Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about the Ohno name is that the point was to have the initials K.O., because he was keeping the "Knockout Kid" persona and they wanted to make KO puns and KO merch. But then Kevin Owens came in and basically took over the K.O. stuff. I don't see them wanting to have two guys running around as K.O. ("people might confuse Shane Helms with Shane McMahon.."), so it kind of kills the whole point of the name and all the merch opportunities for it.

Speaking of which, anyone knows if the UK guys (Bate, Dunne, Seven & Mandrews) will be NXT regulars from now on?

I was thinking about it last night as Bate celebrated his win that it doesn't make sense for WWE to not have him hit the ground running as he's already pretty over and fits a lot of what they want then I remembered they rushed into this with no real plan which will hurt any chance of these guys getting pushed while they still have momentum. I think it would be great if they just worry about the weekly show stuff later and just brought in at least the big 5 guys from #UKCT it's not like they can't find a lot more talent guys in the UK scene for the weekly show if need be later.

Speaking of which, anyone knows if the UK guys (Bate, Dunne, Seven & Mandrews) will be NXT regulars from now on?

I was thinking about it last night as Bate celebrated his win that it doesn't make sense for WWE to not have him hit the ground running as he's already pretty over and fits a lot of what they want then I remembered they rushed into this with no real plan which will hurt any chance of these guys getting pushed while they still have momentum. I think it would be great if they just worry about the weekly show stuff later and just brought in at least the big 5 guys from #UKCT it's not like they can't find a lot more talent guys in the UK scene for the weekly show if need be later.

Nothing wrong with having a UK division on NXT for 6 months.

My idea would be that they would have the various UK guys and future people they sign to work their usual places but film the matches for a WWE network show called like "The Best of the Indies" or something of that nature. They could loan out the various guys to indies, film the matches and make a show out of it. I think it would really interesting, it would get the guys/promotions exposure and it wouldn't force WWE to sign a bunch of guys they aren't going to be able to do alot with, because I don't think 205 Live nor a UK show is ever going to work with the guys they have right now.

Just an idea though.

I think bringing the UK guys (the top 6 or so) into NXT would be the best way to integrate them into WWE. There is already the Regal connection. Would give NXT some fresh matchups and most importantly prevent a repeat of the cruiserweight situation (which could still turn around but has fizzled so far)

NXT has been flat, there doesn't seem to be any firm plans for a weekly UK show yet, so putting the UK guys on NXT for now seems like the best thing for all involved.

Also I guess this means the UK championship is an actual defended title and not just the prize for winning a tournament?

The thing about the Ohno name is that the point was to have the initials K.O., because he was keeping the "Knockout Kid" persona and they wanted to make KO puns and KO merch. But then Kevin Owens came in and basically took over the K.O. stuff. I don't see them wanting to have two guys running around as K.O. ("people might confuse Shane Helms with Shane McMahon.."), so it kind of kills the whole point of the name and all the merch opportunities for it.

WWE hasn't cared about for about a decade or more at this point. They have 2 Jacks and 2 Johns on the same show. 3 Mikes (plus a Mickie). 2 Tylers. I assume the reason he was brought back as KO instead of Chris Hero is for the most obvious reason: They already own the name and have logos/video ready to go.

NXT, 2/8: Decent episode illustrating both strengths and flaws in the current NXT setup. Highlight may have been the two video packages hyping Tyler Bate’s match with Trent Seven next week. Having the UK guys on this show will be a huge asset right now. Also thought Roode’s promo was good. Sanity feel like a total scrub TNA stable, and it isn’t even Young’s fault. Wolfe and Cross in particular seem so low-rent and corny to me. I did like that two other babyfaces actually came out to save the babyface getting beaten up by four heels, and to set up a main event at that. I barely watched Liv-Kaye as they’ve been so bad in recent weeks, and it was so quick. Revival-Heavy Machinery was fine, formulaic tag work, but I was a little disappointed in HM based on their look/pedigree, as this division could really use a third team that’s worth a damn. Revival aren’t terrible on the mic, but it was one of those promos where you realize someone’s just enthusiastically saying absolutely nothing of interest. Tye/Strong/Jose vs. Young/Dain/Wolfe was solid in that you can see them getting back to the wise NXT strategy of mixing homegrown guys with indie favorites, but I still get the sense that none of these 6 guys look like major players. Damo may well end up having the best WWE career of any of them, actually.

• 1 month later...

How has Ohno looked like since he returned (in the ring I mean)?

Saw him team with Shinsuke vs Roode and Patrick Clark tonight. Thought he looked good and at least is not wearing that tight shirt he wore in the Roode title match that airs this week. I don't want to spoil it but that match was disappointing.

Saw him team with Shinsuke vs Roode and Patrick Clark tonight. Thought he looked good and at least is not wearing that tight shirt he wore in the Roode title match that airs this week. I don't want to spoil it but that match was disappointing.

Every Roode match is going to be disappointing. For some reason NXT picking him up and having a meme song suddenly made people think he's this 5 star talent instead of a baseline average TV match worker. Maybe 4-5 years ago he could be great with the right opponent, but he's basically the Terry Taylor of his generation if TT got taken seriously in WWE/WCW. A very solid, dependable worker, but not someone you should be expecting great matches from.

Every Roode match is going to be disappointing. For some reason NXT picking him up and having a meme song suddenly made people think he's this 5 star talent instead of a baseline average TV match worker. Maybe 4-5 years ago he could be great with the right opponent, but he's basically the Terry Taylor of his generation if TT got taken seriously in WWE/WCW. A very solid, dependable worker, but not someone you should be expecting great matches from.

Shouldn't Hero be able to "carry" him to a great match though? I agree that Roode is solid and not much else in the ring but Hero was coming from the best run in his career - though I still didn't love all his work like most people, but still - that's why I'm asking how he's looked. Is the Roode match the only one he's had so far? I haven't seen NXT TV in a long ass time.

Fat.

(I know)

Tried my best to avoid this answer to my question. Oh well :lol:

Yeah, it's weird in that people think he's even above-average as a solo guy. His best stuff was always tag stuff when teaming with James Storm IMO. He's really boring on his own.

Strongly disagree with the idea that Roode can't excel as a singles guy. He's had really strong matches with Storm, Aries, Lashley, and Eric Young over the past few years, just for a start. And that Nakamura match was no carry job either, honestly I thought Roode made that match. Refusing to get up for Nak's finisher, forcing him to attack from awkward positions, that final single leg crab where he was punching at the injured knee like a man possessed. I just can't buy the narrative that Roode doesn't have much to offer.

Strongly disagree with the idea that Roode can't excel as a singles guy. He's had really strong matches with Storm, Aries, Lashley, and Eric Young over the past few years, just for a start. And that Nakamura match was no carry job either, honestly I thought Roode made that match. Refusing to get up for Nak's finisher, forcing him to attack from awkward positions, that final single leg crab where he was punching at the injured knee like a man possessed. I just can't buy the narrative that Roode doesn't have much to offer.

That's not what was said. He does have something to offer, but not 5 star super worker offer. People are expecting Sami/Nak or Joe/Nak quality matches out of Roode now for some reason. His bar doesn't get that high, so people going into matches expecting greatness are never going to get it out of a Roode match. They'll get something decent to pretty good.