Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SmartMark15 said:

Even with the varied views this match got on this forum, this is truly kind of absurd.

Is this the first 5 1/2 star match? He probably should have started with 5 1/4 for that first Omega/Okada match and worked his way up to 6 for this to make any bit of sense but yeah no, this will never make any sense. 

Personally, I'd go the full *******. I'm firmly in the camp of it being the best WWF match ever. 

17 hours ago, Al said:

I bought tickets to an NXT house show next month in Bethlehem. I'm just a casual observer but I'm expecting a fun experience. It's way closer and more intimate than I would get at a Raw/Smackdown WWE show.

I have been to a few of the house shows and they are always a fun time.  You usually get some really good matches.  It’s a really good crew of wrestlers who are going to bust their asses to have a good show.

5 1/2 is...interesting. Not surprising based on the way he was talking about the match on WOR after. I really got into the match watching it live (on tv, wasn't able to go to NY/NJ this year) and my immediate reaction was that it was a total 5 star match. I will say this though: I'm never going to rewatch it. If I watched it in a vacuum, knowing the result and everything, it would not have been a five star match. As an "in the moment" thing, I loved it. I bought into it. I was very hyped on it. I just know that it won't have the same effect on a rewatch. It's a perfect argument for "context is king" as Bischoff is fond of saying.  

I guess the fact that Oney Lorcan has shown up on 205 Live means that his NXT tag team with Danny Burch is finished?  If so, that's too bad.  I thought they were great, and I'm not convinced 205 Live will "get" Lorcan's style?  Not to mention I am concerned about what will happen to Burch without Lorcan.  Maybe they will send him to NXT UK?  Reportedly that is where Alexander Wolfe is headed.  I know Burch and Lorcan made an appearance there in February.

Maybe they can still team up on occasion. I mean, there seems to be a lot of crossover between 205 Live, NXT & NXT UK so it's not impossible for them to eventually team up but yeah, I would assume that Danny Burch would also be NXT UK-bound. I'm not really worried about Lorcan right now. In fact, I'd be more worried if he was on RAW or SD Live. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lorcan being one of Tony Nese's first challengers relatively soon.

Just now, The Thread Killer said:

I guess the fact that Oney Lorcan has shown up on 205 Live means that his NXT tag team with Danny Burch is finished?  If so, that's too bad.  I thought they were great, and I'm not convinced 205 Live will "get" Lorcan's style?  Not to mention I am concerned about what will happen to Burch without Lorcan.  Maybe they will send him to NXT UK?  Reportedly that is where Alexander Wolfe is headed.  I know Burch and Lorcan made an appearance there in February.

Spoiler

He debuted at the NXT UK tapings last night aligning himself with a group called 'Imperium' that also includes WALTER, Fabian Aichner and Marcel Barthel.

• 1 month later...

Tonight's tapings sure have some fire ideas. 

I am liking the new names they've had for some new signees. Shaw being renamed Dexter Lumis and Punisher Martinez being Damien Priest are good names.

Also, Garza Jr, now Angel Garza has a huge booty. Might get over in the same way Balor did.

5 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Yeah but then you have Trevor Lee as Cameron Grimes, Shane Strickland as Isaiah Scott, DJ Z as Joaquin Wilde, ACH as Jordan Myles, and Jonah Rock as Bronson Reed.

I guess Joaquin Wilde has potential, but the rest hover on the line between generic and terrible.

Personally, I don't think Trevor Lee loses much in the transition. Trevor Lee, as a name, is nothing particularly special. But if the idea is if it ain't broke don't fix it, then I guess I can see where you're coming from.

3 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Yeah but then you have Trevor Lee as Cameron Grimes, Shane Strickland as Isaiah Scott, DJ Z as Joaquin Wilde, ACH as Jordan Myles, and Jonah Rock as Bronson Reed.

I guess Joaquin Wilde has potential, but the rest hover on the line between generic and terrible.

Luke Menzies becoming Ridge Holland certainly falls into the latter category.

See they've still got the Charles Bronson fascination too, not the first time he's been used as inspiration for names in developmental.

2 minutes ago, SmartMark15 said:

Personally, I don't think Trevor Lee loses much in the transition. Trevor Lee, as a name, is nothing particularly special. But if the idea is if it ain't broke don't fix it, then I guess I can see where you're coming from.

I just can't figure out how the "who gets to keep their indy name" lottery works. Keith Lee, Deonna Purazzo, and Matt Riddle are good but all of these guys aren't?

32 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

Shane Strickland as Isaiah Scott

Because Isaiah Scott sounds SOOOOO much better than Swerve Shane Strickland, as a pro-wrestling name. :rolleyes: 

For a while they kept everyone's name, and all of a sudden they're back to change everybody's with the worst, blandest, most awkward name possible.

A name change for ACH was inevitable, I think. The vague meaning behind the initials could have been played up, but they don't really have time for that when they could run (you guessed it) more rematches. I'd say Jordan Myles was an upgrade in that sense.

Dexter Lumis is hokey af. Nobody strained themselves reaching for that one. Christ. It's just awful.

Damien Priest is okay-ish, in the sense that it suits the guy. It suits his look and will probably summarize everything about the character in a nutshell. However, the same could be said if you also tossed this name on Aleister Black or one of the Ascension clowns. Very generic and low-rent ring to it. The name sounds like it belongs to a failed Spawn ripoff from some obscure mid-90s comic book company somewhere.

Shane Strickland sounds like everything you want in a stage name. It has alliteration. It rolls off the tongue. It has a certain "stickiness" to it, in that it could easily stay in people's minds after hearing it a few times. This change was an unnecessary downgrade for him.

57 minutes ago, SmartMark15 said:

Perhaps a consequence of AEW making brand value moving between companies actually relevant again.

I thought about that too actually. Then again, it's not like MOX has not become hotter than Dean Ambrose ever was in a matter of a few weeks.