserve the title get the title.

With that, McLane runs down the lineup for St. Louis tonight one last time.

Hercules Hernandez vs. Tony Atlas

Loser Leaves Town Texas Death Match: Dory Funk Jr. vs. Jack Brisco
NWA Midwest Television Title (no time limit, title can change hands by disqualification or countout): Larry Zbyszko© vs. Jules Stronghow
NWA Central States Tag Team Title: The Zambuie Express© vs. Jimmy Snuka & Mike Rotundo
Unification Match for the NWA and WWA World Tag Team Titles: Nikolai Volkoff & Krusher Khrushchev (NWA World Tag Team Champions) vs. Bobo Brazil & Brickhouse Brown (WWA World Tag Team Champions)

October 15, 1983 - WWA @ the Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, MO

1. One fall with a 20-minute time limit: Mando Guerrero defeated Bobby Colt by disqualification in 5:30 when Jerry Valiant and Abdullah the Great interfered. After the match, Chavo Guerrero came out to make the save. In the ensuing brawl, Chavo was hit in the face with a chair by Colt, which opened up a cut over Chavo’s forehead.

2. One fall with a 20-minute time limit: Tony Atlas pinned Hercules Hernandez (w/Gary Hart) in 3:10. Hernandez actually dominated the match, but after taking a few seconds too long celebrating a clothesline, he ran into an Atlas powerslam for the quick pin.

3. One fall with a 20-minute time limit: In a minor upset, King Kong Bundy (w/Gary Hart) pinned Dick the Bruiser with a splash and pin in 5:53. Bundy quite methodically spent most of the match working on Bruiser’s previously injured ribs and rarely went for the win. Bruiser finally began a comeback, but clearly winded, he missed a charge into the corner, leading to the avalanche and splash for the pin.

4. One fall with a 1-hour time limit for the NWA Central States Tag Team Title: Mike Rotundo & Jimmy Snuka defeated The Zambuie Express (w/Gary Hart) in 4:46 to win the titles. Rotundo and Kareem Muhammad were brawling on the concrete floor while, in the ring, Snuka came off the top rope with a flying bodypress for the pin.

5. One fall with a 20-minute time limit: The Masked Superstar pinned Blackjack Mulligan in 7:35 with a swinging neckbreaker. After the match, Mulligan asked for a handshake, but Superstar kicked him in the gut and leveled him with another neckbreaker in the ring and one on the concrete floor before Mando Guerrero, Tony Atlas and Mike Rotundo ran out for the save. Mulligan was helped to the locker room after the match.

6. Loser Leaves Town Texas Death Match: Dory Funk Jr. (w/James J. Dillon) vs. Jack Brisco. Brisco wins the first fall with a cradle, but Funk is easily up after the rest period. Early in the second fall, Dillon distracts Brisco, allowing Funk to attack the leg. Funk gains submissions to win the second and third falls with the spinning toehold. Brisco finally begins his comeback in the fourth fall and scores a pin with a bridging suplex. Near the end of the rest period, Funk begins to complain about an injury to his neck. As the referee checks on him, Dillon grabs a chair and jabs it into Brisco’s knee. The fall starts with both men down, Funk makes his way to his feet at the count of 9, and the referee completes a 10 count on Brisco and awards the victory to Funk at 22:26. The crowd is livid but they do give Brisco a standing ovation as he leaves the ring.

INTERMISSION

7. One fall with a 30-minute time limit: Bob Orton Jr. & Dick Slater defeated Don Kernodle & Keith Larsen in 15:22 when Slater pinned Larsen after using a pair of brass knuckles while the referee was trying to get Kernodle back to his corner.

8. One fall with a 1-hour time limit for the NWA Midwest Television Title which can change hands by disqualification or countout: Larry Zbyszko© pinned Jules Strongbow in 11:45, utilizing a double-leg takedown and putting his feet on the middle rope for leverage. Prior to the match, the ring announcer verified what Zbyszko had said on TV earlier in the day that if the referee deemed Zbyszko was intentionally stalling, the title could change hands. With Zbyszko forced to stay in the ring, Strongbow looked poised to take the title and scored six near falls in the final 90 seconds before the finish.

9. One fall with a 1-hour time limit for the NWA Missouri Heavyweight Title: Sgt. Slaughter vs. Nick Bockwinkel©: With the crowd firmly behind Slaughter, this was likely the best match of the evening. A back and forth affair, Slaughter laid out Bockwinkel with the Slaughter Cannon and was signaling for the Cobra Clutch when BOBBY HEENAN ran out from the locker room and hopped up onto the apron. As Slaughter turned and asked Heenan what he was doing there, Bockwinkel reached to his feet and took Slaughter down with a rolling reverse cradle, knocking Heenan off the apron in the process, and the element of surprise was enough to keep Slaughter down for the pin at 10:35.

10. One fall with a 1-hour time limit to unify the WWA and NWA World Tag Team Championships: Bobo Brazil & Brickhouse Brown (WWA World Tag Team Champions) vs. Nikolai Volkoff & Krusher Khrushchev (NWA World Tag Team Champions): While the WWA champions have control early on, the inexperienced Brown is eventually isolated in the Russians’ corner. Brickhouse shows a lot of heart and refuses to stay down, eventually making the hot tag to Brazil. Brazil takes the Russians down with headbutts and seemingly has things well in hand until Brown makes the hot tag behind Brazil’s back. A confused Brazil watches as Brown climbs to the top rope but gets leveled by a clothesline by Khrushchev on the way down. Volkoff tags in and drops a knee onto Brown for the pin at 8:23. After the match, Brazil goes to check on Brown and helps him to his feet, but Brown slaps Brazil in the face and storms off, leaving Brazil looking even more bewildered.

11. One fall with a 1-hour time limit for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Chavo Guerrero vs. Harley Race©: Chavo comes to the ring with a bandage over his forehead as a result of the earlier attack by Dangerous by Design. The match is a technical masterpiece most of the way, with Race surprising the St. Louis crowd by wrestling scientifically. At the 15-minute mark, the pace has picked up. Guerrero whips Race into the corner, but misses a dive and hits the turnbuckle face-first, which has reopened the cut from earlier in the evening. Race opens up the cut and tries for multiple pinfalls, but cannot put the challenger away. Guerrero finally starts coming back and has Race on the ropes, but every move he makes has him off balance. Guerrero takes Race down with a backbreaker and heads to the top rope for his moonsault, but as he tries to get his balance, he gets dizzy and falls off the top rope, collapsing to the mat. Referee Connie Marker examines the cut and calls for the bell, ruling Chavo unable to continue due to the cut on his forehead at 24:20. Race protests and asks for Chavo to be allowed to continue, but the referee says the decision will stand. After the match, Race helps Guerrero to his feet and shakes his hand.

Awesome stuff from the WWA. I like the big build to the Race vs Guerrero contest. I am also big on the Orton and Slater tag team. They are two solid workers who could put on some special stuff. The Sarge vs Bockwinkel is a great hidden match with two prime time players and of course with Bobby Heenan making his presence known. I also liked to see conclusion of the Funk vs Brisco contest. It was fun to write about in WWF so it was great to see it conclude here. So much talent and some great stuff, keep doing work.

Funk vs. Brisco still has legs, which is good because it's a great feud. Bock and Sarge had a nice twist. Now you've got Heenan in addition to Bock that needs comeuppance from Sarge. That's one way to write Mulligan out. Nasty. Of course Larry Z cheated to win, he didn't have the option of stalling or leaving. Didn't see the Brazil/Brown split coming though. Main event would have been a lot of fun, lots of bombs I would think.

October 22, 1983 - WWA Superstar Challenge (airing as Wrestling at the Chase in St. Louis, MO) airing live in Indianapolis and on tape delay in syndication from the WTTV Studios in Indianapolis, IN

David McLane welcomes us to the show and briefly announces the title changes from last Saturday in St. Louis. Still frames play of Jimmy Snuka and Mike Rotundo defeating the Zambuie Express for the Central States Tag Team Championship as McLane describes the action. Stills then air of the Russians defeating Bobo Brazil and Brickhouse Brown to unify the World Tag Team Championship, with footage of Brown slapping Brazil after the match airing. McLane says Brazil and Brown will be out later tonight to discuss their situation.

1. One fall with a 15-minute time limit: Black Gordman & Goliath (w/Bobby Colt) battled the debuting tag team of The O Zone (Steve Olsonoski & Jerry Oske) to a time limit draw. During the match, Colt spends the match at the commentary table with McLane bragging about how Dangerous by Design caused the injury to Chavo Guerrero that eventually led to Harley Race retaining the NWA World Heavyweight Title.

After the match, Chavo and Mando Guerrero confront Colt, stating they are not going to allow Dangerous by Design the satisfaction of saying they took either of them out. They issue a challenge to Gordman and Goliath for next week, which is immediately accepted.

2. Non-title match (one fall with a 10-minute time limit): NWA Missouri Heavyweight Champion Nick Bockwinkel (w/Bobby Heenan) defeated newcomer Jerry Grey by submission to a figure-four leglock in 5:28.

McLane interviews Bockwinkel and Heenan after the match. Bockwinkel says he told everyone he had a plan up his sleeve, and that plan was long time manager Heenan. Heenan takes his turn at the mic and says he has led Bockwinkel to world titles in two different organizations, but never the richest prize in all of sports, the NWA World Heavyweight Title. After proving himself superior to Sgt. Slaughter, there’s no way Arnold Skaaland can deny Bockwinkel a shot at what is rightfully his. Skaaland steps in and tells the champion and his manager that there will indeed be a World Heavyweight Title match on December 3 at the Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, IN, and that title shot will go to whoever the Missouri Heavyweight Champion is as of that date. However, he reminds both that Bockwinkel has several mandatory title defenses scheduled between now and then. Heenan says he can put the champion in the ring with anybody, the end result will be Bockwinkel retaining the Missouri Title and winning the World Title on December 3.

3. One fall with a 10-minute time limit: Another debut, this time second generation wrestler David Sammartino pins Zoltan the Great with a rolling cradle in 5:55.

Dory Funk Jr. and James J. Dillon make their way to the interview area, and Funk throws confetti and blows on a noisemaker while Dillon stands next to McLane. “It’s a glorious day here in the WWA, as after last Saturday night, you will no longer see Jack Brisco here!” When McLane calls him out for his interference, Dillon reminds him that it was a Texas Death Match, which means that there were no rules, meaning that it was legal and binding and Brisco has to go. When asked what’s next for Funk, Dillon says there is only one goal for his man to have, and that is to regain the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. McLane reminds Dillon that the Missouri Champion gets the next shot, and Dillon says “Well, if that’s how it has to be, let’s just say that even though we respect Mr. Bockwinkel and Mr. Heenan a great deal, we might just have to take that title off of him to get that opportunity!”

McLane then interviews the former WWA World Tag Team Champions, Bobo Brazil and Brickhouse Brown. McLane asks Brown why he slapped Brazil at the end of their match last week in St. Louis, and Brickhouse apologizes to Brazil. “The World Tag belts mean the world to me, I know they mean the world to you, I lost my cool, I let you down…” Brazil tells him it’s OK and they just need to work toward getting back in contention for those championships.

4. One fall with a 10-minute time limit for the NWA Midwest Television Championship: Larry Zbyszko© pins Brickhouse Brown (w/Bobo Brazil) with his feet on the ropes in 5:03. Brown yells at the referee after the match for missing the call, and Brazil comes in trying to calm him down.

David McLane announces that next week will see the debut of Koko Ware, and then highlight footage of Ware in action plays to the tune of Michael Jackson’s “Beat It”.

Arnold Skaaland comes out and announces that in addition to the tag team match announced earlier, also next week we will see Larry Zbyszko defend the Midwest Television Title against Don Kernodle. Zbyszko comes out and says he feels he’s being singled out by being forced to defend the title every single week. Skaaland reminds Zbyszko that the title is designed to be defended on TV, and as such he will be defending the title just about every week with few exceptions. McLane cuts them off to announce time has run out on the show and to join us next week for more great action.

I love Zbysko complaining about having to defend the TV belt. Dory vs. Bock for the shot at the NWA title is all kinds of strange and interesting. Also, then you'd have Dillon managing a match opposite Bock, which is also a bit out of the ordinary. Dangerous by design is aiming rather high if they think they will get the best of the Guerreros.

Man even as part of a new stable my guys Gordman and Goliath can't seem to buy a win, even over the amusingly named new team of the "O Zone." If I was a betting man I wouldn't be putting my money on them beating The Guerreros next week.

Dory Funk Jr. blowing on a noisemaker and throwing confetti is a hilarious mental picture to me.

Zoltan wasn't that great here.

Good show with lots of stuff going on. Sammartino with a good debut, picking up the win. He could do well here or at least be decent based on being a second generation guy with a famous father.

Zbyzko acting like Zybzko and not wanting to defend his title is par for the course. Good stuff even though the guy is a capable wrestler.

O Zone name is a good even if they didn't get the results they were probably hoping for.

One thing I give you props for is the way you are juggling all of the titles around here. Things are kind of crazy when you look at it on paper, but you've got a good handle on things. I am interested to see who really rises up through that stable of heels with Larry, Bock, Dory, Harley, and Bob Orton all in the way, not to mention King Kong Bundy waiting around for leftovers. Another thing to note is the use of JJ and Heena, the two premiere managers at this time. It would be interesting to see them int he same scene but I think with the right work, that they can co-exist.

Due to the fact I'm in the process of moving, TV the next few weeks will be mostly quickie results until I can get back into things full time. While NWA Showcase will technically air during this period, I doubt I'll take the time to write the episodes until I get settled into the new house.

WWA Superstar Challenge quickie results (October 29, 1983)

1. Koko Ware pinned Zoltan the Great with a brain buster in 9:46.

David McLane interviews David Von Erich, “visiting us from the Southwest”. Von Erich issues a challenge to Nick Bockwinkel for the Missouri Title. Dory Funk Jr. and J.J. Dillon interrupt, and an argument leads to commissioner Arnold Skaaland announcing a match between Von Erich and Funk next week with the winner to meet Bockwinkel the following week.

2. NWA Midwest Television Champion Larry Zbyszko pinned Don Kernodle with his feet on the ropes in 7:31.

3. Jules Strongbow defeated Bobby Colt by disqualification in 7:28 following interference by the rest of Dangerous by Design. Chavo and Mando Guerrero, along with Jimmy Snuka and Mike Rotundo make the save, leading to…

4. Chavo & Mando Guerrero defeated Black Gordman & Goliath by disqualification in 13:46 when Bobby Colt interfered.

The Zambuie Express (w/Gary Hart) issue a challenge to Rotundo & Snuka for a chance to regain the Central States Tag Team Titles.

5. Hercules Hernandez (w/Gary Hart) defeared Jerry Grey by submission in 33 seconds.

Next week: Zbyszko defends the Midwest Television Title vs. Spike Huber plus Dory Funk Jr. vs. David Von Erich for a shot at the Missouri Heavyweight Title the following week.