65 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better?

• Jushin Thunder Liger
    • Rey Mysterio Jr

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Wade as the de facto babyface here.

But even kidding aside, I think he's touching on some of the reasons I've never been high on Rey either. Unless a guy like that is going to have a career like Ricky Morton, I don't know what other uses there are. I bet people here are high on Spike Dudley too, but the guy is too small for what I look for in my wrestling.

Liger just on build alone is more believable in what he does.

I can't make the adjustments necessary to believe in Rey. 619 says it all really, It's like there is wrestling reality and then there's Rey match reality.

You won't see me being high on guys like Jeff Hardy either. For similar reasons.

Not liking Rey Mysterio is at least as ridiculous to not liking Ric Flair. I guess some people just don't see what others do, but I honestly think Rey is as undeniable as anyone ever. What the hell else would you want someone like Rey to do? He is probably the smallest guy in any promotion he's ever wrestled in, so he can't possibly wrestle a "strong style" The only way he could possibly win matches is to be the quicker, faster, more high flying wrestler. The believability comes with him being the best we've ever seen at that style. His entire style is based on him having to use his speed and agility to create momentum to add force to his moves. He can't just stand there and suplex or strike with guys much bigger than him. He has to run, jump, and spin to create enough power to actually harm his opponents.

The question of Rey vs. Liger is a terribly hard question. It is kind of like asking who was a better running back between Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders. You can have your preferences, but they are essentially the two guys you need to know about their particular era in Jr./Cruiserweight wrestling. These two are the two pillars of Jr. wrestling, no one else really comes close when it comes to making Jr. wrestling compelling. I think both of these two will be in my top ten, but I'm still trying to figure out which one I like better. Liger and Rey are basically the two wrestlers the golden age of Cruiserweight wrestling was built around. Liger's run of excellence was longer, but I'm not one who holds injuries against people. Rey has more good to great matches with a wider variety of people, but then again the Jr. division in NJPW was essentially Liger's baby for most of his career. These two are neck and neck, and it will probably take until the very last day to decide which one I like better.

Unless a guy like that is going to have a career like Ricky Morton, I don't know what other uses there are.

Isn't that basically what he did, only with a lot more excellent singles matches? I'd rate 2000s Rey as the great babyface of his generation. I mean, if you need your top-ranked guys to kick ass, so be it. But I'm not sure why you'd love Ricky Morton and have no use for Rey. He made the most of his tools.

Caring about body type in such an obviously fake sport is what kills wrestlers. I wish we could just stop doing it.

For me it's less body type and more working style. I'll give Rey his due, he got over, he drew, he made lots of money, and he did all that against the odds. I just don't like his style much. Does have matches of his I enjoy too, but I'm also super low on some of his greatest hits.

Rey will probably rank for me, but nowhere near top 30.

Not liking Rey Mysterio is at least as ridiculous to not liking Ric Flair.

Hey, what happened to the pluralism we all signed up for?

That statement is much more of a lighthearted dig at someone who has no idea how people can't like Flair than an actual indictment of your opinion. If you don't like him, you don't like him, but the same thing goes for not liking Flair as much as you do. I think Rey is one of the 10 best wrestlers ever, and don't really see any legit arguments against him, but I also think the same thing about Flair. I find everything anyone says that would make either of them anything but top 10 ridiculous, but people are entitled to their opinions.

In this thread I'm being made to believe Ole Anderson and Stan Hansen are above outsmarted, wobbly leg goofy stooge selling. Those guys have never done the kind of trickster comeuppance segments Rey matches get built around. Sure. Faux MMA Deadman Taker, Big Show, and Brock Lesnar were able to have good matches with Rey despite the obvious size disparities. "Would Bruiser Brody's tag partner sell for him" sounds like a horrible way to judge a worker. A luchador at that.

I think a ton of Mysterio's candidacy is based on the way he was able to have consistently good matches with big (almost always lesser) workers. His formula and the variance therein is/was great. Rey is undeniable.

Unless a guy like that is going to have a career like Ricky Morton, I don't know what other uses there are.

I was pondering answering that, but see that someone else beat me to it...

I'll give Rey his due, he got over, he drew, he made lots of money, and he did all that against the odds.

That would be the uses of him.

You could also include "drew despite the company actively not wanting him to be a draw" in that list. Which may be included in against the odds, but I think it is above and beyond that.

Isn't there evidence of him being their biggest draw for a good part of the Cena era? I don't remember where I heard and/or read it, but his segments were higer rated and his merchandise sold more, despite the WWE actively trying to bury him. Rey is one of the more interesting figures in wrestling, because of how he is basically the one person that couldn't be held down.

• 7 months later...