Pro Wrestling Only

Great <10 minute matches

cheapshot

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some that I don't think have been mentioned yet (though I'm probably and they have):

Rockers v Powers of Pain (MSG, 1/15/90) (I think this is dead on ten minutes long. I've been saying it's maybe my favourite 10-minutes-or-less match ever for the last six years, anyway)

Arn Anderson & Barry Windham v Doom (WCW Starrcade, 12/16/90)

Stan Hansen & Ted DiBiase v Genichiro Tenryu & Jumbo Tsuruta (All Japan, 12/12/86)

Rock 'n' Roll Express v The Guerreros (Mid-South, 2/13/85)

Daisuke Ikeda v Yuki Ishikawa (Battlarts, 8/4/96)

Eddy Guerrero & Chris Jericho v The Faces of Fear (WCW Nitro, 2/24/97)

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Cage/Jack Evans from PWG: BoLA '15 - Day 3 is a definite contender for this category. The absolute best Cage has ever looked, and the one time I truly believed in him as a world destroying monster. He left all his flying bullshit in the back and just beat the fuck out of Evans with Suplexes, Throws, and Bombs. Evans did his part by bumping like a madman and really selling that he was dead versus Cage from the moment the bell rang. The ending works like aces because of their positioning. Great stuff really, and it's under five minutes long to boot.

• 1 year later...

I can see a lot of reasons why someone would rate Goldberg/Lesnar and rate it well.

If someone rates matches based on the overall effectiveness, Goldberg/Lesnar should do well because it was really effective and accomplished what it set out to accomplish. If you break it down to a more granular level, there is plenty to praise. Goldberg’s offense – both spears and the Jackhammer – looked really, really good. The timing was spot on in the sense that they captured the feeling of a wrestler/fighter getting caught unexpectedly before he could get untracked. The story that the announcers put over (Goldberg taking Brock lightly) was captured in the ring work. The part of the story they didn’t harp on (that Goldberg made a career out of making short work of opponents) was also a strong one and reflected in the ring work. Brock’s selling was fantastic (some of the best I’ve seen all year from anywhere). The way he sold not only made the brief run time feel “right” but also put over Goldberg huge.The match had heat and the finish got a bigtime reaction. None of those things were givens and should be viewed as positives in the match’s favor.

There was a full match in there – major offense, great selling, crowd heat, a story, ect. – it was just contained to 90 seconds. Why can’t you rate a match like that?

• 2 years later...