Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the current episode, Nakimura doing a pretty good longer in ring promo. Maybe I never noticed before, but it seems like he has a lisp on top of the accent. Normally that would be distracting, but since his whole gimmick is being a weirdo it works for him.

Also was this the NXT debut of the "YEAOH!"?

I don't usually like to be this close minded about someone in developmental, but Angelo Dawkins is truly terrible.

I mean, I've seen some barely trained women in this company. I've seen Khali. I've seen Mojo Rawley for God sakes. But I don't remember a single wrestler employed by WWE this century who is as physically unsuited to wrestling as Dawkins. He looks like doesn't know what moves are, like he hasn't spent a day in wrestling school. There are celebrities who had one match when they Guest Hosted Raw that one time who showed more physical competence for wrestling than a guy who has been training full time for three years in the best wrestling school money can buy. I don't understand.

When Aaliyah gets her push she totally needs to use that folded-over submission as a finish that nobody can figure out or escape from and we'll all just pretend this match never happened. The good thing about NXT is that can legitimately happen.

Bayley finally getting called up appears to have closed the book on what will be known as the Golden Era of women's wrestling in NXT. I am perfectly happy for them to start building it up again from scratch, testing the waters with all the next generation girls and seeing who does what, while periodically feeding one of them to Asuka as a ritual offering to the gods to ensure that the volcano doesn't erupt for another year.

(This is the benefit to putting on a consistently good show and building up this kind of goodwill in your audience - when you lose some bodies and have to go through a rebuild the people will go with you, because they know what you can deliver and trust you to do so. Compare and contrast to watching Raw, where they have a good run but one bad episode makes you think "Well, looks like they're back to their shitty selves, I can check out again.")

Revival beating down Ciampa and Ciampa doing his best Asuka impression was the best. I am on board with KENTA/Aries (did they ever wrestle?) and Roode/Jose. Shinsuke was Shinsuke. Joe's list of injuries that he conveniently forgot to mention to the doctor gives them a perfect reason to keep him off telly for a while to regroup, and Joe still looks like a badass.

TM61 are a fun enough tag team but I have the same problem with them as I have with Buddy Murphy. Someone made the "wrestling is escapism, no one wants to get browbeaten by their annoying female boss" point the other day, and my version seems to be "wrestling is escapism, I don't want to watch these larger-than-life superstars and hear bogan coming out of their mouths."

They've cancelled the Ontario NXT house show tour and added a NXT Take Over in Toronto the day before Survivor Series. Damn I hope I can get tickets to that!

If they were not thinking about hot shooting Bobby Roode into a title match before, they probably should now. Bobby Roode in Toronto would be huge. Nakamura is over really big in Toronto too, so NXT should be amazing live.

• 2 weeks later...

Alberto Del Rio Says Andrade Almas Wants To Leave WWE

Now WWE has a problem because you left a very big gap in the Latin market. What do you think the future holds for Andrade "Cien" Almas and Gran Metalik?

I talked to my good friend Manny and poor guy, he wants to come back. Unfortunately, when you go into that company you have to abide by their rules. That's just how it is. It's the nature of our business. I always put it like this. There is a problem with all the talent that goes there, it's the inability to speak the language. They have the talent but when you go work for a company like this, you have to, I say this, something my great mentor Dean Malenko would tell me. Everything you know, forget it, delete the tape. You are starting from nothing. Use one of the moves or things that will help you get over but forget about lucha libre. Lucha libre will not work here. You will never be anything if you focus and stick to being a luchador in WWE.

I adapted and changed myself. I have been the only one to go on and win everything that I won. So that's what I think is the formula. I told Manny this the last time I saw him. He asked me if things were different on the main roster. I told him, "Things are going to get worse up there." (Big laugh) I said, "It's up to you. Put all you can into learning English." I told him the exact same thing Dean Malenko told me. In my humble opinion, if it worked for me, it'll work for you. Now with those two, it is all a matter of time and adapting. If they change, they will get support. The physique is an important aspect over there. Manny looked incredible here. Over there he looks a little fat. For WWE, that is one of their principle ideals. All that's left is to wish them the best of luck.

WWE will always be looking for another Rey or another Alberto. Will they be able to find another? I really doubt it. Not because there aren't people with the amount of talent a Rey has or I have. Simply because every wrestler is their own person and has their own name. You can't just find another one. You have to create someone that will hopefully be better than us. I wish them both luck.

Del Rio has a lot of nerve mentioning himself in the same breath as Rey Jr.

In WWE kayfabe terms, ADR blows Rey out of the water. He was far more successful in the WWE with multiple World Titles and victories over Rey himself.

Rey was a WWE midcarder who had one or two short laps with the belt.

Obviously, in terms of worldwide impact, Rey is the clear victor. Rey was an innovator and trendsetter that will be remembered for generations to come.

But in the WWE bubble, ADR was better.

He did? Well fuck. I remember him cashing in on Punk. I remember him beating Big Show on SD. When the fuck did h...oh he won the belt back off Dolph in the double turn. Three. Did he win the belt back off Cena in the broken ring match to drop to Punk? He must have.

Jesus the two world titles were a clusterfuck those last couple years.

ADR winning one more 'world title' than Rey does not mean he 'blows Rey out of the water' in kayfabe terms. That's silly.

Rey was treated as a upper-midcarder and headliner on SD! for years and years. Rey was even positioned above Dave Batista during Batista title reign in the Summer of 2005.

Here's the difference between Rey and Alberto:

- Rey was a midcarder who eventually won the World Title and was still treated as a midcarder even when he had the belt.

- Alberto was a main eventer from the day he joined the company and retained that status through most of his World Title reigns. In his first feud, he beat Rey. Alberto eventually became a heatless midcarder, but that was later on.

WWE kayfabe: Alberto > Rey

Worldwide influence and lasting impact: Rey by a mile

Here's the difference between Rey and literally everyone else they've tried to make the "next Rey" latino superstar: They let Rey do the moves and style that made him famous, and everyone else from a lucha background has been forced to stop doing what got them over and work a different style.

Alberto actually is probably the guy who's had the most success since they've started doing that.

Fucking AoP have become 100% awesome now that they have names and scream trash talk in Albanian and Indian, (I think that's right). Awesome entrance, killer music, and Ellering being amazing by just doing nothing and being Psul Ellering. Im in love. I'm totally super into seeing them kill everyone fucking dead.

Did you see the skull masks yet?