Pro Wrestling Only

Sasha Banks on the main roster

Sean Liska

Sasha vs Charlotte on the latest NXT was fucking great. It has a really awesome finishing sequence, and including the post-match this whole thing got over the importance of a championship better than anything WWE has done in years.

The ending sequence was top 3 finishing sequences of the year easily. Awesome stuff.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people say Kana, but she has more of natural look then what they go for.

I like Kana a lot. She does the best Crossface Chickenwing I have ever seen too. I'm not sure if she speaks English or not but I don't think WWE would give her a second thought either for the same reasons you expressed. Hopefully they get away from that mentality & just look at talent eventually though.

Some of the best wrestlers of all-time, male or female, weren't the prototypical look that WWE seems to seek out today. I wish they would remember their own history sometimes. Nowadays, a guy like Dusty Rhodes might not ever get a shot. A fat dude with a lisp? Would they even put him in developmental?

Shame.

Not sure you can still say this in a world where Kevin Owens is getting a big push. Dusty was taller and a better talker (obviously).

WWE has a much narrower view of women. If they signed someone like Goya Kong or Tsubasa Kuragaki and pushed them seriously that would be different.

Have they ever signed anybody who had a tomboyish look? All of the bodybuilder types they sign always have strong feminine features.

I know it's out of WWE's wheelhouse, but who are the best women in Japan right now, and do any of them meet WWE's standards for physical appearance? I'd ask the same question about Shimmer. Just wondering if the talent exists out there that WWE could make her a star on the same level as the men even if they did all the right things. For that matter, how are the luchadoras these days?

Hikaru Shida was the supposedly the Japanese woman at the tryouts. She kinda fits the look, but I doubt that they sign her. She gave another woman a nasty concussion a couple of months ago, if the WWE see that then they'll lose interest.

A lot of people say Kana, but she has more of natural look then what they go for. Kairi Hojo has been fantastic the last few months but she has more of a "girl next door" look to her. Although her vs Sasha might be the best potential babyface/heel matchup in wrestling. Mio Shirai is really charismatic and works a pretty simple style, but she retiring in the fall due to a bad neck. Yumi Ohka might be the best fit, her moveset is very WWE so she would just have to learn the "style". Her problem is that while she's attractive she doesn't really have a star quality about her.

For Shimmer, they just signed Jessie McKay, who was probably the Diva looking woman that they used on a regular basis. I think Melissa would work, but if she hasn't signed by now I doubt she ever would. Athena might work if they're looking for a female Kevin Owens.

Athena is supposedly being signed by them. Which is good, because Athena has a lot of talent, but is usually her own worst enemy. The structure of NXT/WWE will do her worlds of good.

I don't see them signing any of the other women you mentioned, pretty much for the reasons you mentioned. Same reasons I don't see them signing any of the Luchadoras who are pretty good right now. I mean I'd love to see Zeuxis in NXT/WWE, but they aren't going to sign a masked woman who wrestles her style. Sucks that Gail Kim sees Vince for the misogynist he is and has called him out on it, because she's a tremendously underrated talent who would do wonders with the likes of Sasha.

The talent is out there, whether it be in Japan, Mexico, or North America, it's just a question of who WWE is willing to sign.

I am a big fan of Sasha Banks and when I think of her on the main roster, her potential can go in two ways. In terms of her wrestling wise, she might be the best women's wrestler WWE has had and I'm not saying it in hyperbole. And that is a testament to all of the trainers down in Florida cause she didn't a have a big buzz of heralded work coming off the Indies. With that, she can a multitude of great matches on the main roster with the Charlotte and Becky and I get the feeling that all 3 of them have a chip on their shoulders. Plus watching that backstage video of Stephanie praising them helps cause they have behind the scenes support. If Vince goes the other way with this and still wants to push Eva Marie and Lana, then Sasha's prime years will definitely be squandered unless like other posters have said, they sign more talent the caliber as her.

Now the other way I look at Sasha is that if she doesn't get the opportunities on the main roster to wrestle then I think she still can become a mainstream star. As much as they like Eva Marie, Sasha is the one I can see being on Total Divas in a year or so. She looks like a star and has unique backstory that can open up doors for her in other avenues.

If Sasha is as good as everyone says she is, I look forward to her getting good stuff out of the lesser Divas. It's been too long since we've had that type of featured worker who can carry just about anyone to something really good.

She's been doing this on NXT with a lot of the greener women. She has very much of a Ric Flair vibe to her with the way she acts and carries herself, and wrestles, against lesser workers.

I hope people aren't going to be disappointed when she isn't the game changer they think she'll be. Aside from Vince/Dunn's unfortunate views, anyone stop and think why the women on the main roster, Paige and Emma specifically, still have mostly mediocre matches even when occasionally given time?

I don't think Emma has ever been given a match longer than 5 minutes on the main roster. She's really good though, even in the dreadful shit the main has given her she's looked good. I guess most people aren't high on Paige now, and I do think her main roster run has revealed she's not someone to lead other people in a match. But, I still think she's a good worker capable of good things.

However, I don't think either correlates to Sasha, who is leagues above either one of them, and has shown the ability to lead lesser workers to better than they are capable of (specifically Charlotte).

Paige has never impressed me outside of the Emma matches. Every time I've seen Paige in the ring with Nikki I've thought Nikki was the better of the two. I saw a match in NXT between Sasha and Paige where Sasha was still doing her generic face stuff, and it was clear Sasha was the better of the two in that match. Paige has really bad timing from what I've seen of her work. I just think she got overhyped much like AJ.

It's also possible she's had a lot of the confidence beaten out of her. We've heard plenty of people talk about how WWE gives mixed signals to wrestlers so much that they start doubting themselves and making mistakes they never would have made before that. I don't know if that is what happened with Paige, but we've seen it happen with others.

The one thing I noticed from the segment on Monday was how each of the NXT women had a define unique character while the WWE women were pretty much the same, catty and short tempered. With Paige, her charisma and personality are her big strengths. In NXT, the announcers would always push how different she was than the other women, with the main roster they didn't even try anything like that with her. That's whats most important about this angle, more than giving them longer match, can they give the audience a reason to want to see the Divas go 10+ minutes rather than seeing if they can actually put on a good match.

I love Sasha Banks. She's one of my favorite active wrestlers right now. But she's not some kind of superworker who's going to drag moty candidates out of mediocre women on raw or whatever. if given time and the opportunity to work a good match and given someone who can hang with her then she can definitely have some really good matches but I don't see her carrying people left and right. Something I really think Sasha might have difficulty with on the main roster is that so much of what makes her awesome is her brutal submission style. She works really great from on top and is at her best when she's methodically stretching her opponent. on the main roster they seemingly expect the women to go out and work at a frantic pace and hit nothing but highspots and I wonder if the agents there will even let her work at the pace that suits her best.

I love Sasha Banks. She's one of my favorite active wrestlers right now. But she's not some kind of superworker who's going to drag moty candidates out of mediocre women on raw or whatever. if given time and the opportunity to work a good match and given someone who can hang with her then she can definitely have some really good matches but I don't see her carrying people left and right. Something I really think Sasha might have difficulty with on the main roster is that so much of what makes her awesome is her brutal submission style. She works really great from on top and is at her best when she's methodically stretching her opponent. on the main roster they seemingly expect the women to go out and work at a frantic pace and hit nothing but highspots and I wonder if the agents there will even let her work at the pace that suits her best.

Her work with the likes of Carmella, Leva Bates, and even Charlotte says differently.

Yeah but those are lesser workers she gets to work with within the confines of NXT with all its inherent advantages. Better booking, serious preentation, time for matches, an appreciative crowd.

There's a difference between working in that environment with a lesser worker, and trying to work a 3-minute Divas sprint in the toilet break segment with no storyline or even discernible characters, which is what main roster girls have to deal with most of the time.