Pro Wrestling Only

JvK reviews pimped matches from late 90s-10s

JerryvonKramer

I would not be surprised if you were to find there are 10 or even 20/30 matches you'd consider at that level if you continue watching and don't get bored with it. I probably mentioned that many moons ago when you were talking about the insane stiffness of a Flair/Garvin match or something like that and I said that 2000s abound with way stiffer matches.

The Shibata-Ishii 1/4 Wrestle Kingdom match from last year is the ultimate peak of that style so that'd be a good one to check out.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto (6/22/13)

Whatever "it" is, Shibata has it. This was a lot more spot heavy and near-fall orientated than the other matches, but still really damn rugged. Goto looks a tiny bit like post-pizza blow out Yatsu. Another really good match but lacking the throughline story that made WK11 match so compelling and the sheer brutality of the Ishii '13 match.

I have to go to bed, but more than happy to take further recs on Shibata.

Matt, I can see Misawa vs Hase is coming up in PWO2K, so will hit that soon. I am jumping on board that 2000 train as soon as I get this Shibata kick out of my system.

And you should watch that. And you should also watch that Shibata/KENTA vs Taue/someone else tag because you'll get a kick out of young Shibata being a little shit to Taue in it.

but I want to see you watch that Trevor Lee vs John Skyler match (get the details from Chad). I'm curious what you'll think of the CWF environment.

The ultimate irony in Parv discovering God is that Shibata works a shoot style gimmick.

Yeah, but aside from the facts he wears black and throws stiff kicks, his matches don't bear much resemblance to shoot style.

Indeed. It's really shooty-style turned into a pro-style gimmick, wirhout much of teh actual shoot-style stuff. He's not nearly as good as Takada was at this game. ;) (although I like Shibata, he's quite good)

It seems like Shibata is in A LOT of repeat match-ups. Fair read?

Seems like he has some issues backstage. We know he doesn't really get along that great with Tanahashi/Nakamura. NJPW seems reluctant to put any real money or trust behind him and they've skipped multiple obvious big matchups. Seems to me to be the reason why he fools around with Goto other lesser NJPW names when he's clearly one of the best in the promotion. Some people have said they are just "saving his big matches for later", but they waited so long that matches like Shibata/Nakamura or Shibata/Ibushi can't even happen now.