Pro Wrestling Only

Things in WWE you want to see more of?

cheapshot

WWE can be good, sometimes great and now and again marvelous.

What are some of the things that they do from time to time, that you enjoy and want to see more of?

I'll start:

More character profiles ala. what was done with Apollo Crews and Finn Balor on this weeks NXT TV. Those profiles made me more interested in both the performers, it explained their motivations are and stopped them just being one dimensional.

Second the character profiling. They can create cracking docu's in a heartbeat and yet they struggle to get us to invest in characters on Raw

I'd like to see them trying things with Bo Dallas & Heath Slater

More people with creative freedom in their promos. Doesn't have to be everybody but an Owens, doesn't need a script at all

New Day on commentary

World title changes in a year (that aren't related to Money in the Bank)

Short backstage promos. Not in-ring monologues where the crowd chants "What?" the whole time. Especially for characters like Bray Wyatt.

Wrestlers being able to win a match with multiple different moves, not just always a finish or a roll-up. Where is the intrigue in a pinfall attempt something like a powerslam when the wrestler has never beaten anyone, not even a jobber with it. Those pinfall attempts are just a waste of time. I mean, if the commentators were trying to get over that the wrestler being pinned has to exert energy just to kickout & that the wrestler on the offense is just wearing them down, that would be one thing... but that's not what happens. It's more like hit a move, pin, commentators ignore it... and then they keep going. Hell, WWE has even went to commercial break during a pinfall attempt before. That's how far down the rabbit hole we are now. If the pinfall doesn't matter... don't do it. Simple, no?

Not ignoring history would be nice. It's annoying when a heel turns babyface & then all is forgiven for the acts he did before as a bad guy. At least show a little apology segment or something, anything. Instead of just slapping them out there teaming with the guys that he had a blood feud with.

Hmm. I'm realize now that I'm answering this thread the same way as the last one, with a negative tone. Let's try a different approach.

- More video packages & hype videos. WWE is great at them.

- Shocking returns that make the crowd go crazy. Always fun.

- Larger than life entrances & PPV sets. Makes the shows feel special & memorable.

- More original content for WWE Network featuring Legends just shooting the shit. Bring back Legends of Wrestling Roundtable discussion.

- Tag teams that have a tag team name & tag team finish. It's generic to me when it's just two people teaming together, like Edge & Christian.

I'd love to see more jobber matchs. Or specifically, more matches where the main event guys are up against the lower card guys like Slater, Ryder, et al. We very rarely get guys interacting with others outside of their level. I'd rather see Orton go 6 minutes with a guy like Adam Rose than 12 with Sheamus for the 20th time in a month.

I'd also like to see more tag team fueds that don't involve the title. I can't remember the last time a pair of regular tag teams had a PPV match that wasn't for the title. Shield vs Wyatts is more of a stable fued than a tag fued. Having the Prime Time Players have a PPV match against The Ascension would give the division more credibility.

On the above point, you can point to how postively received the Owens vs Sin Cara and vs Kalisto matches were, as opposed to facing Cesaro or Ryback again. They just felt fresher. You've got lower-carders who can actually go doing nothing, there's no reason why we can't get 6 minute a ADR vs Fandango, or Owens vs Sandow, which would feel so much more interesting.

On the above point, you can point to how postively received the Owens vs Sin Cara and vs Kalisto matches were, as opposed to facing Cesaro or Ryback again. They just felt fresher. You've got lower-carders who can actually go doing nothing, there's no reason why we can't get 6 minute a ADR vs Fandango, or Owens vs Sandow, which would feel so much more interesting.

this is a great point. I don't think they need to have traditional jobbers, but they have all these lower-card talents who can really work being wasted. let them be your jobbers. they can have more competitive matches than a squash but still lose on the regular to the mid-card and up guys in shorter TV matches and chances are everyone comes out of it looking good.

my least favorite internet message board trope is the guy who drops into a thread for no other reason than to tell everyone he doesn't care about the topic.

It's not that I don't care about the topic. If I had to make a list, I would probabIy agree with what Coffey said. But my point is I don't care about what WWE puts or their TV show anymore, and have zero confidence they will make it better (from my perspective). It's a reflection of the failure on their part to get me back, despite some stuff I really enjoyed this past year (Rusev, the heel New Day etc…). Like I said, it's been fun for a while, but...

Spontaneity

Secondary finishers. I know a lot of people hate the constant kickouts, but they could be used better. Have a move that you finish the occasional TV match with, so going into a big match it is a credible pinfall. Orton's rope hung DDT should get a pinfall from time to time. Roman Reigns should finish his matches with either the Superman Punch or the Spear. Him using them in combination just makes them look weaker as individual moves. When a big match comes along and his opponent kicks out of one, he could finish him with the other.

Death finishers. You know how sometimes Cena hits the AA from the top rope? No one should ever kick out of that. Same with Rollins' Phoenix Splash or if Owens ever hits a Package Piledriver.

Every NXT call up should get an introductory video feature. We only get them for a few people, but shouldn't they treat every new person like they're special? Why not help everyone get over?

More matches for the sake of matches. OK, so we've seen Orton vs. Sheamus 184,984,984,651,651,899 times, because they wrestle on every show. Why isn't Sheamus having a 5-10 minute showcase match against R-Truth or Damien Sandow? Those guys are good enough workers, over enough with the fans, and aren't doing shit else. Use them to break up the monotony at the top of the card. People are always talking about how they need squash matches, but there are at least 15 people on the roster who should be jobbers to the stars. Those matches should be competitive, but there purely to make the guys at the top of the card look strong. Seriously, why are you paying people who are never on television?

Problem with "death" finishers is that, like Jingus alluded to several times, if someone has a move that is a "death" finish, what stops them from busting it out as soon as the bell rings? I do think they need to protect their finishers better (less epic your finisher then my finisher sequences) but I think you can go a long way in establishing those regular finishers as "death" finishes if they were allowed to win matches using lesser moves. If you can lose to a Five Knuckle Shuffle then naturally logic follows that the Attitude Adjustment would be of a higher caliber and thus near death finisher level.

Problem with "death" finishers is that, like Jingus alluded to several times, if someone has a move that is a "death" finish, what stops them from busting it out as soon as the bell rings? I do think they need to protect their finishers better (less epic your finisher then my finisher sequences) but I think you can go a long way in establishing those regular finishers as "death" finishes if they were allowed to win matches using lesser moves. If you can lose to a Five Knuckle Shuffle then naturally logic follows that the Attitude Adjustment would be of a higher caliber and thus near death finisher level.

I think the counter to that is that the most death finishers bring with them a great a deal of risk for the man delivering the move, so it's usually only something you'd want to bring out in moments of desperation and real need. Plus, in the case of something like Cena's super AA, it's not a move he could expect to deliver in the opening moments of a match. He really need to get his opponent worn down enough where he can get him up top and set up the move, because it takes time. And if the guy is any position to fight out of it, Cena himself is in a vulnerable position.

I think that's one area where having somebody like Neville using the Red Arrow all the time, even in sub 3-minute matches, is deterimental to the product as a whole. They book it because it's his signature move and they fear the fans would be cheated if they didn't see it, but the way he himself preps for delivery with a great deal of visible trepidation puts the move over as risky and dangerous. He knows if the opponent moves he's more or lessed doomed. So having him hit it mere minutes into a match is counter-productive, because no opponent should be THAT dazed that they'd just lay there and take that move at that point. At least not with the offensive arsenal that Neville has at his disposal up to that point.

I think the counter to that is that the most death finishers bring with them a great a deal of risk for the man delivering the move, so it's usually only something you'd want to bring out in moments of desperation and real need. Plus, in the case of something like Cena's super AA, it's not a move he could expect to deliver in the opening moments of a match. He really need to get his opponent worn down enough where he can get him up top and set up the move, because it takes time. And if the guy is any position to fight out of it, Cena himself is in a vulnerable position.

I think that's one area where having somebody like Neville using the Red Arrow all the time, even in sub 3-minute matches, is deterimental to the product as a whole. They book it because it's his signature move and they fear the fans would be cheated if they didn't see it, but the way he himself preps for delivery with a great deal of visible trepidation puts the move over as risky and dangerous. He knows if the opponent moves he's more or lessed doomed. So having him hit it mere minutes into a match is counter-productive, because no opponent should be THAT dazed that they'd just lay there and take that move at that point. At least not with the offensive arsenal that Neville has at his disposal up to that point.

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking. The psychology behind the death finishers would stem from a sense of all or nothing. It is a Hail Mary pass, you don't throw it unless you have no other choice.

Secondary finishers. I know a lot of people hate the constant kickouts, but they could be used better. Have a move that you finish the occasional TV match with, so going into a big match it is a credible pinfall. Orton's rope hung DDT should get a pinfall from time to time. Roman Reigns should finish his matches with either the Superman Punch or the Spear. Him using them in combination just makes them look weaker as individual moves. When a big match comes along and his opponent kicks out of one, he could finish him with the other.

Agree with much of what is said but wanted to highlight the point about secondary finishers. Last week it seemed like a waste to have Kofi kick out of the sit out power bomb by Reigns. The match had built to a climax and this would have been a perfectly viable finish and made Reigns even more dangerous.

Psychology-based offense. Doing a bombfest sprint of high impact stuff should be a treat to show either familiarity, endurance, or desperation and not the norm. This is true of most modern wrestling but it's only gotten worse since WWE switched to that style a few years ago. I remember a Noble/Kidman match where Noble worked over Kidman's arm just to weaken it enough to be able to prevent escape from the Tiger Driver. Why the hell does Cena not attack the leg before the STF? Why does it seem so rare for somebody to go after Ryback's legs to gain an advantage?

Seconding the love for hype videos and character profiles. The blizzard that ruined the Raw plans back in March heading into WM31 forced them to have a sit down face to face interview between Brock and Roman and it instantly made the match feel more worthwhile.

Psychology-based offense. Doing a bombfest sprint of high impact stuff should be a treat to show either familiarity, endurance, or desperation and not the norm. This is true of most modern wrestling but it's only gotten worse since WWE switched to that style a few years ago. I remember a Noble/Kidman match where Noble worked over Kidman's arm just to weaken it enough to be able to prevent escape from the Tiger Driver. Why the hell does Cena not attack the leg before the STF? Why does it seem so rare for somebody to go after Ryback's legs to gain an advantage?

Seconding the love for hype videos and character profiles. The blizzard that ruined the Raw plans back in March heading into WM31 forced them to have a sit down face to face interview between Brock and Roman and it instantly made the match feel more worthwhile.

Those hype videos is probably what they do the best as a company. You can watch a PPV, and understand every angle from their television based on the hype videos. That is the exact wrong way to use them. Those videos are fine, but if they spent 10% of that energy getting their characters over, we'd probably be more invested in the product. How much of Raw is just replays from the previous week, or even the previous segment. We don't need constant recaps on every show. Put stuff like that on the pre-show and reward the people who watch every the TV every week. Give us a reason to tune in, because we think we're going to miss out on something if we don't. I think my biggest problem with the product these days is that absolutely nothing feels special. I didn't watch last night because of this, and didn't see the Survivor Series match. I'm pissed I missed it. More stuff like that would make me actually put it higher on my DVR queue so I don't miss out.