Pro Wrestling Only

UFC is a Solid Heel Territory Right Now

Cap

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very concussed Henry Corrales cut the promo of the year ten minutes later:

“At my best I’ve lived a mediocre life and I’m ready to die in this motherfucker. You know what dude? What’s done is done. Respect to Pico and all his people, but who the fuck is next? That’s five straight. I got my shit together in the desert. I’ll go with any of these dudes it doesn’t matter.”

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 4:39 PM, SomethingSavage said:

Wasn't sure where to post this (and still not entirely sure this is a good spot), but I wanted to ask if anyone has seen the excellent UFC: 25 Years in Short series? I'm a little more than halfway through them, and they've almost all been awesome.

It's basically 30 For 30, but it's 25 videos under 25 minutes. They cover such a wide range of topics, events, and moments from UFC history.

The debate over who originally designed the Octagon is tremendous. Some of those early ideas (torches, mounted guards on horseback, electric fencing, etc.) are LOLTNA Russo-levels of awful.

Never realized Eric Bischoff was the conduit for Art Davie to move from medals to championship belts, so that was pretty cool. I've been following since the Zuffa boom, but I love learning more about those early days.

Dean Malenko being the guy to introduce Ken to Pancrase *sounds like* something I've heard before, but I don't know for sure. I definitely knew he did some training with the Malenkos, but it's always neat to hear more about those ties between MMA and pro wrestling.

Man, it was awesome seeing highlights of those old PRIDE fights. What a time. Those extravagant entrances are everything wrestling has only started doing right in the last decade or so.

That Matt Hughes piece was rough though. It took me on a total rollercoaster in terms of emotions. I was half-hot at them for dragging the poor guy back to the sight of the train wreck. That felt cruel & cold as fuck to me. I get seeking closure and bringing things full circle, but I don't know. It just seemed in poor taste.

Won't lie though. I got choked up seeing Hughes get the big introduction in front of everyone last January. That was awesome for him. Watching that episode one day after seeing the Nigel doc may not have been the wisest move though. Heart-wrenching stuff.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:47 PM, SomethingSavage said:

The "Bad Blood, Good Business" episode toward the end of the series is tremendous. When people have called UFC the new pro wrestling over the last decade+, this is what they mean.

Quoting myself feels weird af, but just bumping all this to say UFC has posted this series (as well as their first full show and a whole bunch of other fights) for free over on their YouTube channel.

There's basically hours of content to revisit or even watch for the first time if anyone's interested. Those ESPN shorts are definitely worth scoping out though.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Unreal performance by Holloway at the weekend. When was the last time a face was booked to look that good anywhere 

He may have started that fight at the babyface, but I'm not sure he still was at the end.

That other kid took a savage beating, never quit trying, and showed a ton of heart.

At the end Holloway was mean mugging, and flexing and shit cause he knew he was going to win, and while it happens all the time, it just seems like poor sportsmanship to me. Good for you, kicking the shit out of a clearly overmatched opponent. Celebrate when the fight is over.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of it. Like I get breaking all these striking records in that fight but wouldn't it mean more if he actually knocked the dude out instead of going to decision? Shows how much heart that kid had though for sure. 

I honestly haven't kept up with the sport in years. So it's hard for me to get excited about any fight anymore and stuff like that doesn't really help anything especially with no crowd. 

Yeah, big disagree for me on the last two posts about Holloway's mid-fight boasting. I would rather a guy talk shit in the middle of a fight instead of talking shit after a fight. Plus, what Holloway was doing was in response to stuff Kattar did before the fight. Kattar's trash talk was mild, for sure, but it I'm guessing Holloway used it as bulletin board material. Apparently Kattar implied or explicitly stated that his boxing was better than Holloway's, thus the stuff Holloway yelled about being the best boxer in the UFC. Holloway also yelled something about being a freshman or something, which was in response to Kattar saying that he (Kattar) was a senior and Holloway was freshman, I'm guessing the implication there is the size difference and that Kattar was going to bully Holloway in the ring. I'm also guessing the stuff Holloway directed to the commentary team was because of Holloway's relationship with Daniel Cormier, who Holloway always joking calls out during interviews. Plus, it seems like Holloway was totally in the zone. As far as mid or post-fight boasting goes, this was pretty tame stuff. Seems similar to when Khabib talks shit to people when he's on top of them ruining their nights. 

It doesn't really matter though, you don't have to like Max Holloway. My post made me feel like a New Japan fan explaining why the callbacks in their six-star classics make their six-star classics the six-star classics they are.