Pro Wrestling Only

Often forgotten periods of a wrestlers career...

Sidebottom

Are the Mexicools really forgotten though? They were regularly featured on Smackdown for a year. Juvi a little less. Plus all three guys were established elsewhere and this was their only run in WWE.

EDIT - Just watched that clip. Man, mid 2000's WWE was weird :)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Mexicools really forgotten though? They were regularly featured on Smackdown for a year. Juvi a little less. Plus all three guys were established elsewhere and this was their only run in WWE.

EDIT - Just watched that clip. Man, mid 2000's WWE was weird :)

I know I'm kind of spamming at this point, but Super Crazy would get mini pushes randomly.

Anyone remember Orton coming out to CM Punk's old theme (well, it wasn't Punk's at this point, but would be) for one week? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy8CdKztJ9A

The Nasty Boys turning babyface for the WWF in 1992. It still shocks me that after that face turn (which took place around Survivor Series '92), they still appeared on WWF TV until right before King of the Ring '93. I don't think they did anything at all for those six+ months.

Also that goofy and very brief comeback for The Bushwhackers in 1996 when the WWF was desperate for tag teams.

Nick Bockwinkel's hilarious and extremely pedestrian run as a WWF commentator in 1987.

Nick Bockwinkel's hilarious and extremely pedestrian run as a WWF commentator in 1987.

I kinda weirdly liked Bockwinkel's commentary when I came across it. He really tried to explain stuff, which was particularly amusing calling 80s WWF undercard matches.

Bruce Prichard as "The Wizard" late 1992 WWF weekend show commentator.

Was Pritchard also the guy that had the very briefly lived interview segment they did with the western/farm theme? I am having trouble searching it because the details are so hazy now. Only segment I even remember from it was a Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon confrontation. It was not on TV very long.

Bruce Prichard as "The Wizard" late 1992 WWF weekend show commentator.

Was Pritchard also the guy that had the very briefly lived interview segment they did with the western/farm theme? I am having trouble searching it because the details are so hazy now. Only segment I even remember from it was a Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon confrontation. It was not on TV very long.

Possibly Rio Rogers? I remember Prichard doing commentary briefly using this gimmick, but can't remember ever seeing an interview segment.

Batista's first (non-Leviathan) appearances in the WWE probably fit in here too, as Reverend D-Von's bodyguard/enforcer 'Deacon Batista'.

Has this been mentioned yet?

Psychosis, Juventud Guerrera, and Super Crazy debuting without masks in the WWE as the Mexicools, complete with an entrance where they rode on lawnmowers. Who thought up this crap? Wasn't Vince Russo, who'd usually get the blame for something like that, but I think even he'd blush at something so awful and offensive.

I thought it had tons of promise. Remember reading in the Observer that Vince stood them up in a company wide meeting and praised them for coming off so good in their debut. I guess Juvi blew it for them.

How about when Curtis Hughes came to the WWE in late 90s and was Chris Jericho's bodyguard/tag partner?

The craziest part was that he'd lost a ton of weight to the point of being almost unrecognizable, which kind of hurt his aura, but probably added years and other benefits to his life.

Reo Rogers of Reo's roundup. That's less obscure since clips made a PPV tape. The Wizard is so obscure I never heard of him and I watched every week of this time period.

I think the Wizard only did commentary for matches on All-American and maybe Spotlight. He didn't even appear on TV, just in voiceover form.

The Nasty Boys turning babyface for the WWF in 1992. It still shocks me that after that face turn (which took place around Survivor Series '92), they still appeared on WWF TV until right before King of the Ring '93. I don't think they did anything at all for those six+ months.

actually, they were money inc.'s main rivals. that feud was the focal point of their survivor series match, and i suspect that would've been the tag title match at mania were it not for hogan coming back.

also, something i swear i remember from my childhood that i've never seen *anybody* talk about: after the nasties turned face, they did a thing where jack tunney called for stricter enforcement of the rules against double-teaming. the nasties were doing a random squash match, and the new policy got them DQed! i couldn't believe it as a kid because i knew the boring guys using their real names NEVER won, so that was a huge shock to me at the time.

really, among guys who all left the WWF around the same time, i'd say babyface nasties easily did more than the natural disasters during that timeframe. to say nothing of the beverly brothers, or koko in high energy...that was a big transition period for the tag division, as i think about it.

Jim Neidhart in '93 WCW. Never had a program, never made PPV, but I do remember him being interviewed in WCW magazine.

oh yeah, missed this one before!

the extra-weird thing there is that junkyard dog also came back during that time and was his tag partner! totally random "cup of coffee" stint.

wasn't bill watts still in charge at the beginning of '93? bringing in those two has his name written all over it, and if my hunch is right this may have been one of the last things he ever did in WCW. really seems to make a lot of sense - maybe watts had plans for them and the new regime ditched them.

EDIT: '93 WCW might be the biggest goldmine for this thread. i already saw the blackhearts mentioned, and there were a bunch of other random guys getting featured for a little bit there. big sky, the cole twins beating several "name" teams, charlie norris ripping off tatanka's gimmick right down to the undefeated streak, the colossal kongs as the world's fattest JTTSes, RVD as young martial artist "Robbie V"...