Pro Wrestling Only

Memphis: CWA WRESTLING

kevinmcfl

FrgY6wo.jpg?1

CWA WRESTLING: 1/28/1984: MSC STUDIOS (Memphis)

SHOWN ON FOX AFFILATES THROUGHOUT TENNESSEE, ARKANSAS, KENTUCKY, AND PARTS OF MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI AND INDIANA.

PYa486l.jpg?1

Lance Russell: "Hello again, everybody! Lance Russell and Dave Brown here again for CWA Wrestling in Memphis, TN. Before we get to our first segment, “This Week in the CWA.” with Dave, I would like to take you to a video replay of the closing moments of last week’s TV Show.

vkrA1v9.jpg?1

Jerry Lawler: Again Lance, I just want to talk to Austin. It was an emotional night for all of us and we will just have to wait and see.

Lance Russell: As for you Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson, you were lucky to escape with your AWA Mid-South Tag Titles as the Sheepherders appeared on the verge of victory last Monday when the match ended in a Time Limit Draw.

Robert Gibson: Appeared Lance, Appeared. You can never count us out. Things were not looking good but it is never over until it is over.

Ricky Morton: SHEEPHERDERS! I will give it to you. You are two tough dudes but we will never back down and we will never run away. Anytime any place brother!

Superstar Bill Dundee: That goes for you also Mr. Rowdy Roddy Piper. Anytime anyplace. I am sick and tired of what you are saying about this good people from Memphis.

Lance Russell: Well, Gentleman! I am afraid we are just about out of time.

The Sheepherders, Piper and NONE OTHER THAN AUSTIN IDOL attack from behind. All 8 men are really brawling out on the floor as the credits start to roll.

Lance Russell: Jerry, we have asked you to come out because a lot of “This Week in The CWA” has to do with you. Take it away Dave.

Dave Brown: Well thank you Lance and great to be with you and all the wrestling fans here in the CWA. What a crazy week it has been. We actually have video tape of all four major matches so sit back and enjoy the bonus tape.

MAJOR MATCHES THIS WEEK: THREE WINNERS

· NWA Title Match: Ric Flair vs Austin Idol

This match started out with a handshake as the two where in cahoots last Monday to help earn Austin the CWA Championship. The fans seem to be sick to their stomachs as they watch this match. They really hope there is no winner and that they beat the heck out of each other. Well they got their wish. They really went at it and traded a series of power moves and haymakers. Both wrestlers actually weakened the knees of their opponent and strapped in their finisher: The Figure Four Leglock. Neither man submitted but they were both injured badly. This is when Jerry Lawler hit the ring and went wild on both men. Throwing rights and lefts and alternating between Flair and Idol, Lawler was possessed. After about a minute or two of this Roddy Piper hit the ring an immediately caught Lawler with a low-blow and they laid the boots to him. Idol joined in on the attack and Flair just sat back with a grin on his face. Superstar Bill Dundee rushed the ring and now Idol, Piper =, Dundee and Lawler beat on each other just as last week. Ric Flair threw his hands in the air and walked out of the ring to the locker room laughing all the way. Eventually Dundee and Lawler gained control of the ring. In the dressing room, Lawler was still out of control and demanded a match with Piper last Wednesday Night against Roddy Piper at Louisville Gardens. The fans were overjoyed that their heroes left in control of the ring.

· AWA SOUTHERN TITLE MATCH: Jerry Lawler vs Roddy Piper (Louisville, KY)

To the demise of the fans, this bout did not go so great for their hero. Jerry Lawler, due to interference by JR Foley who distracted the ref long enough for Piper to hit Lawler with a foreign object lost his AWA Southern Championship to Roddy Piper.

· NWA Mid:American Title: Hacksaw Reed vs Toy Atlas: 60 Minute Draw (Lexington KY)

This match could not have been a better. The two muscled bound freaks hit each other with everything but the kitchen sink but neither could get a pinfall. The closest came when the ref was down and Reed had Atlas up for a Gorilla Press Slam. Ernie Ladd was also in the ring and in his attempt to slam Atlas to the ground, he accidently knocked Reed down with Atlas falling on top. If the ref had been in position, it would have been an easy 3 count. As it was, Reed just kicked out at 2 ¾. We have definitely not heard the last of this.

· AWA SOUTHERN TAG TITLE: Rock n Roll Express vs The Mothership Connection (Evansville, Indiana)

The Mothership Connection, Iceman Parsons and George Wells were recently named the #1 contenders to the AWA Southern Title by Stanly Blackburn and this match pitted two fan favorites against one another. The Rock n Roll Express held the advantage in terms of who the crowd supported but that was mainly due to the location of the match but anywhere the crowd goes, the love them some Iceman!

As for the match, it was high speed, high energy all the way. The title almost changed hands twice. Both times when Iceman connected on his famous Butt Butt Hip Attack. Once hit Robert Gibson and once he hit Ricky Morton. Both times the partner from outside the ring had to make the save or it would have been curtains. The end came after a tag by Gibson to Morton and the RnR Express connected with one of their famous Double Drop Kicks on George Wells. The match almost went the 30 minute time limit but ended at 28:28.

TAG TEAM OF THE WEEK: The Ft. Bragg Brotherhood

Revenging last week’s loss to Mr. Saito and Killer Khan, was a huge step forward for Pvt. Kernodle and Cpl. Kirchner. When Kirchner hit Killer Khan with a football tackle and gained the pin, it moved the Brotherhood into a potential number 1 contender’s match for the NWA Mid-American Titles.

WRESTLER OF THE WEEK: Roddy Piper

New CWA Champion. Enough said!

Dave Brown: ok, Lance, let’s get back to you and Jerry Lawler.

Lance Russell: Well, I really do want to hear what is on your mind Jerry. I mean it has been a rough couple of weeks.

Jerry Lawler: Lance, I can tell you I am just sick. I have this empty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I mean fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. What was I thinking trusting that scum Austin Idol and then for JR Foley to interfere in my match with Piper causing me to lose my title. It is a dark day for the King but let me tell you one thing. It won’t last. Idol, Piper and that dirty dog Ric Flair have no place to hide. The revenge starts tonight! It is myself and Bill Dundee against Idol and Piper. We are going to take a big piece out of their hide! Memphis, this is my city and I will not let that imposter play Big Man in my town!

MATCH #1: The Nightmares vs Shane Douglas and Scott Bigelow

Neither, Bigelow or Douglas have one a match yet and this is their first time as a tag team. Granted, they are getting better but this is a tough match up for them. After a few momentum changes, the end came when the Nightmares double teamed Bigelow with a drop kick followed up by a frog splash by Nightmare #2. Even though they had a huge size advantage, Bigelow and Douglas seemed to have a difficult time in the tag match.

Lance Russell: Wow, I think those two young guns are going to get it. Fans in Arkansas, the CWA will be in your area once again. Get your tickets now.

>> Promo run down of the upcoming schedule for the CWA!

January 30: Memphis, Tennessee at the Mid-South Coliseum

February 1: Little Rock, Arkansas at the Barton Coliseum

February 2: Jonesboro, Arkansas at the ASU Arena

February 3: Fayetteville, Arkansas at Barnhill Arena

Lance Russell: Well, Sir Oliver Humperdinck! It seems that your House of Humperdinck is on fire. Nobody has been able to last 5 minutes in the ring with any of your men. That’s good for you as that means you keep the $5000 you put up for anyone that could stay in the ring with any of your wrestlers.

Sir Oliver Humperdinck: Well, Pencil Nose, to be honest I am a little bit sick and tired of many of the big mouth wrestlers here in the CWA. They all talk a good game. They run their mouth about how big and bad they are. Then I put up $5000 of my own money if any of them can last 5 minutes in the ring with any of my men. Who comes out for the challenge? Not Jerry Lawler! Not Troy Graham! Not Superstar Bill Dundee! No the bottom rungs guys answer my challenge. I bet it is that fat slob Doughboy Frazier pushing them out here. The gutless pig! I tell you Frazier! I saw you backstage eating a whole large pizza a minute ago. How about you get up from the dinner table and answer the bell. I tell you what. I will give you $10,000 if you can last 5 minutes with Lord Humongous right now.

Lord Humongous, hockey mask at all enters the ring as Plowboy Frazier comes to the interview table.>

Plowboy Frazier: I am getting really sick and tired of you Humperdink.

>

Sir Oliver Humperdink: I told you stupid people of Memphis. Nobody, and I mean nobody leaves the House of Humperdink on their own. Frazier thought he could leave whenever he wanted to. No look at him just look at that fat slob. Remember, once I buy a wrestle, I OWN THEM FOREVER!

Lance Russell: Well Mr. Jarrett some actions are just more disgusting then others. That was one of the worst I have seen.

Jerry Jarrett: I have to agree with you Lance. I am also finning, Sir Oliver Humperdink $1000 for his actions here tonight. That was a setup and not the match that we had sanctioned. Humperdink can not interfere in the operations of the CWA whenever he choices. Do you know what is also very interesting. St. Valentine’s Eve Massacre. That’s right. While every Monday is huge at the Mid-South Coliseum, in two weeks were are going to have a historical set of matches for you. Already signed, Jerry Lawler will get his chance to capture the CWA Title from Austin Idol. Superstar Dundee will take on Roddy Piper for the AWA Southern Title, The Rock n Roll Express will once again ace off with the Sheepherders. Butch Reed will put his NWA Mid-American Title on the line against Tony Atlas. The Kansas Jayhawks and Ric Flair will also have title defenses. That’s right folks, 6 great Title Matches on one card and that is not all. There will be 3 special matches to attempt to settle some of our major feuds right now in the CWA. First of all, Ernie Ladd will get his rematch against the Dream Machine. If Ernie Ladd wins the match, The Dream Machine will be forced to take off his mask. If The Dream machine wins, Ernie Ladd will have to fork over the $10,000 to the Dream Machine. Second, The Ft. Bragg Brotherhood, Pvt. Kernodle and Cpl, Kirchner will face off against Tojo Yamamoto’s Shogunate, Killer Khan and Mr. Saito in an anything goes BOOTCAMP MATCH. The last match will be determined by Plowboy Frazier. Again, the actions by Humperdink and his men tonight disgust me. I am going to talk to Plowboy Frazier and if his health is ok to wrestle, I will allow him to make the stipulations for a match against any member of the House of Humperdink.

Lance Russell: Wow folks, St. Valentine’s Eve Massacre. That is going to be some card. Let’s get back to the ring for our next match.

Match #2: Tony Atlas vs Ted Allen

A completely one sided match. While Allen is quick and has nice technical skills, the power of Atlas was just too much. Atlas wins by submission after a Bearhug at 3:54.

Lance Russell: Well Tony, Congratulations on your victory tonight. You must be very excited about what Jerry Jarrett had to say.

Tony Atlas: Ohhhhhhh Brother you better believe it. Last time Reed, you barely escaped. This time the title will be all mines. People of Memphis, let’s do this together! Reed, your days are numbered now boy! Count down begins TONIGHT!

Lance Russell: Well he seems excited and who could blame him. Let’s take a break.

>> Replay of Promo running down of the upcoming schedule for the CWA!

Lance Russell: Well Mr. Ladd. It seems that you got what you wanted. It is you and The Dream Machine at St. Valentine’s Eve Massacre. If you win, he must take off his mask. If you lose, he gets $10,000 of YOUR money.

Ernie Ladd: That’s right! For once Jarrett did what was right. In two weeks that mask is coming off that dummy! I will prove to each and every one of you it is Troy Graham. I mean anyone can see. Just look at that beard through that mask. Just look at the quirky dances he does in the ring. The way he walks. The way he talks. Once I prove it is Troy Graham, he will feel the force of my entire Army. It is not just those few here in Memphis. My Army reaches nationwide and he will have no place to hide.

Lance Russell: Well we will just have to wait. That will be some match. Let’s get to the ring for our next match

Match #4: Killer Khan& Mr. Saito with Tojo Yamamoto vs Tommy Gilbert and Ken Raper

A complete squash match. The fans were somewhat excited to see Tommy Gilbert back in the CWA. He did have a nice run a few months ago with his partner Brian Adias but today, he and his partner just got crushed from the opening bell. The end came after Mr. Saito connected on a Saito Suplex at just 4:04 into the match.

Lance Russell: Well Tojo, your men were very impressive here tonight. Will they be ready for their Bootcamp Match on Feb 13 at the Mid-South Coliseum against The Ft. Bragg Brotherhood? I mean that is a wild match. No Rules, Falls Count Anywhere.

Tojo Yamamoto: Mis-tah Russell. That question not veeery smart. My men always ready. I almost feel sooorry for Private Kernodtle and Cpl. Kirssner. Almost but nooo reeaally. Just like Pearl Harbor, my men will attack and you slow Americans will have no answers. Mr. Saito with bend you two American Army people into pretzels. Killer Khan will crush you with his bare hands. When it is over there will be nothing left on you.

Lance Russell: Wow, those are some scary guys. I do think they mean business. I hope the Ft. Bragg Brotherhood is ready for them. As we go to break, take a look at the newest CWA Ratings.

SINGLES

1. Austin Idol CWA Champion

2. Roddy Piper: AWA Southern Champ

3. Hacksaw Reed: NWA Mid-American Champ

4. Jerry Lawler

5. Tony Atlas

6. Superstar Dundee

7. Lord Humongous

8. Mr. Saito

9. Hercules Hernandez

10. Buzz Sawyer

Tag Teams

1. Rock N Roll Express: AWA Southern Tag Team Champs

2. The Sheepherders

3. The Kansas Jayhawks: The NWA Mid-American Tag Team Champs

4. Sweet Dreams: (Sweet Brown Sugar and The Dream Machine

5. The Shogunate: (Killer Khan & Mr. Saito)

COMMERCIAL PLAYS FOR JERRY LAWLER’S NEW RESTAURANT

Lance Russell: Thanks for giving us a few moments of your time but I am not sure you will like everything I have to say. First of all, Mr. Foley how do you feel about your interference in the AWA Southern Match last week In Louisville, Kentucky that costs Jerry Lawler his title?

JR Foley: How dare you accuse me of such actions? You better watch your mouth or I will have my lawyers sue you in a heartbeat. What you claim, is so far from the truth. Why would a superior wrestler like Roddy Piper need my help to defeat Queen Lawler? If you wish to talk about cheating, when are you going to bring up the interference by that little man, Superstar Dundee? I mean, if there was any justice in this organization, he should be suspended. And again. I hear nothing of the blatant rule breaking by the Rock n Roll Express against my Sheepherders last week. It was their cheating that cost the bets tag team in the world, The Sheepherders, the AWA Southern Tag Titles. But again, I hear no complaints about those things from an imbecile like you Lance Russell.

Roddy Piper: Well, Lance, I am going to tell you one of my hobbies. I enjoy going to wrestling events when I am not in action and watching the Midgets wrestle. I mean it is really fun to watch them crawl under the bottom rope. Go through each other’s legs and make “Giant Splashes” from the first turnbuckle. I mean I think “Little Tokyo vs Lord Little Brook is a great way to spend of Saturday night.

Lance Russell: Do you have point to this story.

Roddy Piper: Not a point but a question for you. What do you think would happen if one of those Midgets stepped into the ring with either myself or the Sheepherders?

Lance Russell: Well I do not think that is a fair fight.

Roddy Piper: Oh, now we are talking brother! It is not a fair fight. Does Mr. Jarrett believe it will be a fair fight at St. Valentine’s Eve Massacre when he puts that Midget Superstar Dundee in the ring vs me. I mean, don’t blame me if I kill him. He should stick to Midget Bowling like the rest of the hardheaded little people but it is his funeral.

Lance Russell: Ok now, Mr. Piper. That’s about enough of that. I believe you three have a match and not just any math, the main event vs Jerry Lawler and The Rock n Roll Express. Folks, this match will be a time remaining match.

Match #5: The Rock n Roll Express & Jerry Lawler vs The Sheepherders and Roddy Piper

Just as you would expect, it is a brawl from beginning to end. The fan favorites hold the early advantage as there are fired up. Lawler mounted Piper and the crowd counted 10 huge right hands to the jaw. Piper stumbled to the ground as Lawler climbed the ropes and connected with a top rope fist drop. As he went for the pin, both Sheepherders rushed in to break it up. The Rock N Roll Express entered and now we had a Pier 6 Brawl going on with all men in the squared circle. JR Foley was seen by the TV Cameras putting on a pair of brass knuckles as Piper had gained control of Lawler. Ref Jerry Calhoun called for the bell as it was obvious he had lost control. Just as Foley was about to hit Lawler with the brass knuckles, Superstar Bill Dundee hit the ring and grabbed Foley by his legs and pulled him off the apron. Foley hit his chin and the mat on the way down and the knuckles were on the ground. Dundee went to grab them.

Lance Russell: Folks were are just about out of time. We have about 30 seconds left. Remember to get your tickets for the big show Feb 13th at The Mid-South Coliseum.

Dundee had the brass knuckles on as was about to pop Foley when out of nowhere came Austin Idol with a running knee to Dundee’s head.

The 8 biggest superstars in the Continental Wrestling Association were now in a full out brawl in and out of the ring.

Voice Over: "The announcers on this program are selected and paid by parties other than this station, namely, the promoters of Championship Wrestling."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean this to be negative but as feedback, but you've got a LOT going on with your shows. I get lost trying to keep up with everything and the font changes and the stuff. I don't know if it is a formatting thing or what, but the presentation is throwing me for a loop.

All that said, huge roster, big angles, and some serious shit going on. The ending segment shows just how crazy things can get in Memphis and it is true to form. Your top 10 is a wishlist for anyone, but wouldn't Idol be out of the top 10 and the others be ranked in order by which they could challenge him? I

Lowblow,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you in terms of the format. I am having trouble transferring it from word to the post. It seems to change sizes and spacing on me. It is my lack of computer skills that cause much of the issues and for that I am sorry. I will try to simplify it but any suggestions would be helpful. I have also tried to make it much shorter. I have cut down by about 1/3 on the length but still must make it easier to read.

I agree with you in terms of the rankings. I had looked at an internet site listing the 1984 ratings from PWI and they listed it the way I have it now but do like your idea better.

Lowblow,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you in terms of the format. I am having trouble transferring it from word to the post. It seems to change sizes and spacing on me. It is my lack of computer skills that cause much of the issues and for that I am sorry. I will try to simplify it but any suggestions would be helpful. I have also tried to make it much shorter. I have cut down by about 1/3 on the length but still must make it easier to read.

I agree with you in terms of the rankings. I had looked at an internet site listing the 1984 ratings from PWI and they listed it the way I have it now but do like your idea better.

Kevin, I transfer mine from word also. I find the best way is to transfer then format before posting, transfer the core of your work and then format. It probably your Word and posting function here aren't compatible. Hope this helps.

photo-thumb-39989.jpg?_r=1443898361

CWA WRESTLING: MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

FROM THE MID-SOUTH COLISEUM:

MONDAY, JANUARY 30, 1984

MATCH #1: The Clawmasters (Baron Von Raschke & The Spoiler) defeat Tommy Gilbert and Ken Raper when the Spoiler puts the claw on Raper and forces him to submit and 4:45. This is the first match in the CWA for the Clawmasters.

MATCH #2: The Nightmares and Bam Bam Bigelow and Shane Douglas wrestle to a 15:00 time limit draw. Again, the rookies continue to show improvement. Both are powerful and agile but have much to learn.

MATCH #3: Mr. Saito defeats Wendell Cooley after a Saito Suplex and just 4:11.

MATCH #4: Lord Humongous defeats Plowboy Frazier in 7:11 after two AX Smashes took the big guy down to the canvass. Humongous continued his assault on Frazier long after the bout ended. It seems the House of Humperdink is getting revenge on their former stable member.

Match #5: Abdullah The Butcher, Buzz Sawyer and Hercules Hernandez defeat The Fort Bragg Brotherhood (PVT. Kernodle and CPL Kirchner) and their teammate Brett Wayne after Sawyer hit a frog splash on Brett Wayne at 13:23.. It did seem that the rest of Sawyer’s partners wanted to continue the attack on Brett Wayne but Buzz started barking at them and they all left the ring.

MATCH #6: Tony Atlas, The Dream Machine and Sweet Brown Sugar wrestled to a double DQ against Ernie Ladd, Porkchop Cash and Hacksaw Reed as ref Paul Morton lost control and called for the bell at 23:21.

MATCH #7: Roddy Piper and the Sheepherders defeated The Rock n Roll Express and Steve Simpson after Piper caught Simpson with a low blow.

MATCH #8: JERRY THE KING LAWLER AND SUPERSTAR BILL DUNDEE DEFEATED CWA CHAMPION AUSTIN IDOL & NWA CHAMPION RIC FLAIR WHEN LAWLER CAUGHT IDOL WITH A TOP ROPE FIST DIVE. FLAIR NEVER SEEMED TO EVEN MAKE AN ATTEMPT TO SAVE IDOL. THE MATCH LASTED 28:56.

CWA WRESTLING: LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS

FROM THE BARTON COLISEUM:

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 1984

6SbY5OS.jpg?1

MATCH #1: Shane Douglas and Bam Bam Bigelow defeat Tommy Gilbert and Wendell Cooley after powerbomb by Bigelow on Tommy Gilbert at 7:56. Bam Bam and Douglas are on a roll of late going 3-0-1 in their last 4 tag bouts. Might be time to see what happens when they step up in competition. The match lasted 10:02

MATCH #2: Killer Khan and Tojo Yamamoto defeat Ken Raper and David Johnson after Khan put the Cobra Clutch on Raper at 5:21. This match was very one sided and brutal. It was also the first match for Yamamoto in quit some time as he is focusing on his managerial skills as of late. Maybe the match was so brutal because Khan and Yamamoto wanted to send a message to Pvt. Kernodle and Corporal Kirchner who were in the building that night.

MATCH #3: Mr. Saito defeats Steve Simpson after a Saito Suplex and just 5:02.

MATCH #4: Mr. USA Tony Atlas defeated Ernie Ladd by DQ as Ladd, frustrated with his lack of momentum in this match, hit Atlas in the back with a chair. What might have bothered Ladd even more was that his man, Hacksaw Reed, had more success against Atlas in their last bout then he did tonight. He also might be angered that Reed was not there to come to his aid when Atlas rebounded after being hit with a chair and pummeled Ladd to the delight of the fans.

Match #5: NWA MID- AMERICAN TAG TITLE BOUT

The Kansas Jayhawks, Dutch Mantel and Bobby Jaggers wrestled The Ft. Bragg Brotherhood, PVT. Kernodle and CPL. Kirchner to a 20 minute draw. Both teams had their chances. Jaggers connected on a reverse neck-breaker on Kernodle but Kirchner made the save. Kirchner also connected with an AIRBORNE SLAM on Dirty Dutch but it was too close to the ropes. After the bell sounded, the Kansas Jayhawks went after their opponents with their bull ropes but the Brotherhood made a quick escape to the locker room.

MATCH #6: AWA SOUTHERN CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT

Roddy Piper defeated Troy Graham after JR Foley distracted the ref which allowed Piper to hit Graham with a low blow and then he followed it up with a massive high knee to the temple. The pin came 22:31 into the bout.

CWA WRESTLING: JONESBORO, ARKANSAS

FROM THE ARKANSAS STATE ARENA

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 1984

r9yvXMAs.jpg?1

MATCH #1: Shane Douglas and Bam Bam Bigelow defeat Tommy Gilbert and David Johnson after a belly to belly suplex by Shane Douglas on Tommy Gilbert at 6:56.

MATCH #2: The Nightmares defeat Robert Reed and David Johnson after Nightmare #2 hits a diving leg drop off the top rope on Robert Reed at 7:42.

MATCH #3: Steve Simpson defeats Ken Raper by submission after a Johannesburg Sleeper. This is Simpson’s first win in the CWA at it comes at 10:02

MATCH #4: Lord Humongous defeats Plowboy Frazier with an AX smash at 14:34. Lord Humongous had a difficult time taking the big man off his feet but when Humperdink distracted the ref, Humongous hit Frazier with a foreign object that knocked him for a loop. Humongous then came off the ropes and connected with the AX Smash.

Match #5: NWA MID AMERICAN TITLE BOUT

“Hacksaw” Butch Reed defeated Sweet Brown Sugar at 13:21 after a Gorilla Press Slam. While Sweet Brown Sugar tried to use his athleticism in this match, Reed’s power was just too much for Sugar. Ernie Ladd was conspicuous in his absence here in Jonesboro tonight.

MATCH #6: AWA SOUTHERN TAG CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT

The Rock n Roll Express and Hercules Hernandez wrestle to a 30 minute draw. What a match this was. The power of Sawyer and Hercules vs the speed of the RnR Express. The Rock n Roll Express had to use all their tag team experience and great double teaming moves to keep their belts here tonight. Sawyer and Hercules are definitely a team on the rise and if Ricky Morton had not rolled out of the way of Sawyer’s Frog Splash at the last second, there would be new champions.

CWA WRESTLING: FAYETTEVILLE, ARKANSAS

FROM BARNHILL ARENA

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 1984

vHzHFFg.jpg?1

MATCH #1: Steve Simpson defeats Tommy Gilbert by pin after a powerslam at 11:56.

MATCH #2: The Clawmasters, Baron Von Raschke and The Spoiler defeat Shane Douglas and Bam Bam Bigelow when The Spoiler locked in the Brain Claw on Shane Douglas at 7:42. This is the second win for the CLawmasters since joining the CWA. It is also the first loss in the last 4 matches for Bigelow and Douglas.

MATCH #3: The Sheepherders destroyed The Nightmares in 10:21 when Williams grabbed Miller’s head and used it as a battering ram on Nightmare #1. The Sheepherders were especially brutal tonight! They seem to be gearing up for their title bout against The Rock n Roll Express on Feb 13th.

MATCH #4: Brett Wayne defeats Ken Raper after a top rope leg drop at 7:02. Brett Wayne seems to be stuck right in the middle of the CWA rankings. He defeats the bottom rung guys but loses to the top.

Match #5: NWA MID AMERICAN TAG TITLE BOUT

The Kansas Jayhawks (Dutch Mantel and Bobby Jaggers) defeat SWEET DREAMS (The Dream Machine and Sweet Brown Sugar) when Dirty Dutch, from outside the ring, kicks Sweet Brown Sugar in the back on an Irish Whip. This causes Sugar to fall right into the clutches of Bobby Jaggers who hits a swinging neckbreaker for the victory.

MATCH #6: AWA SOUTHERN CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT

Jerry Lawler defeats Roddy Piper after Piper was counted out of the ring. Lawler, with a rather daring move, hit his top rope fist drop on Piper who was on the floor at the time. As Lawler’s hand was raised in victory, The Sheepherders attacked him. Lucky for Lawler that Superstar Bill Dundee and Sweet Dreams came to his rescue.

I have to agree the format of the shows here are so much better to follow. We've spoke a lot about your roster but it's stacked, seems to be up there with Mid South, Florida and Crockett. Through some deals we've done I'm looking forward to Memphis exploding into the premium territory.

photo-thumb-39989.jpg?_r=1443898361CWA WRESTLING: 2/4/1984: MSC STUDIOS (Memphis)

SHOWN ON FOX AFFILATES THROUGHOUT TENNESSEE, ARKANSAS, KENTUCKY, AND PARTS OF MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI AND INDIANA.

PYa486l.jpg?1

SEGMENT #1: THIS WEEK IN THE CWA BY DAVE BROWN

· MATCH OF THE WEEK:

JERRY THE KING LAWLER AND SUPERSTAR BILL DUNDEE DEFEATED CWA CHAMPION AUSTIN IDOL & NWA CHAMPION RIC FLAIR WHEN LAWLER CAUGHT IDOL WITH A TOP ROPE FIST DIVE. FLAIR NEVER SEEMED TO EVEN MAKE AN ATTEMPT TO SAVE IDOL. THE MATCH LASTED 28:56.

· TAG TEAM OF THE WEEK: Buzz Sawyer and Hercules Hernandez

The members of the House of Humperdink wrestled The Rock n Roll Express to a 30 minute time limit draw on Feb 2nd in Jonesboro, Arkansas. They actually had many near falls and the champs were lucky to escape with their belts.

· CO-WRESTLERS OF THE WEEK: BAM BAM BIGELOW AND SHANE DOUGLAS

Wrestling as a tag team, these two wrestlers actually got their first win in the same week. Their first win came in Little Rock, Arkansas against Tommy Gilbert and Wendell Cooley.

· OTHER NOTES:

Jerry Jarrett seems to have found a way to get even with NWA Champion, Ric Flair. Jarrett is upset at the lack of respect that Flair showed the CWA Heavyweight Title last month and how he attacked Jerry Lawler during the CWA Championship bout between Lawler and Austin Idol. The NWA Champion is required to defend his title for all NWA Promotions. Flair’s next title defense in the Continental Wrestling Association is scheduled for February 13th at the Mid-South Coliseum. This morning Jarrett named Flair’s opponent. It will be none other than the 8th Wonder of The World, Andre the Giant.

The NWA Mid-American Title bout on Feb 13th has changed. It was to be the Kansas Jayhawks vs Sweet Brown Sugar and Troy Graham. In a surprise meeting this week, Mark Youngblood met with Jerry Jarrett. He understands that due to the injuries sustained by Jules Strongbow and himself, they never received their rematch which by CWA rules, they are due. Jules Strongbow is still severely injured from the last match with the Jayhawks and can’t wrestle in the rematch. Youngblood said he is willing and ready and has a new partner. His bother Jay! Intrigued by this match, Jarrett agreed and granted the rematch. It will now be the Kansas Jayhawks vs The Youngbloods!

Calling themselves The Claw Masters, Baron Von Raschke and The Spoiler made a successful CWA debut as a tag team on Monday, Jan 30th at the Mid-South Coliseum. They defeated Tommy Gilbert and Ken Raper.

· CURRENT CWA RANKINGS

SINGLES

1. Austin Idol CWA Champion

2. Roddy Piper: AWA Southern Champ

3. Hacksaw Reed: NWA Mid-American Champ

4. Jerry Lawler

5. Tony Atlas

6. Superstar Dundee

7. Lord Humongous

8. Mr. Saito

9. Hercules Hernandez

10. Buzz Sawyer

Tag Teams

1. Rock N Roll Express: AWA Southern Tag Team Champs

2. The Sheepherders

3. The Kansas Jayhawks: The NWA Mid-American Tag Team Champs

4. Sweet Dreams: (Sweet Brown Sugar and The Dream Machine

5. The Shogunate: (Killer Khan & Mr. Saito)

COMMERCIAL BREAK WITH PROMO FOR UPCOMING SHOWS IN TENNESSEE AND MISSISSIPPI

SEGMENT #2:

MATCH: Ernie Ladd vs Robert Reed

Ladd easily wins this squash match with a Big Boot at 3:02.

After the match Ernie Ladd goes to the interview table where Lance Russell asks Ladd about his upcoming match with the Dream Machine where if he wins, Ladd gets to take the mask off The Dream Machine and if he loses, he must pay the Dream Machine $10,000. Russell also asked about the current status of his relationship with Hacksaw Butch Reed.

Ernie Ladd responded by telling Russell to shut up and that there is no chance he will loose and that he will prove to all the Memphis Bigots that the Dream Machine is just a jealous Troy Graham. He refused to discuss Reed and walks off set holding his hand raised in a symbol of Black Power.

SEGMENT #3:

MATCH: PLOWBOY FRAZIER VS NIGHTMARE #1

Frazier wins after a Giant Splash at 4:11. Nightmare #1 had some good moves but nothing was able to knock the 400+ Frazier off his feet. After the match, Lance Russell asks Frazier if he has thought about who he wants to face from the House of Humperdink on Feb 13th at the Mid-South Coliseum. After last week’s attack by Sir Oliver Humperdink’s men, CWA President, Jerry Jarrett gave Plowboy the choice of who he wanted to face and in what type of match. Frazier responds that he wants a no DQ match against none other than Sir Oliver Humperdink.

This immediately brought out Humperdink who was yelling and screaming about how dumb Frazier was and that he had to pick a wrestling member of the House of Humperdink and not Humperdink himself. Frazier gives it right back at Humperdink and says he has nothing against Buzz Sawyer, Hercules Hernandez or Lord Humongous. He knows they are just misguided by Humperdink. Humperdink yells and screams that he will not enter the ring and that he is just a manager and if Jarrett forces him into the ring, Humperdink will sue the CWA for everything under the sun. Surprise, but both men actually leave the table and nothing comes of the argument. Lance Russell tells us we will just have to wait for a response from Jerry Jarrett.

SEGMENT #4:

Match: NWA MID-AMERICAN TITLE BOUT: Hacksaw Butch Reed vs Sweet Brown Sugar

A good match that saw Sweet Brown Sugar control some of the actions with his athleticism. He had a near fall after a tremendous dropkick. Reed took control after an illegal break in the corner and the match came to an end after a Gorilla Press Slam at 6:45. Reed, angered by the near defeat continued the beating on Sweet Brown Sugar. After about another minute or so, Tony Atlas rushed to his aid and started throwing haymakers. Reed beat a hasty retreat to the locker room. Tony Atlas and Sweet Brown Sugar made their way to the interview desk where Atlas said he was ready for his Feb 13th NWA Mid-American Title Match against Reed. Sweet Brown Sugar thanked Atlas for his help and said he always ha Atlas’s back if he ever needed it.

SEGMENT #5:

Match: Bam Bam Bigelow and Shane Douglas vs Ted Allen and Wendell Cooley

It was an awkward match for TV with 3 of the 4 members being rookies. The crowd was behind Bigelow and Douglas. This might be because Bigelow recently shaved his head and showed off some rather cool tattoos on his skull. It might also be because both youngsters bring a lot of energy to the ring. The end came when Douglas hit a Belly to Belly Suplex on Ted Allen at the 8:00 mark.

After the match, the two youngsters joined Lance Russell for their first interview. He congratulated them and asked how they could account for their recent success. They thanked Russell and the fans for their support but gave all the credit to Jerry Lawler who they said has recently taken them under his wing and that together they have been working on their technical skills. The crowd really liked this.

Segment #6

Match: The Humperdink Challenge: Hercules Hernandez vs Brett Wayne

If Wayne could last 5 minutes, he would earn $5000 but the end came rather quickly for Wayne. He did have some early momentum but Hernandez hooked his arms around the ropes which cause Wayne to miss a drop kick. From here on, it was power move after power move with the end coming by submission with a Backbreaker Rack at 4:21. Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer rushed into the ring and congratulated his partner on the victory but it seemed more like his Dog-like antics were to keep Hernandez from going after Wayne again. Lance Russell wondered why the moment of compassion by Sawyer.

Humperdink was then interviewed by Russell where he again insulted “Pencil Noe” Russell but also said again that there was no way that he would get in the ring with Plowboy Frazier. Jerry Jarret soon appeared and set him straight. Jarrett claimed that if Humperdink can orchestrate an attack by his men on Frazier last week on TV, that Frazier can demand the match against Humperdink at the Mid-South Coliseum. Humperdink yelled and screamed and his men made all kinds of gestures towards Jarrett but it never seemed to bother the CWA president. Lance Russell, trying to rub a little salt in the wounds of Humperdink, reminded him it was a NO DQ match and that Frazier could do anything he wanted.

SEGMENT #7

Jerry Lawler and Superstar Dundee are interviewed by Lance Russell. Both Dundee and Lawler are feed up with the actions of Austin Idol and Roddy Piper. They claim that they have no right to be champions and that Piper is making a habit out of saving his title by either hitting people with a low blow or getting disqualified to retain his title. Lawler also declares war on Idol. He says it doesn’t matter where or when, he is going to get revenge on Idol for stealing that CWA Heavyweight title and for his actions of late. He says it is all because Idol is jealous of The King.

Lance Russell says that he has a video tape message from Idol and that he was going to show it.

The message from Idol showed Idol wearing a Crown on his head saying that only the best should claim to be King. He also said that heard rumors that Lawler said he was jealous of him. Idol said that he had nothing to be jealous of. It Lawler wants the support of the tobacco spitting, pick-up driving hayseeds that live in Tennessee that’s just fine with him. He also said that he was going to beat Lawler to within an inch of his life at St. Valentine’s Eve Massacre.

Lawler responds by saying that it is funny that Idol is pre-recording his messages of late and is rarely in studio. He must be afraid of something.

Idol and Piper along with the Sheepherders strut out to the table and start yapping about how they are not hiding from anyone and that if Lawler and Dundee want a piece of them, they are right here in front of them and that if they want to put their big mouths in action, they should all hit the ring.

Dundee and Lawler respond by saying they will fight Piper and Idol 1-1 or 2-2 but they know the Sheepherders will get involved with a minute of the start of the math because nothing they do is fair.

The Ft. Bragg Brotherhood, Kernodle and Kirchner come and say they got Lawler and Dundee’s back and let’s make it an 8 man tag match.

Jerry Jarrett comes out and says that it is a great idea and coming up next will be a Main Event for the ages. Jerry Lawler, Superstar Dundee and the Ft. Bragg Brotherhood vs Austin Idol, Roddy Piper, and The Sheepherders. The fan favorites are all excited and pumped up and head to the ring while the heels claim Jarrett has no right to do this.

SEGMENT 8:

MAIN EVENT MATCH: Jerry Lawler, Superstar Dundee and the Ft. Bragg Brotherhood vs Austin Idol, Roddy Piper, and The Sheepherders

The match has the crowd on the edge of their seats. As you would expect, the fan favorites take the early advantage and have all the momentum. That is until, Piper turns to some real dirty tactics. His two handed eye rake on Dundee gives his team the advantage and they start to beat Dundee pretty good. Every time Lawler or one of the other team members tried to come to his aid, ref Jerry Calhoun forced them out. It was here that the villains would really beat Dundee. Dundee was finally able to escape and tag in Lawler. Lawler was on fire and he cleared the ring in less than a minute. The action tumbles out onto the floor where chaos ensues.

Lance Russell says there is less than two minutes left in the show. Lawler continues his assault inside the ring on Austin Idol while Piper brawls with Dundee on the floor. The Brotherhood and the Sheepherders are beating each other all over the studio. Lawler connects with a huge haymaker on Idol and then quickly climbs the top rope for his fist drop. From out of nowhere comes the Shogunate and Tojo Yamamota shoves Lawler off the top rope and he lands hard. Calhoun quickly calls for the bell but Mr. Saito, Killer Khan and Tojo have turned the tide to the evil side. The Memphis heroes are being beating from pillar to post that is until the Rock n Roll Express and The Dream Machine hit the ring.

Total Chaos ensues. Rivals are beating rivals. Friends are aiding friends. Lance Russell is heard saying, “All roads lead to the Mid-South Coliseum and St. Valentines Eve Massacre on February 13th.

The Credits roll while the chaos continues. The screen fades to black.

FF08ggO.jpg

FROM THE MID-SOUTH COLISEUM:

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 1984

MATCH #1: Lord Humongous with Sir Oliver Humperdink defeats Wendell Cooley and Ted Allen in a handicap match at 5:41 after he totally dominated the men and nailed them both with an AX SMASH. After the pin, Humongous continued the attack until Plowboy Frazier rushed to the ring to aid Cooley and Allen. It did not make any difference to Humongous who now just beat the big 400+ pounder and hit him with an AX SMASH also. This feud between Frazier and The House of Humperdink may be too much for Frazier. The fans hope he is not too hurt as he is to wrestle later in the evening.

MATCH #2: Hercules Hernandez and Buzz Sawyer with Sir Oliver Humperdink defeat Bam Bam Bigelow and Shane Douglas. The rookies just did not have enough experience for a match against these two animals. The match ended when Hernandez caught Shane Douglas in the Backbreaker Rack at 4:02. The fans seemed to be surprised at how one sided this match was. They are forgetting how new Bigelow and Douglas are to this sport.

MATCH #3: The Ft Bragg Brotherhood (PVT. Kernodle and CPL. Kirchner) defeated the CLAW MASTERS (Baron Von Raschke and The Spoiler) at 16:02 when Kirchner connected a swinging neck-breaker on the Spoiler. Baron and Kernodle were brawling on the floor at the time and this prevented any save for the Claw Masters. Lucky for the Brotherhood, neither Raschke nor The Spoiler was able to catch their opponents in the dreaded claw hold!

MATCH #4: AWA SOUTHERN TAG TEAM MATCH

The Rock n Roll Express defeated The Shogunate (Killer Khan and Mr. Saito with Tojo Yamamoto) at 24:17. With Tojo distracting the ref, Killer Khan spit the Asian Green Mist into the eyes of Robert Gibson. When Gibson began to flail around, Morton actually tagged himself in. Khan did not realize this which allowed Morton to roll him up in a small package for the victory. The Shogunate tried to attack 3 on 2 but the Rock n Roll Express made a hasty retreat from the ring with the victory and their championship.

Match #5: Sweet Brown Sugar, The Dream Machine and Tony Atlas defeated Porkchop Cash, Ernie Ladd and Hacksaw Reed by dq at 29:21 in a 6 man tag elimination match. Each time a member of the match was pinned or submitted, they were out of the match and forced to leave ringside. The first person eliminated was Sweet Brown Sugar after Hacksaw Reed nailed him with a Double Underhook Suplex. Reed’s next victim was The Dream Machine who he nailed with a Gorilla Press Slam. Ladd seemed upset that Reed went for the pin instead of trying to get the mask off the Dream Machine. Atlas entered the ring at a huge 3-1 disadvantage but he was able to force a submission out of Porkchop Cash with a Bearhug. Next, he eliminated Ladd after another submission. It was down to Atlas and Reed but Atlas was totally spent. Reed seemed to be in control until Ladd came back to the ring. Just as Reed had Atlas up for the Gorilla Press Slam and most likely the pin, Ladd entered the ring and started hitting Atlas with overhand chop after overhand chop. The ref immediately called for the bell and gave the victory to Sugar, Dream Machine and Atlas. Ladd looked really angry at Ladd but Ladd seemed content to put the boots to Atlas. Reed just shook his head and left the ring.

MATCH #6: The Sheepherders and Roddy Piper with JR Foley defeat Jerry Lawler, Bill Dundee and Plowboy Frazier in 28:34 when Foley got involved and hit Frazier over the head with the flag pole used to carry the British Commonwealth flag. This happened after some really dirty double teaming tactics by Piper and The Sheepherders. Lawler and Dundee attempted to rush in to help their partner and this is when Foley did the dirty deed. The fans have really had enough of Foley, Piper and Sheepherders who always seem to bend the rules just enough to win.

MATCH #7: CWA TITLE MATCH: Austin Idol and Bruiser Brody wrestle to a 30 minute draw. Just as in any match that Brody is in, this was a backyard brawl from the beginning. Brody beat and beat Idol but could not just get the pin. The action was all over the arena and Idol stepped up to the challenge. To his credit, he had the 6’8 monster on the ropes a few times. He actually worked on the leg and put Brody in the Las Vegas Leglock but Brody broke the hold by reaching the ropes. After the match, the fans seemed to realize that their newest and biggest enemy, Austin Idol may be champion for a long time.

CWA WRESTLING: NASHVILLLE, TENNESSEE

FROM TENNESSEE STATE FAIRGROUNDS

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 1984

gFeRN6T.jpg?1

MATCH #1: Shane Douglas defeats Robert Reed by pin after a powerslam at 11:56.

MATCH #2: The Claw masters, Baron Von Raschke and The Spoiler defeat The Nightmares when Von Raschke locked in the Brain Claw on Nightmare #2 at 7:42. The Claw Masters remain undefeated in the CWA

MATCH #3: The House of Humperdink, Lord Humongous, Buzz Sawyer and Hercules Hernandez defeat Plowboy Frazier, Steve Simpson and Bam Bam Bigelow in 6 man tag action when Hercules Hernandez locked in the Backbreaker Rack on Steve Simpson which caused him to tap out. The fans were disappointed at how one-sided this match was as they were hoping that Frazier could enact some revenge on Humperdink. The match was so one –sided that Humperdink didn’t even bother to get involved but he was also smart enough to keep his distance from Frazier. Those two will meet in the Mid-South Coliseum on Feb 13th.

MATCH #4: Killer Khan and Tojo Yamamoto defeated CPL. Kirchner at 8:21 after Yamamoto distracted the ref and Khan sprayed the Asian Green Mist into the eyes of Kirchner and then followed that up with a Cobra Clutch which put the lights out on Kirchner. Khan refused to wake up Kirchner which in the CWA he is responsible to do. His lead to Private Kernodle rushing the ring but this might have been a mistake. Yamamoto and Khan together really laid the boot to Kernodle. This feud is really heating up!

Match #5: The Sheepherders with JR Foley defeated The Dream Machine and Sweet Brown Sugar after an all-out war. The Dream Machine almost had the victory after a bionic elbow to Luke Williams but Foley jumped up on the apron which delayed the count by the ref. After this, The Sheepherders turned violent and used everything at ringside to punish both Dream Machine and Sweet Brown Sugar. The end came when Williams used Butch Miller’s head as a battering ram on the already bloodies Sugar at 21:02.

MATCH #6: AWA SOUTHERN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT

The Rock n Roll Express successfully defended their titles against Ernie Ladd and Porkchop Cash at 18:32. Ladd and Cash tried to make this a brawl but the Express were a little too quick and a little too smart to let that happen. The end actually came when Ricky Morton pretended to be more hurt than he was while being held by Cash. Ladd came off the ropes and went for a Big Boot by Morton broke free at the last second and Ladd nailed his own partner. Gibson hit he ropes and popped Ladd with a dropkick preventing him from making the save as the ref counted 1…2…3… on Porkchop Cash. After the match Ladd seemed frustrated at Cash.

MATCH #7: NWA MID AMERICAN TITLE MATCH: Hacksaw Butch Reed vs Jerry “The King” Lawler

At first, it looked like the King was going to be the new champ as he was able to neutralize Reed’s power advantage with some very good technical moves. He was wearing down Reed but went for his top rope fist drop too quickly and Reed rolled out the way. Reed was first to his feet and looked ready to take control but Ernie Ladd hit the ring and attacked Lawler. As the ref called for the bell to DQ Reed, Reed actually pulled Ladd off of Lawler and started to yell at him, asking what was he doing. The house mic picked up Ladd saying that Reed should thank him as he just saved him his belt. Reed threw his hands up and walked out of the ring. By this time, Lawler had regrouped and put a beating on Ladd. All to the delight of the fans. The match lasted 20:45.

MATCH 8: AWA SOUTHERN TITLE MATCH: Roddy Piper with JR Foley vs Tony Atlas

Surprisingly this match was very one-sided. Tony Atlas dominated the match from the opening bell to the last moment. He was able to land some major moves and seemed to have the match won after a Gorilla Press Slam but Foley picked up Piper’s leg and placed it across the bottom rope. Atlas saw this and stood up and went to the ropes and began shouting at Foley. The ref tried to back up Foley and this allowed Piper a chance recover and hit Piper with a low blow. He quickly followed that up with a small package and with a grab of the tights, got the three count.

MATCH 9: CWA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Austin Idol vs Superstar Dundee

This match was a brawl from the get go. After hitting a piledriver, it looked like Dundee was going to capture the title but somehow Idol kicked out at 2 3/4. The action spilled to the outside of the ring where Idol scooped up Dundee and dropped him across the ring barrier. Dundee was busted open and unable to beat the 10 count back into the ring. Idol retained his belt by his count out victory. This did not stop Idol from leaving the ring and continuing to work over Dundee. Jerry Lawler rushed down and attacked Idol. Lawler eat him from pillar to post and connected with about 10 huge haymakers. Idol was able to slip out and beat a hasty retreat. To the approval of the crowd, the night ended with Lawler and a shaken Dundee in control of the ring.

CWA WRESTLING: CHATTANOOGA, TENNESSEE

FROM UTC ARENA

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 1984

b75ZkUa.png?1

MATCH #1: Bam Bam Bigelow defeats Ken Raper by pin after a powerslam at 4:06.

MATCH #2: Brett Wayne defeats Shane Douglas after connecting with a top rope elbow drop on the chin of Douglas at 6:02. This was almost Douglas’s biggest win to date after he connected with big body slam but Wayne kicked out after a 2 count.

MATCH #3: The Claw Masters, Baron Von Raschke and The Spoiler, defeat Wendell Cooley and Tommy Gilbert after The Spoiler pinned Gilbert while applying a stomach claw at 6:12. The Claw Masters remain undefeated.

MATCH #4: Mr. Saito Killer and Tojo Yamamoto defeated PVT. Kernodle at 12:21 after Saito connected with a Saito Suplex. These is the second night in a row that a member of the Shogunate defeated a member of the Ft. Bragg Brotherhood. We will have to wait and see what happens when these two teams square off at the Mid-South Coliseum on Feb 13th.

Match #5: Buzz Sawyer and Hercules Hernandez with Sir Oliver Humperdink defeat Plowboy Frazier and Steve Simpson after Mad Dog Sawyer hit a frog splash on Steve Simpson which resulted in the pin at 14:12. The House of Humperdink used their viciousness on the rookie and really kept him from tagging in Frazier at all. Again, Humperdink kept his distance from Frazier. Sawyer and Hercules were like ravaged animals tonight as they are continuing their push for a tag title!

MATCH #6: 6 MAN TAG BOUT

Ernie Ladd, Butch Reed and Porkchop Cash vs Sweet Brown Sugar, Tony Atlas and the Dream Machine

This match was a brawl from beginning to end. The fans were excited when Atlas was able to gain control on Reed and they went wild when The Dream Machine began to dance and gyrate and hit Ladd with bionic elbow after bionic elbow. Unfortunately the bout ended in the favor a Ladd’s Army when Porkchop Cash connected with a powerslam on Sweet Brown Sugar. After the match, Ladd ordered his “army” members to attack The Dream Machine and take off his mask but Reed refused to follow his orders and left the ring. Ladd and Cash thought better of going 3-2 against their opponents so nothing else came of this.

MATCH #7: 6 MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

The Rock n Roll Express and Superstar Dundee vs The Sheepherders and Roddy Piper with JR Foley

Again local promoter has pitted two sets of enemies against each other in this 6 man tag match. This was a wild one. Butch Williams threw Robert Gibson into ref Paul Morton which left him down and out for quite some time. Foley so this as his chance to get in the ring. It appeared that he was about to kick Bill Dundee with a low blow but to the delight of the fans, The RnR Express caught him with one of their famous double dropkicks. Unfortunately while this was going on, Dundee did not see Piper come up from behind him. He reached into his kilt, pulled out some type of foreign object and wham! Knocked Dundee out cold. While this was going, the Sheepherders and The Express had tumbles out to floor and were involved in an all-out brawl. This made the cover easy for Piper. Foley scrambled to his feet, aided the ref and watched the 3 count.

MATCH 8: CWA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Austin Idol vs “The King” Jerry Lawler

The fans were loving this main event, especially as Lawler was in complete control in the early going. For the second match in a row, the ref was knocked down. This time, Idol rammed into him on purpose because he was in serious trouble. Lawler made the mistake of trying to help ref Jerry Calhoun. Idol pulled a pair of brass knuckles out of his pocket and swung at Lawler. Lawler, kicked Idol in the mid- section and threw a wild right hand that connected with Idols head causing the brass knuckles to go flying. Lawler saw this and put them on his hand. Calhoun was now on his feet and saw Idol down and Lawler with the brass knuckles. He put the two together in his head and disqualified Lawler. Lawler, upset at already being disqualified, picked Idol up and hit him square in the jaw with the illegal objects. To the delight of the crown, Idol was out cold but he did retain his title.

CWA WRESTLING: JACKSON, TENNESSEE

FROM THE OMAN ARENA

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 1984

SpwRoQM.jpg?1

MATCH #1: Steve Simpson defeats Robert Reed with the Johannesburg Sleeper at 4:06.

MATCH #2: Lord Humongous with Sir Oliver Humperdink defeats Ted Allen after an AX SMASH at 3:02.

MATCH #3: The Claw Masters, Baron Von Raschke and The Spoiler, defeat Ken Raper and David Johnson after Von Raschke caught Johnson with the Brain Claw at 5:12. The Claw Masters remain undefeated.

MATCH #4: Buzz Sawyer and Hercules Hernandez with Sir Oliver Humperdink defeat Bam Bam Bigelow and Shane Douglas after Sawyer hit Bigelow with a top rope Frog Splash at 6:34. The rookies continue to improve but the House of Humperdink is just too big a jump.

Match #5: The Shogunate, Killer Khan, Mr. Saito and Tojo Yamamoto defeat the Ft Bragg Brotherhood, Pvt. Kernodle and Cpl. Kirchner, and Brett Wayne when Mr. Saito connected with a Saito Suplex on Brett Wayne at 17:32. This was a war as the Shogunate and The Brotherhood have been after each other for months now. Yamamoto never entered the ring but did damage from the outside by chopping or kicking anyone who got close enough. When this was over, it took CWA officials and wrestlers to come to the ring and break up the brawl.

MATCH #6: Ernie Ladd and Porkchop Cash vs Sweet Brown Sugar, and the Dream Machine

Ladd and Cash tried to use their power advantage on Sweet Brown Sugar but he dazzled them with his speed and athleticism. He ducked under a Big Boot from Ladd and came off the rope with a huge drop kick. He quickly tagged in The Dream Machine who shimmied and danced his way to Ladd and that hit him with a huge Bionic Elbow. Sweet Brown Sugar rushed over and drop kicked Cash off the apron before he could make the save. To the delight of the fans, The Dream Machine pinned Ladd for the three count. Ladd was furious and claimed that Dream Machine’s elbow pad was loaded.

MATCH #7: 8 MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

The Rock n Roll Express, Jerry Lawler and Superstar Dundee vs The Sheepherders, Austin Idol and Roddy Piper with JR Foley

It seems that this match pitted all the current feuds of the CWA into one match. As could be expected there was not a lot of technical wrestling going on. Ref Paul Morton seemed to lose control as there was fighting all over the arena. The end came when Lawler caught Idol with a top rope fist diving fist drop at 27:45. This was the first time Lawler has pinned Idol since he became champ. He hopes his victory carries over to the title match on Feb 13th.

MATCH 8: NWA Mid-American Title Bout: Hacksaw Butch Reed vs Tony Atlas

These two continue their feud all over the CWA. This match was the same as the others. Huge momentum swings due to the power of these wrestlers. When either one of these two muscle freaks hits a big move, the other is down for a while. Both mem had many chances to win this match but it ended with a 30 minute time draw. While these two men really don’t like each other, they do respect each other. This is Reed’s first contest in a while where Ladd has not interfered and cost him a victory.

CWA WRESTLING: 2/11/1984: MSC STUDIOS (Memphis)

PYa486l.jpg?1

SEGMENT #1: THIS WEEK IN THE CWA BY DAVE BROWN

· MATCH OF THE WEEK:

CWA TITLE MATCH: Austin Idol and Bruiser Brody wrestle to a 30 minute draw. Just as in any match that Brody is in, this was a backyard brawl from the beginning. Brody beat and beat Idol but could not just get the pin. The action was all over the arena and Idol stepped up to the challenge. To his credit, he had the 6’8 monster on the ropes a few times. He actually worked on the leg and put Brody in the Las Vegas Leglock but Brody broke the hold by reaching the ropes. After the match, the fans seemed to realize that their newest and biggest enemy, Austin Idol may be champion for a long time.

· TAG TEAM OF THE WEEK: Rock n Roll Express

The Rock n Roll Express had a huge title defense this week against Mr. Saito and Killer Khan. They hope this will propel them to another victory against the Sheepherders at St. Valentine’s Eve Massacre on Feb 13th at the Mid-South Coliseum.

· WRESTLER OF THE WEEK: Jerry Lawler

With a win over Butch Reed in singles competition and a pin on Austin Idol during a big tag match would have been enough to earn him this award by itself, but the CWA would also like to thank Lawler for taking rookies, Bam Bam Bigelow and Shane Douglas under his wing and teach them the ropes.

· OTHER NOTES:

The CWA officials have decided to update the CWA Rankings on a monthly basis instead of a weekly basis. Fans can look forward to the next rankings during the first week of March.

COMMERCIAL BREAK WITH PROMO FOR UPCOMING SHOWS

SEGMENT #2

MATCH: Plowboy Frazier vs David Johnson

Frazier easily wins this squash match with a Big Splash at 2:47.

After the match Frazier goes to the interview table where Lance Russell asks him about his upcoming match with Sir Oliver Humperdink. Frazier says that it is a dream come true. He can’t wait to get his hands on Humperdink who has been causing so much trouble in the CWA for so long. Russell asks Frazier why he wanted a no DQ match and isn’t he afraid that this will allow the rest of the House of Humperdink to get involved. Frazier simply smiles and says “No.” The entire House of Humperdink comes up from behind and Humperdink grabs the microphone from Frazier. Humperdink starts yelling at Frazier and calling him a dumb hillbilly and that if he isn’t afraid of what will happen in the Mid-South Coliseum on Monday, and that right now will be an eye opener. Humperdink demands that Buzz Sawyer, Hercules Hernandez and Lord Humongous attack Frazier. They happily oblige and really give it too Frazier. Wrestlers rush from the back but the damage may already have been done. Humperdink warns Plowboy that if he dares to show up on Monday night, that it will be more of the same. He again tells Frazier how dumb he is for putting in a new DQ stipulation and that he is in for the beating of his life.

SEGMENT #3:

MATCH: Tony Atlas, The Dream Machine and Sweet Brown Sugar vs The Nightmares and Ken Raper

The match showcases all the talent of the fan favorites. Sweet Brown Sugar’s dropkicks, the dancing and jiving of the Dream Machine and the power of Tony Atlas. The match came to an end after each man had his way with one of the opponents and The Dream Machine finally put Nightmare #1 out of his misery with a Gorilla Press Slam. The match lasted 5:01.

The victors went to the interview desk where Lance Russell asked the Dream Machine and Tony Atlas about their upcoming matches at the Mid-South Coliseum. Tony Atlas said he couldn’t wait to get Hacksaw Reed in the ring again. He admitted that the two have had some great battles of late but that he felt really good about his chances at becoming the next NWA Mid-American Champ. The Dream Machine kind of smiled and said that he was already thinking of the ways to spend Ernie Ladd’s $10,000. This brought Ernie Ladd out and he was carrying a banner that read “Promises, Promises. He then proceeded to promise the people of the CWA that this fake was truly Troy Graham and that Graham and Jarrett were in cahoots and that is why the CWA took Graham out of the tag match with Sweet Brown Sugar for the NWA Mid-American Titles and that Graham should be ashamed of himself for quitting on his partner. Things got a little hot but refs came out and separated Ladd and the Dream Machine. Lance Russell once again said how St. Valentine’s Eve Massacre was going to be one hot ticket in the city of Memphis.

SEGMENT #4:

Match: The Youngbloods vs The Claw Masters

This is some match for TV. Mark and Jay have not been together in a while but they are getting ready for their title bout against Dutch Mantel and Bobby Jaggers at the Mid-South Coliseum. The Claw Masters, Baron Von Raschke and The Spoiler have yet to lose in the CWA. Just before the bell sounded, The Kansas Jayhawks hit the ring, cowboy hats, tobacco and of course their bull whips. The Youngbloods, also in full Native American gear had their Indian Straps with them. Neither team backed down and a real donnybrook ensued. At the end of it, the Youngbloods owned the ring after Mark hit a fall down back body drop on Jaggers and his brother did the same to Dirty Dutch. The Indians went for their straps but the Kansas Jayhawks beat a hasty retreat.

Jay Youngblood and Mark Youngblood went to the interview table where they were rally hot and bothered. They did not even wait for Lance to ask a question they both started yelling how they were not afraid of the Jayhawks and how dirty they both were. They reminded the fans about the last match against the Jawkawks where they hanged Mark and Jules Strongbow and how they intentionally tried to injure them. Mark promise how this Monday was going to be different and how it would be the Jawhawks carried out on a stretcher as he as his brother raise the NWA Mid-American Tag Titles.

SEGMENT #5:

Match: CWA Champion Roddy Piper with Jr Foley vs Wendell Cooley

Piper and Foley do their best to anger the audience. From the Bag Pipes to the kilt to the flag of the British Commonwealth, they show the USA no respect. As far as the match goes, Piper teaches Cooley that he is not ready for this type of action. Using ever trick in the book, Piper has Cooley so turned around, he doesn’t know what way is up. After a piledriver, there is no more up and a quick count of three is made.

Piper and Foley make their way to Lance Russell where Russell asks them about the upcoming match with “Superstar” Dundee at the Coliseum. Piper and Foley in all their arrogance don’t seem to understand Jerry Jarrett’s logic in pitting such a great wrestler and champion like Piper in a gimmick match against a Midget! Piper says that he just doesn’t get America’s lack of class and why they must make fun of the “little people.” This brings out Dundee who goes right after Piper. Piper says that he was taught and an early age not to be a bully and that a grown man should not attack a second grader. Dundee is not enraged and attacks Piper. This only gives Foley a chance to clobber him with the flagpole. In just under a minute, Dundee is a bloody mess as Foley and Piper walk off. Lawler rushes out to help his friend but it was just too late to do anything.

Segment #6

Jerry Lawler is at the interview desk and he is hot. He is all over Roddy Piper and JR Foley. He challenges then to any type of match they want. Lance Russell tries to bring him to talk about his upcoming match with Austin Idol but he storms off in search of Piper.

Match: Ft. Bragg Brotherhood, PVT. Kernodle and CPL. Kirchner vs Robert Reed and Ken Raper

The Brotherhood give the fans a Patriotic entrance as the way the flag of the U.S. on their way to the ring. The crowd is really connecting with this team lately. The match was pretty much a squash and ended when Pvt. Kernodle connected with a neckbreaker on Ken Raper at 4:02. As soon as the match ended, Mr. Saito and Killer Khan along with their manager, Tojo Yamamoto hit the ring. Khan quickly sprayed the green mist into the eyes of Kernodle. This gave Mr. Saito and Yamamoto time to work over Kirchner.

As The Brotherhood gets medical attention in the ring, the Shogunate make a quick trip to the interview desk. Yamamoto reminds Mis-tah Russell that he warned the Bootherhood to not get in the way of his men. That Kornodtle and Kewschner are just stuuupid Ahhmericans and if they dare to how up on Monday night, it will be more of the same.

SEGMENT #7

The Brotherhood are at the interview desk. Kernodle is trying to wash his eyes out with water, while Kirchner is struggling to stand after the beating by Yamamoto and his men. Pvt. Kernodle is asking that Jerry Jarrett please come out to the desk. He gets his wish and Jarrett asks him what he wants. Kernodle, obviously, is very upset at the recent actions of the Shogunate. He says there is no way to get a fair match. Yamamoto will not let that happen and constantly interferes in matches. Kirchner reminds Jarrett that twice in recent weeks, Tojo has donned the wrestling tights and gotten into the ring. The Brotherhood asks that Jarrett changes the match between the Brotherhood and Khan and Mr. Saito on Monday night to a 6 man tag team event. Jarrett asks who their partner would be. The Brotherhood says they would rather not say. Jarrett seems to ponder this proposal for a moment and then agrees. The Brotherhood is excited and Lance Russell now announces the match on Monday as Killer Khan, Mr. Saito and Tojo Yamamoto vs The Ft Bragg Brotherhood and a mystery partner.

Match: Humperdink Challenge: Buzz Sawyer, Hercules Hernandez and Lord Humongous vs The Rookies, Bam Bam Bigelow, Shane Douglas and Steve Simpson. (If the rookies win, they get $15,000)

While the crowd had some energy for this match and some hope as they have watched the steady improvement of these young wrestlers, they were quickly in awe of the savageness of the House of Humperdink. They completely man handled these rookies. Mercifully, the match ended after a huge Frog Splash by Sawyer at just 3:02. All three rookies looked completely worn out and the House of Humperdink seemed like caged animals that wanted to eat more raw meat.

SEGMENT 8:

Lance Russell announces to the fans that they are about to see a taped message from Ric Flair who is to meet Andre the Giant at St. Valentine’s Eve Massacre. Flair goes off on Jarrett for making this match and how it is unfair and ridiculous that he has to face the Giant. He lets the fans know that he is not backing down and he has many tricks up his sleeve and how the Giant is going down.

Lance Russell says that Flair doesn’t seem to be as cocky at he normally is and that maybe Flair has meet his match. Austin Idol makes his way to the desk and starts to insult Jerry Lawler. Idol keeps calling him Queen Lawler and that he has lost his focus and is just worrying about his new restaurant. He calls Lawler nothing but a short order cook. Lawler rushes the desk and starts brawling with Idol. The Sheepherders and Piper rush to Idol’s aid and try hang him up by his neck to the ring post. The crowd gives a roar as a bandaged Dundee and the Rock n Roll Express hit the ring. A brawl to end all brawls ensues. It is like Monday has come early. Dundee has paired off with Piper, The Sheepherders are all over the Rock n Roll Express and Lawler and Idol are rolling around on the floor.

Total Chaos ensues. Rivals are beating rivals. Friends are aiding friends. Lance Russell is heard saying, “All roads lead to the Mid-South Coliseum and St. Valentines Eve Massacre on February 13th.

The Credits roll while the chaos continues. The screen fades to black.

Memphis continues to move forward here this week with another exciting edition of the show. I said it a couple of weeks ago, the formatting needed some work and you put forth a great effort since then. Now it is not my particular cup of tea, but I am not big on numbering the segments, but to each their own. I know it can help with organization and such. Overall though, I'd say your finding some clarity with your show and the usage of your top guys and finding spots. I am fearful of Lawler's future with so many around him, but he is the King and time will tell.

FF08ggO.jpg

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 1984

ST. VALENTINE’S EVES MASSACRE

MATCH #1:

PVT KERNODLE, CPL. KIRCHNER & A MYSTERY PARTNER VS KILLER KHAN, MR. SAITO & TOJO YAMAMOTO

PVT. Don Kernodle and Corporal Kirchner come to the ring first and you could just feel the suspense in the air. Who would be their tag team partner? All of a sudden, the crowd erupted as Sgt. Slaughter made his way down the aisle. He enters the ring and hugs his military brethren. Tojo leads the Shogunate out to a loud chorus of boos. The fans are letting them have it but they are giving it right back. The match is back and forth as includes many quick tags. The action got a little wild as Mr. Saito and Cpl. Kirchner were the legal men in the ring but they took the action to the aisles and walkways of the Coliseum. Somehow neither men were counted out. Once the action returned to the ring, Tojo was tagged in but at the same time, so was Sgt. Slaughter. The crowd went wild as these two men stood toe to toe with other and traded punches and chops. Eventually Slaughter won the exchange and he followed it up with a huge body slam. As Tojo was recovering, Slaughter was lurking behind him. As Tojo began to rise, Slaughter slapped on the Cobra Clutch! Both Saito and Khan try to rush in a save their manager, but the Brotherhood cut them off. The crowd roared as Tojo slumped down to the mat as the lights began to go out! The ref raised Tojo’s arm for a count of 1…2….3….. The fans rejoiced in America’s success and the FT. Bragg Brotherhood saluted them Sgt. Slaughter out of respect. How did they get him as a partner!

· The Fort Bragg Brotherhood & Sgt. Slaughter defeated The Shogunate by submission at 19:43.

MATCH #2

NWA MID-AMERICAN TAG TITLE MATCH

THE KANSAS JAYHAWKS: DUTCH MANTELL & BOBBY JAGGERS

VS

MARK & JAY YOUNGLOOD

The Youngbloods are excited about this match as they are back together as a team and with a chance to win the title! The brothers enter the ring in full Native American garb. The Kansas Jayhawks strut to the ring with even more arrogance than usual. They are also in full gear with their black cowboy hats, long cowboy coats, bull whips and a mouth full of tobacco. They enter to Willie Nelson’s “My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys.”

The fan favorites control the early part of the match. Mark and Jay chop away at the champs but they fail to connect on any big moves. This pace allowed “Dirty” Dutch and the Hangman Bobby Jaggers to gain the advantage. After an unclean break, Jaggers really put it on Mark. He took a huge beating that included an Elbow Drop off the Top Rope by Jaggers. Jay was able to make the save but Mark couldn’t make a tag. Finally, Mark tagged in his brother and Jay cleaned house. Mark recovered quickly and the two went on the warpath. Jay was able to catch Dirty Dutch and he scooped him up onto his shoulders and nailed him with a fall down back body drop. The ref went for the pin as Jagger entered the ring to break up the tag. Mark rushed in a caught Jaggers with a chop that echoed throughout the arena. This allowed Ref Jerry Calhoun to complete the 3 count and the crowd went wild. The Youngbloods with the belts as the Kansas Jayhawks look stunned.

The Youngbloods win the bout by pin at 13:24 and we have new Mid-American Tag Champs.

MATCH #3

NWA MID-AMERICAN TITLE MATCH

HACKSAW BUTCH REED VS MR. USA TONY ATLAS

This is the second time this two freaks of nature have faced off for the NWA Mid-American Title. The first one ended in a 30 minute draw that saw some huge power moves performed by both men. Once again, Ernie Ladd escorts Butch Reed to the ring. Nobody seems to know why this is allowed. He is a wrestler and not a manager but I guess Jerry Jarrett has decided to pick his battles and this is not going to be one of them. His match was the same. Each man was able to really work the other over but neither could gain a pin-fall. The action spilled out onto the floor where the two threw some huge haymakers. Atlas was able to bodyslam Reed on the concrete floor and make his way back into the ring. It appeared that Reed would be counted out but Ladd picked him up and rolled Reed back in the ring. The crowd thought this be both great and strange at the same time. If Reed was counted out, he would have retained his title. By Ladd putting him in the ring, Atlas still had a chance to become champ. Atlas now with a huge advantage, scooped up Reed into a massive Bearhug! Reed refused to give up but was greatly weakened when Atlas broke the hold. The two once again began to trade blows. Ladd, once again, made his presence known and got up on the apron. Reed caught Atlas with a wild right hand and tried to whip him into the ropes. Ladd saw this and thought this was his chance. He started to pick up his right leg for a Big Boot on Atlas. Mr. USA reversed the move at the last minute and WHAM! Ladd nailed Reed with a Big Boot. While Ladd looked on in shock, Atlas rushed in for the pin. Ref Paul Morton began the count

1….

2….

3….

Tony Atlas has won the match and we have a new NWA Mid-American Champion. Ladd seems so angry but nobody knows why. He was the cause of this pin. He enters the ring and starts to kick and punch and chop at Reed. Reed his so warn out from the match, that he can’t fight back. Reed is in serious trouble as Ladd is going wild. Suddenly, Atlas attacks Ladd from behind. He is all over him. With a sudden surge of adrenaline, Atlas lifts the 6’9, 320 pounder over his head for a Press Slam. Ladd is down and out. Reed looks on and is stunned. Atlas walks over to Reed and extends his hand. Reed unsure what to do just looks at Atlas. Atlas leaves the hand there for what seems to be an uncomfortable amount of time. Reed…………… reaches out and………………. Shakes it! The crowd goes wild!

· Tony Atlas wins by pin at 18:03 and we have a new NWA Mid-American Champion

MATCH 4:

PLOWBOY FRAZIER VS SIR OLIVER HUMPERDINK: _ (NO DQ)

This match was sanctioned when Jerry Jarrett gave Plowboy Frazier the choice of wrestling any member of the House of Humperdink on this card. Frazier said he had no hard feelings against any member of the House of Humperdink, just Sir Oliver himself. He also asked for a No DQ stipulation as he felt Humperdink would just run away. The fans are excited to see Humperdink get what he deserves. Humperdink is first to the ring and he seems really scared. When Frazier enters the ring and the bell is rung, Humperdink tries to run and hide but there is little room. He slips out of the ring and continues to run away from Plowboy. Frazier tries to catch him but as you would expect, the 400+ pounder isn’t too quick. Humperdink begins to run up the aisle and it seems like there will be no match. Frazier is in hot pursuit when all of a sudden, the entire House of Humperdink comes at Frazier. The 4-1 beating he is getting is tough to watch. The House of Humperdink is barbaric in their abuse. After two minutes or so, they have destroyed Frazier and have him back in the ring. Humperdink, in another cocky move, places a boot on the belly of Frazier as Ref Paul Morton makes the three count. The fans realize that Humperdink has again out-smarted his opponent. Or has he…..

As the House of Humperdink are laughing and having a grand old time, 2 huge, and I mean huge men with thick beards and overalls make their way to the ring. Each man must be 6’5 or bigger and weigh in excess of 350 pounds. They just step over the top rope and begin throwing wild haymakers and stomping the House of Humperdink. It didn’t matter that it was 4-2, these two quickly cleared the ring and they did most of it with a smile on their face. Next, they went to Plowboy and helped him to his feet. When he saw who it was, his face broke out in a smile from ear to ear. He seemed to forget all about his pain. We will have to find out who these two monster are.

· Sir Oliver Humperdink wins by pin at 5:07.

MATCH 5

ERNIE “THE BIG CAT” LADD VS THE DREAM MACHINE

(Mask vs $10,000)

This feud has been raging for a couple of months now. Ladd’s Army has been harassed by the Dream Machine for a while and by any means necessary. Ladd has placed a bounty of $10,000 on the mask which he claims hides the face of Troy Graham. CWA President, Jerry Jarrett has decided to let these two settle their own problem’s tonight. If Ladd wins, the mask comes off. If The Dream Machine wins, he gets Ladd’s $10,000. The fans are all over Ladd as he makes his way to the ring. As instructed, he hands a suitcase filled with the money over to ref Paul Morton.

As the match gets under way, it is all Ladd. The Big Cat uses his 6’9 frame to chop The Dream Machine down to the ground. He locks in the Abdominal Stretch and really pulls Machine from one end to the other but he refuses to give up. As he has the move locked in, the crowd begins to make some commotion. Ladd has his back to the walkway to the locker room and since he doesn’t want to break the hold doesn’t know what is going on. Finally he can’t take it anymore. He throws the Dream Machine to the ground and turns around. He can’t believe his eyes. It is Troy Graham standing on the apron. Troy simply hops down to the floor as Ernie Ladd’s mouth is wide open in stunned disbelief. From behind, The Dream Machine simply rolls up Ernie Ladd. As the ref makes the 3 count, The Dream Machine jumps up and celebrates. He knows he is now $10,000 richer! Ref Paul Morton hands over the suitcase and Graham and The Dream Machine celebrate. The Dream Machine yells to Ladd as he is exiting the ring and Ladd turns around. The Dream Machine slowly unties his mask and as he pulls it off there is a gasp from the fans followed by a huge ovation. The fans are going wild as it is none other than “The Boogie Woogie Man” Jimmy Valiant!

· The Dream Machine wins at 12:31.

MATCH 6

AWA SOUTHERN CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

ROWDY RODDY PIPER WITH JR FOLEY VS SUPERSTAR BILL DUNDEE

Once again, Foley, Piper, The flag of the British Commonwealth, the bag pipes, the kilt and the brashness of the entire Commonwealth has the fans really giving it to Piper and Foley on their way to the ring. As for the match, it is high intensity with many momentum changes. Foley is all over ref Jerry Calhoun but seemed to be staying out of the match for the most part. That is until both wrestlers were out on the floor. He was able to get the ref’s attention and this allowed Piper to grab a roll of quarters that he had in his trunks. Dundee was unable to block the loaded right hand from Piper and was out cold. Jerry Calhoun unsure of what had happened, had no choice but to make the 3 count once he turned his attention back to the match.

· Roddy Piper wins by pin at 17:21 due to a foreign object

MATCH 7:

AWA SOUTHERN TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

The ROCK n ROLL EXPRESS VS THE SHEEPHERDERS with JR Foley

The Rock N Roll Express, the AWA Southern Tag Team Champions enter the ring to KISS and “Rock N Roll All Night.” This is a return bout from last Monday night that saw the Rock n Roll Express survive. It also will not be the last time these teams meet as they are two of the most dominate tag teams in the world. The Sheepherders with their disgraceful manager, JR Foley make their way to the ring taunting each and every fan along the way.

As the match starts, it is the RnR Express who takes control but it is short lived. Both teams are so talented on defense and in the art of tag team wrestling that there are many quick tags and reversals in the early going. The Sheepherders take control after a double team on Gibson that included many kicks and punches. After one more tag, Gibson was on the canvass after a massive head-butt from Butch Miller. From here, Miller tossed Gibson out of the ring where Foley was lurking. Morton rushed over to try and prevent any dirty tactics but this just turned out to be all 4 brawling out on the floor, as ref Paul Morton started the 10 count, it looked like both teams were going to be counted out but at the last second, Gibson and Miller got back in the ring. On his way back to his corner, Morton nailed Foley to the delight of the crowd. Inside the ring, both Sheepherders just went wild on Gibson. When the ref finally restores order it looked like Gibson was in huge trouble. Somehow he made it to his corner and tagged in Ricky Morton. Morton just cleared house, taking on both Sheepherders at the same time but as he whipped Miller into the ropes, Miller hooked his arms around the ropes which caused Morton to miss his dropkick. The Sheepherders now continued their mauling of the RnR Express. Morton is thrown to the floor where he seems to have injured his leg. The Sheepherders see this and Williams drapes the right leg across the ring stairs as Miller leaps from the apron across the dangling leg. Morton is screaming in pain. He can’t seem to put any pressure on it. Again, The Sheepherders hold the leg down as the others leaps from the apron. It appears that leg is badly injured. Williams rolls Morton back into the ring and Williams covers him. Ref Paul Morton makes the three count and we have new AWA Southern Tag Team Champions! More important, how badly is Ricky Morton injured? The fans are in shock at the brutality of the Sheepherders.

· The Sheepherders win by pin at 25:25 and we have new AWA Southern Tag Champs!

MATCH 8:

NWA WORLD TITLE MATCH

RIC FLAIR VS ANDRE THE GIANT

This match was set by Jerry Jarrett in an attempt to watch Flair suffer and loose his belt all at once. Flair has recently said some pretty derogatory things about the CWA and in particular, Jerry Lawler. Jarrett thought making him fight Andre the Giant would be a way for revenge. As would be expected, Flair comes out to a huge chorus of boos while Andre gets all the love from the crowd. Flair tries his best to run and keep away from Andre but the squared circle just has no place for Flair to hide. This match really shows Flair and his best or worst depending on how you see things. He tries every dirty trick known to man but nothing seems to work against the Giant. The Giant hits big move after big move. He connects with a huge body slam and follows it up by sitting across the chest of Flair for a near pin fall. As Flair gets up, the Giant whips him into the turnbuckle. Flair goes upside down and flips over the ropes and out onto the floor. The Giant cautiously makes his way out of the ring but Flair catches him with a knee to the back of the leg which caused the Giant to fall to the ground. Flair simply kicks him repeatedly and then just jumps onto the feet of the Giant and refuses to let him up. The ref soon makes the 10 count as disqualifies both wrestlers. Flair jumps up, grabs his belt and heads for the hills. Flair has found a way to save his title after the 7’4 Giant gave him the beating of his life.

· Andre the Giant wins by Count-out at 20:31.

MATCH 9

CWA CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL:

AUSTIN IDOL VS JERRY LAWLER

This is the one for all the marbles. The fans are still upset at the recent turn by Austin Idol and are hoping their King can win the CWA Title tonight. The match is very physical but they are both staying within the confines of the rules. Idol is able to control this as he used his power advantage to back Lawler towards the corner and catch him with an open hand chop across the side of Lawler’s head. From here a bodyslam leads to an attempted piledriver which Lawler blocked.

Idol continues to try to use his power moves but Lawler’s defensive skills allow him to block or reverse each and every one. Idol gets frustrated and doesn’t break cleaner in the corner. He knees Lawler in the mid-section and now the two ex-friends are in the middle of an all-out brawl. After a few wild haymakers, Idol is now in control. He is able to place the Las Vegas Leglock on Lawler. He uses the ropes to his advantage as he pulls up on them increasing the pressure on Lawler. Lawler refuses to submit but each time ref Jerry Calhoun asks Lawler if he wants to give, Idol grabs the ropes and really amps it up. Finally, Calhoun catches Idol and what he is doing. He demands Austin to break the hold but Idol refuses until the last possible second before he was to be disqualified. To Calhoun’s credit, he gets right in Idol’s face and begins to admonish him and pushes him back to the corner. Idol starts going right back at Calhoun and the two are really jarring back and forth.

WHAM!

Lawler had grabbed Idol and whipped him right into Calhoun who hits the canvas. Lawler now takes complete control and figures what is good for the goose is good for the gander. If Idol can break the rules so can the King. I guess he had this planned from all along and maybe tonight was not about winning a title but getting revenge. Lawler seems to be bending over as he approaches Idol this time. He grabs Lawler into a side headlock and

POOOF……

sGiBryV.jpg?1

Lawler has thrown a fire ball right into the face of Idol. Idol is on the ground screaming in pain. Lawler seems to be satisfied with his actions and starts to placate to the fans who are either too excited to talk or too scarred. Some are surprised at the actions of Lawler but they understand how he feels about Idol’s behavior of late. Ref Paul Morton rushes into the ring and quickly calls for the bell. Lawler has been disqualified but he doesn’t seem to care. This feud is about to set Memphis on FIRE!

· Austin Idol retains his title after Lawler was disqualified.

W3ako9N.jpg?1