Pro Wrestling Only

Often forgotten periods of a wrestlers career...

Sidebottom

I loved Mantaur. Sorry, this isn't the confession thread, but there you go. PN News' cousin, of all people.

Even more "don't blink an eye" stint of the same guy : when he played Goldust's bodygard, in full Bruiser Mastino mode, at a IYH where Goldust was supposed to face the Warrior.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it'd be a half-and-half.

I doubt Bill Watts had the slightest thing to do with what Virgil was named in 1999. Curly Bill is a "generic Western" name that also happens to be funny when applied to a completely bald guy.

The day that I doubt the ability of a wrestling booker to make a petty in-joke with a lower-card wrestler's gimmick, particularly when that wrestler is Mike Jones, is the day that I never watch wrestling again.

Warlord and Barbarian under masks as The Super Assassins in 1996 WCW. Bear in mind this was the same WCW that picked up 80s WWF guys on a regular basis at the time, so why they would bring in two well-known guys and stick them under masks makes no sense to me.

Bob Orton in the AWA in 1988. Apparently he and Adrian Adonis were a team for a bit.

They had a really good match against The Midnight Rockers there. Not sure how long they were together as a team.

It couldn't have been more than a couple of months - Orton shows up in January, and Adonis is gone by April.

Was watching Judgement Day 2006, and had forgotten all about firey face Jillian Hall feuding with Melina. It also reminded me of Beth Phoenix's debut as a face, where she was a mysterious figure from Mickie James' past, before (I believe) Victoria broke her jaw and put her out of action for a year.

Brutus Beefcake's short run as unnamed run in guy mentioned by CarpetCrawler actually intrigued me as a kid. Shame it went nowhere. Or maybe not.

Hercules under the masks of Super Invader in WCW and Mr. Wrestling 3 in Mid-South surely qualify.

Paul Orndoff's 1990 WCW run as part of the Dudes With Attitudes.

The aforementioned Caul Ouelette's extremely brief run as "X", with incredibly short shorts and a senton from the top rope to the wooden ramp that was horrific looking.

Hercules under the masks of Super Invader in WCW and Mr. Wrestling 3 in Mid-South surely qualify.

This reminds me of Pat Rose working as Mr. Wrestling II in Southeastern when the real Wrestling II came in and said he should only be known as Mr. Wrestling from now on and that he had found someone else to be Mr. Wrestling II. It was after he did all the heel stuff in Mid-South so it was kind of a direct copy.

The Un-Americans forming very shortly after 9/11 Test, Christian, and can't remember who else.

Lance Storm and eventually William Regal. But it didn't start for a good nine months after 9/11.

Really, The Un-Americans name is one of the most offensive, idiotic, xenophobic name in pro-wrestling history. Ok, so there's Goold Old 'merica, and the rest are all Unamericans. (and the fact they couldn't find any other nation than Canada & UK to represent what is "unamerican" is also telling… oh, post 9/11 WWE…)

People remember Jim Neidhart as JTTS Who in 96 ? WTF was that all about ?

Harvey Wippleman in 1996 with that weird angle where he was studying referees because he was fed up with their poor job, filing reports that he would send to Gorilla Monsoon. I remember the payoff being that he became a referee of his own and I am pretty sure the few matches he did had him calling things fairly. Then it was dropped without a word.

And speaking of referees, Jacqueline as a referee for the WWE in mid-2000s was another thing that I totally forgot until I was thinking about Wippleman. What was the story there?

There was a period in the mid 2000's where Marty would show up every year and stick around for a week or so. Anybody remember when he denied getting fired on his MySpace? On the WWE website, they "ended all professional relationships with Marty Jannetty" which really stood out from the standard future endeavored.