Pro Wrestling Only

Undertaker and Sting to work Summerslam

Strummer

Bachelor and Bachelorette? Waitress / waiter? Why can't we just stick to the rasslin?

Hmm.. same root word, same thing. Yes, let's go back to wrestling.

The last few weeks on TV the women have been treated with more respect than the tag division is. That's a positive. Baby steps.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bachelor and Bachelorette? Waitress / waiter? Why can't we just stick to the rasslin?

Those are terms that have been used colloquially for like over a hundred years and originated during a time when gender equality was not a thing. It's hard to change something that is used by society as a whole. By contrast the terms Superstar and Diva were invented in the wrestling context in the last 20 years in a post-feminism era when there's really no excuse to go out of your way to highlight the gender separation. Besides WWE keeps trying to push the Divas division as some sort of women's empowerment movement so simply calling them Superstars along with the men instead of using something with a negative connotation like Divas would make sense in that context.

Those are terms that have been used colloquially for like over a hundred years and originated during a time when gender equality was not a thing. It's hard to change something that is used by society as a whole. By contrast the terms Superstar and Diva were invented in the wrestling context in the last 20 years in a post-feminism era when there's really no excuse to go out of your way to highlight the gender separation. Besides WWE keeps trying to push the Divas division as some sort of women's empowerment movement so simply calling them Superstars along with the men instead of using something with a negative connotation like Divas would make sense in that context.

Spot on. And I think emphasizing the sexy (and catty, unfortunately) side of the sexy/athletic duality will make it a bit harder to get them over as athletes. But I just saw a long, pretty good women's match in WWE last night, and that's a good thing.

Oh, and bachelor/bachelorette is pretty necessary to describe a man and woman in relation to each other, and waiter/waitress have been joined by the increasingly popular "server." :)

As overplayed and stale Bray Wyatt is, Sting was a guy I could have seen him wanting to bring his A-game for. Sting's gimmick fits in the whole Wyatt Family mythos quite well and of course being a Windham, there probably is some respect for Sting somewhere there too that he would try to put more of a focus in the storyline.

As it stands, a rehashed Shield vs Wyatt Family feud (sans two members) doesn't entice me that much.

I'm not so sure how they would have shoehorned Sting into this angle, I don't even want to think about the promos they'd write for Bray to explain it. Between that and possibly sticking someone in the Wyatt family who wouldn't have been a fit, it's probably for the best they just decided to go with the 2 on 2 match.

I'm all for a new version of Shield vs. Wyatts. Those matches ruled. And I was struggling to think of a reason Sting would have been involved in the first place.

Of course, they could be working everyone and they'll do some kind of deal where a new Wyatt appears during the match and Sting appears to even the odds, being an agent of justice and all that. They still advertised that Sting is going to be at some appearance that weekend.

I'm all for a new version of Shield vs. Wyatts. Those matches ruled. And I was struggling to think of a reason Sting would have been involved in the first place.

Of course, they could be working everyone and they'll do some kind of deal where a new Wyatt appears during the match and Sting appears to even the odds, being an agent of justice and all that. They still advertised that Sting is going to be at some appearance that weekend.

Yeah the matches ruled but creatively its kinda taking a step backwards for both Reigns and Ambrose (Reigns moreso). It would be difficult to see how they fit Sting in but I was still interested to see it happen. Again Bray is just spinning his wheels in mud at this point but Sting is a guy the whole creepy factor would have been perfect. Something sorta gothic about all of it. But then again Sting was nearly killed off as a character at Wrestlemania so who knows?

I don't think of it as a "step backwards", it's a return to a fued that should never totally die. These guys should always carry a vibe that every so often, they are at odds. Shit, the whole angle is based on Bray's professional jealousy of Reigns. It only makes sense that it spread to Harper and Ambrose. Ambrose has stayed friends with Roman, had his own fued with Bray, Bray just explained that it was time for Harper to back to the fold...it's all good shit. And Reigns is on his "redemption tour" this year. Time to move from singles dudes to a big team up angle.

Considering he was wrestling for the world title at Wrestlemania and then was involved in programs with guys in the Authority including the world champion, yeah its a step backward. Redemption? If they wanted to redeem him they wouldn't put him with a guy who is getting go away heat at this point. The only way being paired with Bray Wyatt redeems him is if he is the one to put Bray Wyatt out of his misery and he is never heard from again.

Has there been someone who's fallen as fast as Roman? He was the guy the company was hell bent on making THE MAN for over a year, and now he's in mid card feuds and wasn't on either TV show this week.

Loads of wrestlers in history. Loads. In fact, Roman's "fall" is nothing compared to some examples I'm sure anyone here could reel off.

Heidenreich was never put in a position to be a true blue main event act. Roman Reigns had the Survivor Series elimination record, had the Royal Rumble eliminations record then won the damn thing a year later. He had a Wrestlemania main event match which was a title match against a killer act like Brock Lesnar who they don't waste appearances on just anybody. What the hell did Heidenreich have in comparison? Besides rape Michael Cole?

The "fall" of Roman is a good thing though. I think he is far more interesting developing his character in the mid card, adding layers to his persona and honing his craft a bit more. I was pretty bored with him on his way to Wrestlemania, but that was less to do with him being "not ready" and more to do with me just being bored by the superman shtick. Wyatt helps make everyone better around him and some good feuds before a re-elevation would make his next run at the title a lot more compelling.