Pro Wrestling Only

UFC is a Solid Heel Territory Right Now

Cap

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chael is next. I was not as surprised as I thought I would be when I read Fedor had won. Chael is going to be gold in the build to this. I'll be disappointed if Chael doesn't fail a drugs test at some point.

Chael > Conor. Conor was an interesting promo on his way up before settling into the Money McGregor character.

The Chael/Anderson Silva feud is definitely one of the greatest in UFC history and it only happened because of Chael talking his way into it. You couldn't script that first fight to go any more perfectly than it did. It's also way easier for someone like Conor to do that nowadays than it was back then (as evidenced by him getting the Mayweather fight).

I remember seeing Fedor fight Brett Rogers in Strikeforce. Rogers had some steam at the time and was being hyped as a big deal.. Fedor was getting caught in that fight and I had a feeling he was fading. It's sad he's still going after all these years after that disastrous US run. I can't see Mir losing. I have no idea if either man is on that Wumpa Juice. Is Bellator testing?

Fedor was starting to decline in that Rogers fight and was turning into more of a brawler instead of relying on his grappling like he did before in PRIDE.

Chael is next. I was not as surprised as I thought I would be when I read Fedor had won. Chael is going to be gold in the build to this. I'll be disappointed if Chael doesn't fail a drugs test at some point.

Chael > Conor. Conor was an interesting promo on his way up before settling into the Money McGregor character.

Yeah, I'm not sure how Chael will do due to the size difference.

I agree, Chael's trash talking was more pro-wres oriented, meanwhile Conor is just endlessly bragging he has money and his opponents are poor which gets boring/old fast.

Arlovski and Sylvia were flawed as fuck, but let's not pretend that Arlovski wasn't on a five-fight winning streak, including leaving the UFC on a three fight winning streak when he fought Fedor in Affliction. He was clearly, at worst, a top 5 ranked heavyweight at the time. Sylvia was always flawed and chinny, but Sylvia was literally one fight removed from fighting for the UFC interim heavyweight title when he fought Fedor. Then Fedor was going to fight Josh Barnett, who was was probably the most accomplished contender at the time, in any organization, before Barnett failed the drug test. Fedor's Affliction run was pretty legit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Colby Covington needs to sound a little smarter.. but he is pretty hated right now. I heard Maia said it's all an act and Colby was actually really nice to him on the quiet. I was hoping he would win. Especially over the loved Dos Anjos. I want to see a world where Colby defeats Tyron Woodley. That would be fucking hilarious.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I don't follow UFC, but based on the little bit of news coming out of Saturday night, sounds like some real shit went down.

Can someone clue me in what *really* happened? Like, why would the guy who won the fight then attack his opponent's coach? And then for his goons to come into the octagon and sucker punch McGregor too? Any chance this whole thing was a work? 

I'm just super curious because this seems like a pro-wrestling angle where the evil heel Russian defeated the babyface (only McGregor is not really what I'd call a babyface before this), but in order to build up to a rematch and make McGregor a sympathetic figure with a reason to get a rematch, they had to have the Russians and his crew attack a defenseless coach (a Jose Lothario in 96' figure?) and then have his henchmen prevent McGregor from making the save with a sneak attack. 

Is UFC about to have its for "unsanctioned" match or what?

Khabib is a dude who grew up in a violent war torn part of Russia and is friends with a brutal dictator. Conor's usual pre fight banter included taking shots at Khabib's father (implying he was involved in 9/11) and comments about religion. Not that this justifies his actions, because they don't, but Khabib is not the guy you say that kind of shit about and expect it to be all sunshine and rainbows afterwards. Apparently Conor's coach was talking shit the entire fight at Khabib, and by the end he had it. 

Also it's kind of been forgotten that the whole "Conor attacks a bus with a dolley" fiasco was him trying (or acting like he was trying) to get to Khabib and his crew. There was zero consequence from UFC for that despite several fighters getting injured from broken glass and an entire PPV getting fucked up, and they used footage of it to promote this show. 

UFC basically is reaping what it sows here. They constantly allow their draws to act like children with little to no consequence, then you get stuff like this when one of them tries to talk shit on a guy you Don't Fuck Around With. Conor's the asshole at the bar who talks shit and tries to fight the whole world. Khabib's the dude who just makes a phone call and mf'ers disappear. Dana should be happy that all we got as a pull apart brawl, as it could have been a whole lot uglier.

Of course this is going to result in them throwing the book at Khabib (which they should) and Conor skating consequence free once again despite him being the reason all this happened in the first place. 

...and now they are rushing to book Cormier vs Derrick Lewis at MSG despite DC having a broken hand and Lewis getting his ass beat for 3 rounds before pulling out the KO win. The new owners are so desparate to get PPV buys to pay their loans off, concern about fighters' health goes out the window.  These guys are making WWE look like caring employees by comparison. At least WWE tries not to kill their folks. 

Cormier got a broken finger against Miocic 3 months ago, obviously it varies how quickly people heal but he should be good. he's still gonna get a 3 week training camp though. the rumour i read was that he took this in exchange for the UFC not stripping Nurmagomedov.

Lewis definitely shouldn't fight, but this is his big payday. This is on par with Bisping fighting 3 weeks after losing to GSP, which was horrible. You could still be suffering symptoms from a concussion on that timeframe.

14 hours ago, sek69 said:

...and now they are rushing to book Cormier vs Derrick Lewis at MSG despite DC having a broken hand and Lewis getting his ass beat for 3 rounds before pulling out the KO win. The new owners are so desparate to get PPV buys to pay their loans off, concern about fighters' health goes out the window.  These guys are making WWE look like caring employees by comparison. At least WWE tries not to kill their folks. 

I'm shocked because they announced that and sometimes you don't even get the news on medical suspensions right away. He doesn't even have the time for a true camp. It's beyond stupid and shows a total disregard for the guys safety. 

• 3 weeks later...

Khabib is an interesting fellow. He is something mythical at the minute.. but the mocking of the homeless man video ruins him for me.

Conor was fun on his way up, but like a lot of fighters, he fell into the Money persona pit.

I have followed this sport long enough to remember the Mayweather-De La Hoya fight and how MMA fans mercilessly mocked Boxing for being a dying sport with way too much politics, bum fights, what not.. funny how a few years has changed things. Kenny Florian probably still thinks the sport is dying, despite the recent absurd flow of cash into boxing.

• 2 months later...

Wasn't sure where to post this (and still not entirely sure this is a good spot), but I wanted to ask if anyone has seen the excellent UFC: 25 Years in Short series? I'm a little more than halfway through them, and they've almost all been awesome.

It's basically 30 For 30, but it's 25 videos under 25 minutes. They cover such a wide range of topics, events, and moments from UFC history.

The debate over who originally designed the Octagon is tremendous. Some of those early ideas (torches, mounted guards on horseback, electric fencing, etc.) are LOLTNA Russo-levels of awful.

Never realized Eric Bischoff was the conduit for Art Davie to move from medals to championship belts, so that was pretty cool. I've been following since the Zuffa boom, but I love learning more about those early days.

Dean Malenko being the guy to introduce Ken to Pancrase *sounds like* something I've heard before, but I don't know for sure. I definitely knew he did some training with the Malenkos, but it's always neat to hear more about those ties between MMA and pro wrestling.

Man, it was awesome seeing highlights of those old PRIDE fights. What a time. Those extravagant entrances are everything wrestling has only started doing right in the last decade or so.

That Matt Hughes piece was rough though. It took me on a total rollercoaster in terms of emotions. I was half-hot at them for dragging the poor guy back to the sight of the train wreck. That felt cruel & cold as fuck to me. I get seeking closure and bringing things full circle, but I don't know. It just seemed in poor taste.

Won't lie though. I got choked up seeing Hughes get the big introduction in front of everyone last January. That was awesome for him. Watching that episode one day after seeing the Nigel doc may not have been the wisest move though. Heart-wrenching stuff.