Pro Wrestling Only

Great <10 minute matches

cheapshot

Some that spring to mind:

Shinya Hashimoto vs Riki Choshu-NJPW 10.8.1991.

Kawada vs. Misawa Champion Carnival 1997

Ohtani vs Mochizuki Super J Cup 1995

Akiyama vs Yone (2007? I don't remember)

Sugiura vs Takayama 2009

Masakatsu Funaki vs Hideki Suzuki 2015

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many PPV main events have been under 10 minutes? I thought Hogan vs Bundy from WM2 was but it went 10:15. Sting vs Giant at GAB '98 went 6:40, I think that might be the shortest advertised main event. I'm not counting stuff like Terry Funk vs Raven at ECW Barely Legal (7:20) because that was basically a continuation of the previous match, or Sting vs Jeff Hardy TNA Victory Road (1:28) because that was just a debacle. Or matches like Studd Stable vs Rock 'n Roll Express or Gilbert & Steiner vs Varsity Club at WrestleWar '89 which were "standby matches" that went on after the main event.

LOVE this match that only goes about 7 minutes:

I wouldn't even call that *good*. It's funny. Lawler stalls more than Zybszko on Lexomils, but that's what makes it funny. But if that is considered a legit *great* match, then I'm fucking Naomi Watts every week-end. :)

Mariko Yoshida vs Yumi Fukawa from ARS 1999 first round is the best 10 minutes match I've ever seen.

With Lawler getting $1000 for every minute he could last, I think stalling was absolutely the right psychology there.

Of course. That's why it's a *fun little gimmick match*. It doesn't take a genius to work that gimmick either, but it's well done, and Lawler is quite funny getting money in his pocket by running away. But that's a not a great match, nor even a great angle or TV segment. Fun little gimmick match is perfectly okay though, nothing wrong with loving that.

I didn't know arguing with Parv about Flair had caused you to be won over by his argument that quality in wrestling is scientific and fact based instead of subjective.

That match finished within the top 40 on the Memphis 80s set for the record. I'm very skeptical of the idea that's the "worst" match that's been brought up in this thread.

I didn't know arguing with Parv about Flair had caused you to be won over by his argument that quality in wrestling is scientific and fact based instead of subjective.

Arguing with Parv about Flair has caused exactly nothing to me. Mild annoyance for 5 minutes maybe.

That match finished within the top 40 on the Memphis 80s set for the record. I'm very skeptical of the idea that's the "worst" match that's been brought up in this thread.

Rankings of any DVDVR sets means exactly zilch to me BTW.

But it's really not a matter of trying to prove anything. I saw a thread that said "great match under 10 minutes", I saw this embeded video of a match I had seen already, but watched again to be sure that was the one, and took it as an exemple of actually not being a great match at all. But still fun. I guess saying a Lawler match is only *fun* is akin to be negative at this point, but not really. It's perfectly fine for what it is, I enjoyed it the first time I saw it, I enjoyed it again this time around. But if this is a *great match*, ok, then anything can be called a great match. And Raven would skyrocket in my top 100 then. ;)

How many PPV main events have been under 10 minutes? I thought Hogan vs Bundy from WM2 was but it went 10:15. Sting vs Giant at GAB '98 went 6:40, I think that might be the shortest advertised main event. I'm not counting stuff like Terry Funk vs Raven at ECW Barely Legal (7:20) because that was basically a continuation of the previous match, or Sting vs Jeff Hardy TNA Victory Road (1:28) because that was just a debacle. Or matches like Studd Stable vs Rock 'n Roll Express or Gilbert & Steiner vs Varsity Club at WrestleWar '89 which were "standby matches" that went on after the main event.

-Savage vs JYD in the tournament finals of The Wrestling Classic.

-Savage/Zeus vs Hogan/Beefcake in No Holds Barred: The Match/The Movie.

-Rick Steiner vs Arn/Paul E. at Bash 91.

-Wrestlemania 9 counts, because both Yoko/Bret and Yoko/Hogan COMBINED went less than ten.

-Undertaker vs Underfaker at Summerslam 94.

-Diesel vs Mabel at Summerslam 95.

-Giant vs Luger at Great American Bash 96.

-Luger vs Savage at Souled Out 98.

-SnowStorm vs DougDido at ECW Living Dangerously 98.

-Sting vs Giant at Great American Bash 98.

-Nash vs Savage at Great American Bash 99.

-Goldberg vs Sting at Halloween Havoc 99.

-The six-man tag main event at November 2 Remember 99.

-Rhino vs Super Crazy at Living Dangerously 2000.

-Booker T vs Nash ar Fall Brawl 2000.

-Goldberg vs Kronik at Halloween Havoc 2000.

-The four-way title match at WCW Sin.

If the WWE's done any really short title matches in the 21st century, I just can't remember them. And I'm sure TNA has done a whole bunch of sub-ten-minute mains, but I am NOT gonna waste my time looking up all that shit.

With Lawler getting $1000 for every minute he could last, I think stalling was absolutely the right psychology there.

Of course. That's why it's a *fun little gimmick match*. It doesn't take a genius to work that gimmick either, but it's well done, and Lawler is quite funny getting money in his pocket by running away. But that's a not a great match, nor even a great angle or TV segment. Fun little gimmick match is perfectly okay though, nothing wrong with loving that.

I don't understand the hype either. It's more of a vignette than a match. It's pretty silly & goofy, slightly amusing, but I never "get" Lawler and never understand what people love about his stuff so obviously I'm missing something.

There is a Lawler RAW match vs Goldust that's as average as average can be, completely forgettable, and people rave about it like it's something incredible. So what do I know?

I know the feeling. And I'm a Lawler fan (not überfan in that I don't consider him to be that great miracle GOAT candidate worker). But he's not without flaws (although that's not what this particular clip is about, he's absolutely fine there to me). But I mean, do you really want me to explain why it was stupid as shit to have Lawler play hide-and-seek-the-chain in the Kerry Von Erich CAGE match ? ;)