Pro Wrestling Only

JvK's Six-Factor Model for GWE rankings [BIGLAV]

JerryvonKramer

Jerry Blackwell

Basic (offense, selling, psychology) 1/3 2/3 2/3 (+1 pinballing as a big man) = 6

Intangibles 4

Great matches 3

Length of Peak 80-87 = 7 years = 5

+1 ability to work babyface

+1 ability to work tags

+1 ability to work gimmick matches

+3 ability to get over in multiple markets (WWF, AWA, Memphis, JCP, Japan)

Ability to work different styles / roles = 6

1. King Tonga / Sheik Adnan Kaissey 2. Greg Gagne / Jim Brunzell, 3. The Crusher, 4. Ken Patera, 5. Stan Hansen, 6. Mad Dog Vachon, 7. Col. Debeers, 8. Billy Robinson, 9. Jerry Lawler, 10. Masked Superstar, 11. Dory Funk Jr, 12. Terry Funk

Variety = 12 opponents = 6

Rick Martel

Basic (offense, selling, psychology) 3/3 3/3 3/3 (+1 giving 100% in everything he does) = 10

Intangibles 4

Great matches 7

Length of Peak 80-87 = 7 years = 5

+1 ability to work heel

+1 ability to work tags

+3 ability to get over in multiple markets (WWF, AWA, WCW, Japan)

Ability to work different styles / roles = 5

1. Buddy Rose, 2. Fuji / Saito, 3. Brunzell / Gagne, 4. Nick Bockwinkel, 5. Harley Race, 6. Ric Flair, 7. Stan Hansen, 8. Terry Funk, 9. Jumbo Tsuruta, 10. The Islanders, 11. Moondogs, 12. The Hangman, 13. Tito Santana, 14. Terry Gordy, 15. Boris Zuhkov, 16. Jimmy Garvin, 17. Shawn Michaels, 18. Razor Ramon, 19. Randy Savage, 20. Lex Luger

Variety = 20 opponents = 10

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misawa

Basic (offense, selling, psychology) 3/3 3/3 3/3 +1 (for innovation) = 10

Intangibles 6

Great matches 10

Length of Peak 8 (90-04)

+1 ability to work as junior

+1 ability to work a different gimmick (Tiger Mask II)

+1 ability to carry a promotion / work as ace

+1 ability to work tags

Ability to work different styles / roles rating = 4

1. Jumbo, 2. Kawada, 3. Kobashi, 4. Taue, 5. Hansen, 6. Gordy, 7. Akiyama, 8. Fuchi, 9. Steve Williams, 10. Johnny Ace, 11. Takayama, 12. Morishima

Variety = 12 opponents = 6

Takuma/Naoki Sano, KENTA, Marufuji, Yoshinari Ogawa and Vader should all be in here as well. If I were to stretch this to include every guy Misawa had either several very good tag matches or at least one great singles or tag match who knows how many I'd end up with.

Just looking through some of those peak years. You're not giving Michaels his 2002-10 run at all?

And Vader up to 2000 seems a bit of a stretch to me. He was a lot better in All Japan than WWF, but I'd still cut him off around '97.

Longevity of peak continues to be the most difficult and problematic category.

And there are some hard questions.

For example should Hulk Hogan really get a 0 or do we give him 81-90?

In the cases you outline, I'd be a lot more willing to cut Vader to 97 than give HBK his post-comeback years.

If I were to stretch this to include every guy Misawa had either several very good tag matches or at least one great singles or tag match who knows how many I'd end up with.

People who would fit this category:

Ohtani, Kojima, Nagata, Hashimoto, Yone, Akitoshi Saito, Takao Omori, Keiji Mutoh/Taiyo Kea, Murakami, Fujinami, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Nakamura/Goto, Hase, Kensuke Sasaki.....

So are you arguing that Misawa should be a perfect 10 in the variety category?

The threshold is about ***1/2

If one match with a given opponent at that level is enough to include them, then yes, he should be a 10.

It's 20 different opponents. The wording is "memorable" rather than ***1/2, so take that for what it is.

Interesting you have Hansen over Tenryu, Eddie and Vader for Intangibles. Any reasons? Also surprised Flair got a perfect 10 for Intangibles.

Flair is a 10 because his character work is off the charts and because he carried himself as the epitome of a champion. He's a once or twice a generation type of guy in that category in my view.

Hansen has an aura about him, especially in Japan that gives him that intangibles rating, although I could be persuaded to go down (though not up).

Eddie's intangibles might be a bit low now you mention it, but currently he's on par with guys like Ted, Shawn Michaels, and Jumbo. I could probably be persuaded to up that to a 7 or even 8. I think Eddie has the character work but not necessarily the aura.

Vader I think has the aura of a badass and appropriate character work, but I think lacks that big deal sort of vibe you get from a Rock, Choshu, Flair, or Savage. 6 is still a high rating if you consider that someone like a DiBiase, one of the all-time great heels in my view is there. And Harley Race, for many the quintessential tough guy NWA travelling champ is a 3. It's GWE, so the ratings are on the stingy side.

I'd grant you though that it's probably the category that is least measurably quantifiable and most subjective.

As you said, it is subjective, but I believe Eddie clearly had more intangibles than Shawn. The only time Shawn jumped out to me as a charismatic character was when he was playing the dickhead heel in late 1997, and even that was partly due to a knowledge of backstage events.

One little quirk of this is "when do you take the rating from"?

Like Austin's intangibles of 10, for example, is clearly based on the Stone Cold run not him in USWA, WCW or as The Ringmaster. Yet other ratings take work from those other runs into account.

In my mind, I've justified that sort of thing as "positive stuff counts towards the case", but it is a bit of a fudge if you think about it.

I think Eddie is probably a 7 for intangibles and maybe Shawn a 4 or 5?

I'm not sure if Rude is a 7. The spreadsheet will make it a lot easier for me to fiddle with scores.

My thinking on intangibles was something like:

6 - all time great character work / mannerisms / stooging etc.

7 - as above, plus electric heat

8 - as above, but also aura and star presence

9 - as above, but also makes things feel like a bigger deal

10 - transcendent charisma / X-factor

Might make it easier to help me slot guys in. Which is to say that a 6 is by no means a diss.

That would put him in the top 20, which seems bonkers considering it is my list and how much I hate him.

I'll have to make a call at some point. The thing is that intangibles is meant to be in-ring only. And I see a lot of Shawn's aura coming from the big money entrance, fireworks and hype.

Like, I don't see him doing shit like Flair screaming in pain in a leg hold, or jawing the guy in the crowd or telling some chick his hotel room number right in the middle of a cage match, let alone the aura of a champion, etc.

Or like Bruno, zero fireworks, not even entrance music, and the roof is coming off as he gears up for a comeback. Or the crowd going deathly silent when Ivan pinned him.

Take away the fireworks and I don't see Shawn being able to generate that sort of energy or heat.

See what I mean?

Flair is a 10 because his character work is off the charts and because he carried himself as the epitome of a champion. He's a once or twice a generation type of guy in that category in my view.

Fair Point

Hansen has an aura about him, especially in Japan that gives him that intangibles rating, although I could be persuaded to go down (though not up).

Vader I think has the aura of a badass and appropriate character work, but I think lacks that big deal sort of vibe you get from a Rock, Choshu, Flair, or Savage.

Honestly I thought Vader had a far greater aura than Hansen. Hansen had a sense of danger about him but Vader always had a more threatening and imposing presence, kind of like Andre. Facing him always seemed like a big deal. And probably the most impressive part was that it was like that in almost every setting (NJPW, WCW, UWFi, AJPW etc). The argument could be made it was just Vader being Vader and that doesn't really diminish the fact he had a dominating presence everywhere he went.

Hansen in AJ from about 85 on feels not just dangerous but legendary, you can almost feel the level of respect and awe from the crowd.

I've been watching Vader's 92 run in WCW with WTBBP recently and he definitely doesn't have that sort of status. I will be reviewing a pile of Vader's NJ greatest hits soon, so the rating could change. Will keep this in mind.