Pro Wrestling Only

How do you guys manage your watching

Mad Dog

I work a ton, which means that my home time is spent with the family and not consuming wrestling in any manner. I mainly watch wrestling when I'm at work, and that depends on how many people call 911 that day. There are days where I watch non-stop, days where I watch two or three matches, and days where I don't get a single match in. I have lots of projects going on, but I do a lot of umping around. I find it helps to keep the wrestling fresher for me.

I have to fit more in. Back when I was a single guy I could watch hours of wrestling and regularly swapped DVDs with my brother when I wasn't downloading videos myself.

Then I became a dad and found a career (not necessarily in that order) and now I make time to watch the current product (WWE, NJ on AXS, ROH, NXT, LU) and squeeze in whatever archived stuff I can whenever. As for TNA, I was watching every week until it became a Jeff Jarrett vanity project again. I refuse to watch that shit.

I try to watch chronologically. The good is that it's easier to capture context. The bad is that I get so wrapped up in the idea of watching everything in chronological order that I get stuck at the gate. My next viewing project will be pre-1970s wrestling, but I don't want to make it to 1955, then find a bevy of matches from 1949 that I didn't know about. As a result, I've spent the last few months gathering matches and not much time watching them. Sooner than later, that will change, but I can be my own worst enemy on that front.

Still, I do think the chronological approach is the best one for me. Following a single promotion is not ideal for me, nor is watching a compilation of a single wrestler's matches straight through something that really appeals to me. I have to break the monotony, which is another reason I enjoy watching chronologically but on a global scale -- I'm bouncing around from company to company, but there is still some underlying structure to it all. Also, it's great that we have all these complete shows on a regular basis, but give me the highlights. I'm very middle management that way. Break it down into the stuff I need to see (and for me, everything I see ranked at the 3* level or above is something I want to watch) and let me skip everything else. I hate watching complete shows, which is one of the biggest reasons current wrestling doesn't appeal to me. I also like some distance from the moment because I think I'm better able to articulate my thoughts. When I don't have that distance, I end up saying things about the 2014 Elimination Chamber that people still won't let me live down 18 months later.

I'm very much the type who wants to watch everything from January, rank the matches from January, then watch everything from February, rank the matches from February and so on. If footage from a time period I've already covered surfaces, I'll be both excited and really mad that my timeline is ruined. The archivist in me gets excited when I pinpoint a date after some struggle and as odd as it may sound, not knowing at least a year for a match is probably enough to ensure that I'll never watch it.

So yeah, I'm taking on the completely unrealistic goal of watching wrestling starting from the beginning of film and going all the way to the present. Maybe by the time I'm fully caught up, I can watch all of the current stuff and be more a part of the zeitgeist. So see you guys in 2050, where we can be annoyed by a cryogenic Vince McMahon continuing to write television.

I work a ton, which means that my home time is spent with the family and not consuming wrestling in any manner. I mainly watch wrestling when I'm at work, and that depends on how many people call 911 that day. There are days where I watch non-stop, days where I watch two or three matches, and days where I don't get a single match in. I have lots of projects going on, but I do a lot of umping around. I find it helps to keep the wrestling fresher for me.

Cool job.

I am very boom bust, not just about wrestling but with everything. I've been working 10-15 hours a day recently trying to get this book finished so my wrestling watching has been minimal. I also have "super human" abilities to stay up all night which have been severely on the wane recently, probably the combination of aforementioned long work days plus the fact I started doing spin cycle classes, which are really draining. This has also affected my viewing time, which is often late. But then something can trigger, like that youtube channel being found and I watched matches from there for about five hours straight from 3am to 8am.

These binges, I think, which come from time to time, probably over-represent my watching. Chad and Charles or anyone who did DVDR, or who who has done podcasts with me, can tell you that I'm usually the last one to get through footage. Most weeks I'm struggling just to watch the stuff for podcasts.

I also have a girlfriend, just so happens she went to New York this week. Now, while she's more understanding about my podcasting habits than my ex-wife was -- who would literally just come in the room and glare and wait there until I wrapped up -- she's still a woman at the end of the day, and so when she's around that curtails possibilities of watching too. And she has done the anti-podcast routine once -- you can even locate it on the end of that show I did with Will on two 70s matches, you'll notice I go real quiet at the end -- but to be fair it was 3am and she said I was keeping her up. But she doesn't live here (at least not yet).

One thing I'm grateful for is that I have a job that allows me to pick my own spots most of the time. It's not like a 9-5, so I can work around things more.

But I do not think I will watch more wrestling than the average here in any given week. I completely don't watch any current stuff. Sometimes a PPV.

It's peaks and valleys for me. I'm always up on current WWE. I have an obsessive personality so I'll watch the same wrestler or company over a period of time until I get sick of it. I love too much other stuff like football, basketball, and Netflix. This means I get caught up in those hobbies over wrestling sometimes.

Precisely. My current obsession is Survivor, which is basically wrestling, anyhow. I had never seen an episode and then decided to watch it on Prime on a whim and because my girlfriend likes it. I haven't watched anything else except a preseason football game in three weeks. It's got qualities like absurdity, etc. that also draw me to wrestling in the first place.

Once the NFL starts, I probably won't watch anything else.

I'm glad to see someone else thinks Survivor and wrestling share some similar qualities. Parvati is my all time favorite player and a fantastic heel to boot!

Poorly.

You think you're doing it poorly, at least you still get columns up at Segunda Caida at a nice clip.

Poor time management has always been my biggest achilles heel, and that applies to things I do for fun as much as it does everything else in my life. I've made a concentrated effort to fix that, but the usual result is that fun stuff like wrestling often gets pushed way into the back in favor of work and physical fitness goals. Someday, I'll make sense of it all, and I still have big dreams of updating the Complete and Accurate Meiko and Pirata projects more regularly and spearheading an 80's Joshi project. I've called it quits on All-Request Friday Night (Random Match Generator is doing basically the same thing on a more regular schedule, so if you liked All-Request, you should check that out). I also have long-standing aspirations of getting into the podcasting game that everyone seems to be doing these days. But when you're at the dawn of your 30's, and the big things in your life aren't going the way you need them to, it's a little harder to justify focusing on smaller pleasures the way I used to be able to.

Was that too dark? That felt a little too dark. Here's Shameless.

I have season tickets for the Columbus Blue Jackets so my watching will fall off a cliff once hockey season kicks into gear.

Hockey is going to take a big chunk out of my time too. Luckily Leafs tickets are hard to get, so I can't go to every game, but watching TV is big commitment.

I used to watch a lot of wrestling on our bedroom TV before falling asleep. It was a nice way to wind down after the day and the wife was able to fall asleep with the TV on.

I don't know if it's old age or what, but for the last couple of years I can barely make it through a match before clunking out. This isn't the case just for wrestling....anything I watch on our bedroom TV before falling asleep knocks me out within 5-10 minutes.

This unfortunate development has seriously slowed down my wrestling watching, but I still manage to fit in at least an hour or two of week.