Pro Wrestling Only

Everyone should submit a ballot

Grimmas

I was also hesitant about submitting a ballot considering all the gaps I have. Specially after my complete failure to get into Lucha even after spending a couple of months trying to watch the most pimped stuff. But when I realized this isn't a project about a definitive list, and that it will be eventually be revisited years down the line, I changed my mind.

It's gonna be funny seeing my list with just 3 lucha guys, a couple of shoot wrestlers and whomever I can watch and like out of the WOS guys before the deadline. Specially if we do this again and I'm able to fill the gaps I have.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this. I wasn't going to submit a ballot because I have some fairly substantial gaps in my wrestling viewing. If nothing else this is going to give me some motivation and purpose behind my watching over the next hand full of months so that I can put together a list. I am not 100% sure I will submit it, but that will have nothing to do with feeling welcome as much as it will have to do with my own satisfaction, but that is a "me" thing, not a "board" thing.

After, reading this I am going all in my original strategy after reading this that is to go all in on American and straight up puro wrestling just have a ballot that has a lot of depth rather than breadth. If I have time, shoot-style will be next. Lucha, WOS, and Joshi will have to wait.

I feel way more comfortable ranking matches, but I will do my best to rank the best American and Japanese wrestlers.

I hope everyone submits a ballot and take this from a guy who has never watched a Joshi or WOS match in his life that all voices should be heard. I am taking the position that depth is more important than breadth at this point for me.

There's a lot of modern era (indy) nominees that couldn't crack my chickens eggs and scramble me a breakfast so my list will look a little different than most. If that means I shouldn't submit a ballot so be it. But I will submit one anyway.

I'm not a super lucha mark either and feel it's the phoniest of the rasslin phonies.

I do believe that everyone should submit a ballot though.

There's really no such thing as a GOAT in anything. But it's fun.

If anybody feels "not worthy" to submit a ballot, go ahead and go over to the SquaredCircle subreddit and read any random long thread and you'll immediately feel better about the gaps in your knowledge.

Well, you've sold me on me turning in a ballot. However, it's gonna be without WOS and not a lot of Memphis guys.

ok you are not allowed to turn in a ballot ;)

There's a lot of modern era (indy) nominees that couldn't crack my chickens eggs and scramble me a breakfast so my list will look a little different than most. If that means I shouldn't submit a ballot so be it. But I will submit one anyway.

I'm not a super lucha mark either and feel it's the phoniest of the rasslin phonies.

I do believe that everyone should submit a ballot though.

There's really no such thing as a GOAT in anything. But it's fun.

i feel like there is a Pirata Morgan or El Satanico match in your future

What wrestlers I think are the best is far more important than voting in a U.S. Presidential election.

Since the next President is probably going to have to fill up to three Supreme Court seats, not really this time .

Unless you live in a really short list of states, yes really.

There are other races and props down the ballot as well. Who I vote for in California as President doesn't matter other than to help run up the Popular Vote. But down ballot there likely are important things. Take 2008 in California:

2008 Presidential

8,274,473 (61.01%) Obama

5,011,781 (36.95%) McCain

Prop 8

7,001,084 (52.24%) Yes

6,401,482 (47.76%) No

Would 100% turnout have made a difference with Prop 8? Who knows. Simply that there usually are other things on the ballot worth voting for/against.

My main goal with my list is that whenever I go down the list, a wrestler above another wrestler in my mind is better. That's the hard part for me.

If I look at my list and have a random wrestler at 44, the guy at 43 needs to be better than the guy at 44 and that 44th guy needs to be better than the 45th. The lower down the list you get, the harder that becomes.

To me, Top Ten is a lot easier than 90-100. Especially that #100 - so this guy is better than EVERYONE ELSE that I've left off?

So over at Online Onslaught Forums in like 2012 they did a big 1024 elimination style bracket to crown the greatest wrestler ever. I thought it may be interesting to post and see if people care. Since it was elimination style, it is broken up into tiers based on what round they go to. Obviously dont agree with most choices and the point is to be elitist and say this list is wrong, but just to show who a WWF/WCW/ECW centric hans thinks the greatest wrestlers are. This is not here to deride. But i could not help myself towards the bottom.

1. Shawn Michaels - Confirms what people think.
2. Randy SAVAGE
Tier 1 (Top 4)
Ric Flair
Steve Austin
Tier 2 (Top 8)
Kurt Angle
CM Punk
Eddie Guerrero
Chris Jericho
Tier 3 (Sweet 16)
Jake The Snake - What??? Just seems weirdly high to me.
John Cena - That's a unexpected, but happy surprise
Bret Hart
Ricky Steamboat
Edge
The Rock
Mick Foley
Undertaker
Tier 4 (Top 32) - First Non-American Candidates
Andre
Vader
Triple H
Bryan Danielson/Daniel Bryan
Dusty Rhodes
Hulk Hogan
DDP - YES! YES! YES!
Jushin Liger
Mr. Perfect
Rick Rude
Arn Anderson
Dolph Ziggler - Holy Shit! I am in shock.
El Santo - How much footage do we even have? Another shocker
AJ Styles - They do have good taste!
Great Muta
Roddy Piper
Tier 5 (Top 64)
Sting
Jerry Lawler - Not bad!
Austin Aries - An interesting pick. I should watch some stuff
Chris Benoit
Big Show
Rey Mysterio - Wow! Way lower than I expected.
Brock Lesnar
Kevin Nash - Wow!
Ron Simmons - Whats happening?
Rhino - Ok, this is getting too weird not to comment?
Kane - Oh Lord.
Misawa - All Japan, finally!
Raven - Yep this is funny now.
RVD
Tully Blanchard
Ted DiBiase
Harley Race
Dr. Death - Pretty high, given the audience.
Samoa Joe
Bigelow
Syxx/Kid/X-Pac - I dig that pick
Scott Hall
Dustin Rhodes
Scott Steiner
Tajiri
Yokozuna
Rick Martel
James Storm
Booker T
British Bulldog
Taz - He beat Kenta Kobashi in the previous round, part of me died. Taz maybe in my bottom 20 wrestlers of all time and Kobashi may be my number one. That's why I highlight it.
Brian Pillman

So I'm one of the many who has been flip-flopping over the last few months since I discovered the board about whether I would try and cobble a list together to submit. I've been following a lot of suggestions and checking out a tons of stuff that I had never watched before, but I haven't been really vigilant about tracking what I've seen for the purpose of my list. So I took a few minutes just now to pull the current nominee list and see just where I stood for an opener.

There are currently 472 nominees on the list. I just scrolled down and ranked each name based on my kneejerk reaction to whether the were A) in consideration for my top 100, B) out of consideration, or C) not familiar enough to me to consider.

The results:
In consideration - 166

Out of consideration - 92
Not familiar enough - 214

I've been watching wrestling for over 30 years now, but my viewing has been mostly limited to American stuff. Those results seem to reflect that, as the vast majority of the Japanese and Lucha names were unknown to me and they make up about half the nominee list. I've seen enough of the big name Japanense wrestlers to feel like I could fairly rank them. I'll probably submit a ballot (which is more about actually getting around to it than a feeling of worthiness), even though by my own calculations I'm only familiar enough with 55% of the nominees to offer an educated opinion on them. And again, I've been a fan for three decades and I own and watch a considerable amount of wrestling. Perhaps not as much as some of you, but certainly more than your run-of-the-mill wrestling fan. All of which is a really long-winded way of saying that for this project to work it pretty much needs as many voters as possible, because the volume of wrestling that is out there makes it next to impossible for any one person to offer up a fair ranking by themselves. I think we need to encourage everyone to submit a ballot and trust that the system will force the true cream to rise to the top. And even if it doesn't, it'll give us something fun to debate for the next 10 years.

Let's put it this way:

I don't think anyone looks at the poll done 10 years ago as anything but a snapshot of the world of the voter base from 10 years ago. Some of that is viewing habits, and footage availability, and current sentiment.

Five years from now, people will look back at this poll in the same way.

We're not deciding upon TRUTH. We're making a snapshot, and some of that might factor into account the timing of this year's Atlantis match or new footage showing up on NWA Classics and being overvalued because it's new or whatever.

In that regard, it's sort of important that everyone does vote to create the broadest picture of the community surrounding this project possible.

Then we can see how it's changed in a year or two years or five years or ten years or whatever.

Do people disagree with this sentiment? Let's have that discussion now before it gets any closer to the vote.

Isn't this a settled issue? The overwhelming sentiment, on this thread and elsewhere, has been that everyone who's interested should vote. No one has even hinted at wanting some kind of wrestling literacy test to suppress participation. I don't see anyone pushing against the idea of the broadest snapshot possible (at least within the community of people who are insane enough to find this board in the first place).

I still would like to see Loss, OJ and others swayed to vote, though I understand their reasons for abstaining.

shoe is spot on. I think we all know that it's really hard to call anyone in sports and/or entertainment the GOAT. So many intangibles. But the thing about a project like this is that for one it's fun. Even more though we have an excuse to go back and watch shit that we might not even bother with at this point.