Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be late on this, but I can't believe someone would argue that, even in "kayfabe" terms, Alberto Del Rio was a bigger star/better wrestler than Rey Mysterio based solely on World Title reigns. That means he's also four times the legend as Piper too? Than Andre the Giant?

You have to look at length of main event runs AND, most tellingly, the "push" they received in terms of marketing and positioning. Yes, Mysterio's win/loss wasn't always great...but that was because he was so immensely over that the bookers viewed beating him as a way to elevate a talent. The fans viewed talents that beat him as being a big deal too. You could win or lose to Del Rio and it meant nothing either way.

Plus - neither guy is on the best terms with the company, but there's only one that the WWE could make money on with a HoF induction, yet another DVD set, and a Legends Contract. There's only one that, even if he's on dicey terms with the company, warrants a continued presence on future video games and whatnot. Only one of them made the company any real money in merchandise sales. These may not be purely "kayfabe" metrics, but they are sports-entertainment metrics (and sports-entertainment is much more of what the WWE is than a "kayfabe" sport).

In the kayfabe history of the WWE, one could be essentially written out and one never could and it has nothing to do with World Title reigns when determining who is who.

I wouldn't be surprised if ADR edges him out on PPV main events (Rey's biggest main event run was probably his 06 reign during the brand split when Cena routinely headlined the co-brand shows like Mania 22), but there's also Reys feuds with Eddie in 05, Jericho in 09(?), his debut bout against Angle, his tag run with Edge, even his rivalries with Cody Rhodes and Kane that were treated as way, way, way bigger deals than anything ADR ever did with anyone not named Cena.

So, yeah, if the argument is ADR is a bigger star than Rey because he got to wrestle John Cena more, then, well, yeah, Rey doesn't hold a candle to the greatness of Del Rio. And, honestly, Rey might not even be as kayfabe important as John Laurenaitis under that lens.

They updated the line-up of people for the Bel Air show.

No sign of Almas, Lorcan, or Revival currently. Almas and Alexander were in FL for the last loop and are listed for FL that night as well. That said, Blake is listed for both places so, it's all probably not final. So far no Gargano/Ciampa, TM61, Moon, or touring cruiserweights either.

Very much looking forward to the start of the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic for this year, and intrigued to see where they go with it. I haven't read any spoilers (and don't wish to know anyway!) but there will be a couple of teams who a victory for sets things up for future stories down the line.

Last years tournament was where Gargano and Ciampa first came to prominence in NXT and there is clearly unfinished business with the Revival. A loss in the tournament could also be the catalyst for the subtle hints that have been there of a Ciampa heel turn.

The Revival themselves should go far in the tournament, but as the champions, you think that whoever they lose to will be set up for a tag team title shot, as typically champions don't tend to win tournaments. I think it was the Vaudevillians who were the champions at this point last year and from memory went out fairly early.

The Authors of Pain will be a massive (pun intended) favourite as you wonder who will actually be able to beat them, although you could see them coming up against the Revival who sneak out a crafty win.

Then there's the fact that last year was won by the Super NXT team of Balor and Joe, so one of the non permanent teams could do well, especially as Roode and Dillinger look like they could be an amazing team and the finals will be in Toronto, and then there's Ibushi and Itami as well. All in all, when you look at likely match quality and the fact there are so many different routes they could go, this should be a fantastic tournament. It will also be interesting to see if all the matches are on TV. Last year they showed some of them in clip form from house shows in an event centre and I thought that worked really well, like a sports highlight/round up show.

This week's NXT was pretty good. Nice to see they are starting to give the new crop of girls some kind of discernible personality, and the Samoa Joe Death Tour marches on. Also great that they finally pulled the trigger on the Almas turn. Hope this opens the door for him to show off his Ingobernales chops.

I liked the idea behind Sanity, but the reveal being 2 repackaged jobbers/Eric Young/tiny woman was quite the letdown. It was like when a WWE jobber goes to TNA and they act like it's a big deal.

The Australian girls are the best thing on the women's side in NXT but Live is blonde so you know who's going to get the main roster fast track.

I can just see Vince re-enacting that famous orgasm face gif upon seeing Tino Sabbatelli.

Imagine if Sanity ends up being a better Wyatt family, and EY ends up being a better Bray.

I think Eric Young is much better talker than the current version of Bray Wyatt. But it is pretty much a push in terms of talent. The biggest problem with Sanity is that the best wrestler in the group is the woman Nikki Cross. Guys like Sawyer Fulton has never been interesting to me except that he is big.