Pro Wrestling Only

G-1 Climax 25 Discussion

soup23

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yujiro Takahashi vs. Hirooki Goto

This was my first surprise good match of the tournament. Yujiro has probably been the worst guy in Japan consistently for around 2 years now and while he didn't do anything extraordinary here, he at least stayed on offense and kept the pace going. This match was structured as a nice contrast from the big bomb fest that preceded it. Shockingly enjoyable. ***

Ibushi vs Gallows

This was fun. They told a basic story of the big man vs little man. Gallows kicked Ibushi's ass. Ibushi sold. We had some fun hope spots. Ibushi timed his comebacks well. Ibushi sells an ass kicking better than his limb selling. Some of Ibushi rope running looked weak. 3*

AJ Styles vs Yano

AJ doing a Hulkster pose was bad timing. This was a strong Styles performance. It's kinda fun watching Styles incorporating his stuff with Yano's schtick. This was entertaing. The way Styles worked the crowd was impressive, and it's stuff like that would have benefited the draw in ROH 3*

Shibata vs Naito

Loved Shibata punting Naito. Nice Naito got my notes about heels and tassles on his boots.Everything Shibata does looks deadly. Loved Shibata's counter of Naito's token corner spot. That knee lock by Naito looks nasty. I enjoyed this a good deal. It was real fun. 3 1/2*

About to watch Honma-Okada from Night 4 and this tournament has been nothing special so far. Lots of alright wrestling.

Best matches so far:
AJ vs Shibata

Nakamura vs Nagata

Nothing else is 3 3/4 for me. Although we should be comparing the first 4 shows to the first 2 shows last year and its not way behind that yet. Last year didn't get awesome till night 4 or 5, so there is still hope.

I thought Nagata v. Nakamura was fine, but nothing special. I've felt that way about a lot of the matches.

Through four nights I think the best matches have been Shibata v. Naito, Styles v. Yano, Styles v. Shibata and Ishii v. Kojima. There is other stuff I've liked to one degree or another, but those are the only four matches I would tell people to go out of their way to see and the fourth of those is pretty borderline in that regard. Styles individual performance v. Yano is the best performance I've seen out of anyone in the tournament by a WIDE margin. Night 3 is the only one of the four shows I would even consider good. Other things to note is that I enjoy Naito's new ridiculous character, and I sort of shrug my way through Honma matches at this point because I know he has no chance so the "hot" stretch runs just feel like shit they do because it's expected.

Shibata-Naito was a great match and a reminder how much better Naito is than dorks like Goto and Anderson. He's already mastered the character work, all that's left is for him to start wrestling more like Rush and less like Mutoh.

It's a tournament series-- you don't need to have decisive win after decisive win and the "toss them a win here" mindset if you actually have draws, and draws actually add to the drama and story of a tournament, AND THEY ALMOST NEVER EVEN GET CLOSE TO THE TIME LIMIT ANYWAY!

I think that Honma-Okada with the same result would have been a better match if they only had 20 minutes because if nothing else, you can buy that Honma might get a draw off of the champ. It's just way better for booking. I don't really see an argument for why a 30 minute time limit is better when they never, ever run draws.

Okay I am confused. Is the show last night available on NJ World because it looks like some people have seen it based on my Twitter? Was it working fine live and then there was an issue with the replay?

EDIT: It looks like some of them are out there in singles matches but the show isn't