Pro Wrestling Only

Little Known Facts, Speculations, Scandals and Wrestling Trivia

Fantastic

Was discussing such things with a friend the other day. I thought it might be cool to cover some of these things here. Sources optional, but obviously welcome. Here's a couple of the top of my head that we discussed.

- John Cena (during a time when he was on a break with his now ex-wife) had a relationship with Mickie James, who was dating/engaged to Kenny Dykstra at the time. It seemed to create a behind-the-scenes shit storm. Although not directly related to the affair, both Dykstra and James were eventually released from their contracts, Cena and James ended their relationship (although James may have been reluctant to do so) and "The Champ" went on to marry his high school sweetheart a few months later (now divorced).

- In 1995, Kensuke Sasaki, whilst working with students in the NJPW Dojo, singled out a student he felt wasn't "working hard enough". He proceeded to rough him up badly, stiff shots, lots of suplexes, you name it. The student ended up dying and no charges were ever brought against Sasaki or NJPW. Sasaki who rarely commented on it, was always adamant that it was "just one of those things" and never had any regrets about it. Still... Sasaki's later attitude about rookies (him starting the Diamond Wing developemental promotion), not to mention taking Nakajima under his wing and making him a surrogate son, may have been influenced by this earlier incident.

Anybody got any more?

- In 1995, Kensuke Sasaki, whilst working with students in the NJPW Dojo, singled out a student he felt wasn't "working hard enough". He proceeded to rough him up badly, stiff shots, lots of suplexes, you name it. The student ended up dying and no charges were ever brought against Sasaki or NJPW. Sasaki who rarely commented on it, was always adamant that it was "just one of those things" and never had any regrets about it. Still... Sasaki's later attitude about rookies (him starting the Diamond Wing developemental promotion), not to mention taking Nakajima under his wing and making him a surrogate son, may have been influenced by this earlier incident.

Yeah, you can interpret the whole Sasaki Promotion two different ways : he felt guilty inside and found a way to redeem himself by taking care of young prospect and giving back to pro-wrestling. Or it was a way to make people forget about the incident (light word when we're talking about an actual death) and paint himself under a very favorable light (great family guy and such). To this day I have no idea.

Yeah, you can interpret the whole Sasaki Promotion two different ways : he felt guilty inside and found a way to redeem himself by taking care of young prospect and giving back to pro-wrestling. Or it was a way to make people forget about the incident (light word when we're talking about an actual death) and paint himself under a very favorable light (great family guy and such). To this day I have no idea.

Agree. The idealist in me likes to think that Sasaki does personally regret the incident, and has turned things around for the better. Of course, it's also entirely possible that he regrets absolutely nothing and has done the family/mentor thing as (like you say) means to present himself in a favorable light and not to have the incident tarnish his legacy in Puro. It really wouldn't be the first time a major name in an entertainment brand has taken such measures... Nor is it the first (nor will it be the last) that somebody does it in wrestling. Couple more:

- Vince McMahon (via a Playboy interview) admitted to cheating on Linda numerous times. It's been heavily suggested that this practice probably continues to this day via dirtsheets, talk from the boys, and Vince's ego in general.

- When Kawada was on his excursion to the USA and Canada in his rookie days, it seems the guys at Stampede and TASW abused him regularly because of his race. Some have even suggested that he was a victim of sexual hazing. It's never been confirmed by Kawada himself, but he has mentioned it being a dark page of his life, and refuses to talk about it in detail in any interviews. Kawada wasn't the only one, it seemed to be a pattern in the 80's, that foreign workers were subject to racially motivated abuse.

Not little known as it was widely reported at the time, but it rarely gets mentioned these days:

In October 2000, during a WCW tour of Australia, Guerrera was arrested at the hotel in which the wrestlers were staying, after an incident in which he was discovered naked and screaming in a hallway, and then attacking police officers who had arrived to detain him. According to the 2004 book The Death of WCW, Guerrera was reportedly under the influence of PCP at the time. Guerrera was expelled from the remainder of the tour and later released by WCW, and was ordered to pay nearly $1,800 in fines.

That's from Wiki, I believe he also struck a female officer. Rey Mysterio stated it was like witnessing somebody have an outer body experience.

For those who don't know what Johnny Sorrow is referring to, DVDVR had a thread about ten years ago where people dished dirt on wrestlers (probably some truth, but mostly fabrication I think). It drew tons of attention and DVDVR got a lot of new members out of it, but it also seemed to mark the beginning of a decline for the board.

I think this thread could be fun if it switched more to stuff like people who secretly are great at playing Backgammon or can sew or collect things or odd wrestler facts like that.

Along those lines, then:

In an interview with PowerSlam, William Regal stated that one of the reasons that he's good friends with Randy Orton is that both share a passion for keeping lizards as pets.

- My only contribution to this is the story from Terry Funk's book about Dory having a really gnarled and mis-shapen penis because he was stung on it as a kid by a bee. He tells of a time where Dory Jr. got in trouble for something on the ranch, where of course Dory Sr. had a lot of orphan and disadvantaged kids staying (inclunding Dick Murdoch), and their father made Dory Jr. strip off in front of everyone to show his weird gnarled little cock. Anyway, that's one story that really stuck with me from that book and being just bizarre.

I guess I'll go the trivia route.

Killer Khan is an enka (Japanese traditional music) singer and even today he gets several bookings a month to sing in restaurants or theme bars in Asakusa (Tokyo's most popular traditional district). 35 years ago in Mexico he was known for his marvelous voice and would entertain himself singing backstage or during road trips.

I didn't post this thread with the intention of sleaze only!

But, some trivia, I don't have a WON at the moment, but I'm sure somebody can find the relevant issue.

- A top WWE superstar (who isn't John Cena) is known to go to a local Children's hospice every year (in their own time) with thousands of dollars of toys (that they've purchased with their own money) and donate them with zero publicity. Some have speculated the person in question is Daniel Bryan, but the way Dave worded it, it's somebody we wouldn't suspect.

Killer Khan is an enka (Japanese traditional music) singer and even today he gets several bookings a month to sing in restaurants or theme bars in Asakusa (Tokyo's most popular traditional district). 35 years ago in Mexico he was known for his marvelous voice and would entertain himself singing backstage or during road trips.

Does he Mongolian chop anyone?

Well if you look at my avatar he's putting the claw on me, but I'm not homeless and I didn't have wine, so I guess he didn't chop me.

- My only contribution to this is the story from Terry Funk's book about Dory having a really gnarled and mis-shapen penis because he was stung on it as a kid by a bee. He tells of a time where Dory Jr. got in trouble for something on the ranch, where of course Dory Sr. had a lot of orphan and disadvantaged kids staying (inclunding Dick Murdoch), and their father made Dory Jr. strip off in front of everyone to show his weird gnarled little cock. Anyway, that's one story that really stuck with me from that book and being just bizarre.

Whaaaaat? I don't remember that at all! I gotta go back and check that out.

I misremembered it slightly, here's a quotation in full straight from the book:

Dory Junior had a few scrapes at the ranch, too. My brother was on a woodpile once, just playing, and there was also a beehive near the pile. I don't know if he touched the hive or what happened, but those bees went crazy after him. He had bees buzzing all around him, stinging him, and one even made it up his pants and stung him 13 times on the end of his pecker!

Well, naturally his pecker swelled up and looked like a gnarled tree limb. Now, my parents used to have the Boys' Ranch teachers up to the house in the morning for coffee. Dad's favorite deal became to show his boy's disfigured pecker to everyone who came by the house in the morning.

"Junior", he'd yell, "come here!"

My brother would come into the room, and my dad would say, "Show 'em where the bee bit you!"

"Dad, I don't want to show them!"

"Dammit, show them where the bee got you, boy!"

So Junior would unzip his pants and pull out this knotty, horrible-looking thing that used to be his little pecker, and those women would scream in horror! I'm surprised Junior didn't end up with a lifelong complex about bees because of that.

Well if you look at my avatar he's putting the claw on me, but I'm not homeless and I didn't have wine, so I guess he didn't chop me.

That is so goddamn awesome. Even his hand isn't big enough to mask that smile.