Pro Wrestling Only

Fixing the Diva's Division

Mad Dog

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct answer is Asuka.

Given Becky Lynch's struggles with promos I wonder if she would benefit from working a program with Bayley in NXT. She would be a nice name to have on the Takeover show in the UK. It would give her a chance to work on her promo skills with the coaches at the performance center and give her some TV time in a more friendly environment. Plus, she could potentially have a strong match that would give her some Sasha-like buzz.

I think the biggest problem with Becky is that she tries too hard to be funny. Trish tried pretty hard and all her "jokes" always fell flat. Some people have the comedy chops and others do not. If Becky wants to continue to be 'funny', the best for her would be her continued use of vines and promos from 'earlier today'. Becky, at this point, should not be allowed to talk in the ring as it erases any goodwill she had based off her ring work. The difference between Trish's bad stuff and Becky's is that Trish would interwine the lame with convincing promo points and substance. A main roster Becky promo pretty much follows: pun, weird, quarky, pun, etc. and it all falls flater than a John Morrison promo. She needs to find substance and work the jokes into it vs. the other way around. 10/90 instead of 90/10.

I think the biggest problem with Becky is that she tries too hard to be funny. Trish tried pretty hard and all her "jokes" always fell flat. Some people have the comedy chops and others do not. If Becky wants to continue to be 'funny', the best for her would be her continued use of vines and promos from 'earlier today'. Becky, at this point, should not be allowed to talk in the ring as it erases any goodwill she had based off her ring work. The difference between Trish's bad stuff and Becky's is that Trish would interwine the lame with convincing promo points and substance. A main roster Becky promo pretty much follows: pun, weird, quarky, pun, etc. and it all falls flater than a John Morrison promo. She needs to find substance and work the jokes into it vs. the other way around. 10/90 instead of 90/10.

I like the stuff she does online with the vines and other videos. It just comes across so terrible on TV for some reason

I actually agree with Loss that Becky Lynch is exactly who the management wants on their television screen. It reminds me of that time where people were ripping on AJ Lee for what she is doing and Triple H of all people came to her defense saying that AJ is much better than we think and that she is just doing exactly what they wanted her to do, nothing more.

The most ham-fisted thing about the "revolution" is that they've managed to make their most popular face in the division less over. Paige was getting some good reactions as the lone wrestler up against Fox and the Bellas, but that seems to have gone out of the window.

WWE has a knack for taking fan favorites lately and completely bungling it when getting behind them.

I think this is more likely to trickle down to NXT than vice versa.

Both Paige and Charlotte had strong, ready made, face characters which were thrown out as soon as they got to the main roster. It's so dumb that they dropped Paige's character yet kept Emma's, where if they did the opposite both would have had a better chance of succeeding. With Becky, it's not that she doesn't have the ability to be a good promo (she was a fun heel in Shimmer,) it's the fact that the only real character that she's had to work with is being Sasha's lackey in NXT. They've given her nothing to work with since they turned her and I'd rather she her work on something in NXT then on the main roster. In all honesty, if she didn't have that match with Sasha back in May would she even be on the main roster?

Turning Paige heel against a not-massively-over Charlotte is remarkably lunkheaded at the best of times (as shown by the pop when Paige attacked Becky and Charlotte 2 weeks ago). Doing it to correspond almost perfectly with the UK tour where Paige is guaranteed to get cheered over Charlotte feels like sabotage.

Another issue with Becky is that she falls within the WWE narrative of 'Then, Now, and Forever' in the terms of self-awareness. Her being on Raw was more of a 'I had a MOTYC in NXT' instead of a true readiness to move to the main roster. Becky was still finding her footing in NXT before getting her call up. Becky's gimmick (aside from the bad comedy and 'funny antics' ) is "I am a good worker and had a MOTYC" and that's why she has fallen flat on the main roster. Again, I think she is talented and I hope she finds something, but the self-awareness of WWE killed the revolution from the start. So sad.

Charlotte should never have come up as a babyface. She's the drizzling shits at it - at least right now. All of the stuff about her evolved DNA or superior genetics - or whatever her schtick was - is pure heel. With that said, Paige came across as totally obnoxious and unlikable on both Total Divas and Tough Enough, and she herself has said she prefers being a heel, so turning her into one wasn't the worst idea in the world.

But the thing is...........you need a lead babyface. WWF/E has ALWAYS worked that way and likely will, building around a lead babyface. The division's loss of interest connects with the fact that they have not had a top babyface female on the roster fans really cared about for nearly a decade now. Bayley could very well be it but she doesn't look like a supermodel so I thinks he has no chance with Vince.

Charlotte flops and then what?

Charlotte should never have come up as a babyface. She's the drizzling shits at it - at least right now. All of the stuff about her evolved DNA or superior genetics - or whatever her schtick was - is pure heel. With that said, Paige came across as totally obnoxious and unlikable on both Total Divas and Tough Enough, and she herself has said she prefers being a heel, so turning her into one wasn't the worst idea in the world.

Oh man, if the Charlotte heel turn is based on her one day being revealed as a proponent of eugenics, it's going to be awesome.

Tall, white, and blonde. That's its. That is what Vince likes. Sable, Sunny, and Trish were all huge faces for the company and all had the attributes Vince likes. They just didn't have the height. Charlotte's last name helps her more than she is willing to admit, but yes, you are correct. Bad promo, decent in the ring, and being a bad actress has made her a focal point of the Divas division? I think in a year of two she will go a good heel run and actually start becoming something interesting, but at this time she is McCool territory of not being over with the live crowds to the point WWE has to pipe in noise for her entrance, etc. Its not as bad with Charlotte as it was with McCool in that regard (as McCool was flat out not over at all), but its scarily close for a feature Diva who also happens to be a champion.

Was Sunny really a face? I guess during the LOD run she was, but the only time she was a face was 97 where she didn't really do anything at all related to any actual stories or wrestlers.

I could be wrong on this too, but I don't think Sunny ever wrestled a single match in the WWF. Anyone know if this is correct or not?

Michelle McCool is a great comparison actually but at least that was only on Smackdown.

Charlotte is a Triple H find. She is Ric Flair's daughter with the college level athletics on her resume which is something that Triple H appreciates a lot in any potential signee/worker. It was pretty obvious from day one that she was going to be groomed for a featured spot in the division. I am only surprised they think her future is as their babyface ace when logically all her attributes makes up a good heel instead. Then again I guess they also realize that Sasha Banks has to have her own prominent spot and that her character is better suited to be a heel as opposed to Charlotte's fairly blank canvas of a persona. It is just one of those things where all the major players in the division are meant to be heels so the one with the least obvious tendencies has to be the babyface and that's Charlotte. Sasha should be heel. Paige should be heel. Nikki Bella should be heel. Just how things go I guess.

I think they got caught up in Charlotte's look and thought she could be the star, even if she wasn't the workhorse. In theory, that could work, but she'd have to be programmed with the type of workers who could put her over in a way that makes her look invincible, and that hasn't happened.