Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Phil Schneider

[1987-02-06-Houston Wrestling] Steve Williams vs Terry Gordy (Texas Death)

This was always one of the legendary wrestling magazine match ups when I was a kid. Just two big beasts beating on each other, and it always looked like the best thing. I loved this feud on the Mid-South set, and it is so great to see another chapter show up. This was a Texas Death Match, and man have we gotten some awesome Texas Death Matches in Texas from NWA Classics. Starts out with a pair of big dogs throwing hambones, Gordy's punches look great, although Williams didn't keep his wrists straight so they looked a little weak. My only complaint though, everything else about this was boss. Both guys bleed a ton, Gordy breaks out his all time great piledriver and Williams throws out the stampede. So great, worth a months order on its own

This match is tremendous. I would rank this feud as the greatest feuds of the 80's that no one talks about enough. These guys are throwing bombs at one another. All the finishes to the falls are believable. At 1st both guys are trying their damndest to win this. Eventually the hatred comes in and thsese guys just want to mane one another. Doc is the 1st to bleed. A few minutes later Gordy tops him and is a bloody mess. Both guys are just ripping into one another. Their's blood on the camera lens. THIS IS A BAD ASS HOSS FIGHT. I like NJPW, but comparing this to the last Ishii/Makabe match is laughable. This is so much better. On a sidenote I was at this match as a kid. The finish even worked for me. It's a little cute, but works. 4 1/4*

I was lucky to have parents who were willing to drive and drop my brother and I off as kids. The SHC crowd always had a more dangerous vibe compared to the Summit. I wish when I lived in St. Louis I would have understood how to get tickets.