Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

WWE is in full "you're nothing if you leave us" mode, based on reports of the pep talks guys here and on the main roster are getting. The funny thing is, all giving people random names accomplishes is that they can go back to using their more familiar names if/when they leave.  

I don't understand why some of these guys signed though. Unless they got some life changing money offers just to be in NXT, I don't get why someone like Trevor Lee would sign with them. I know he's got connections with the North Carolina crew, but Vince is going to take one look at him with his "Geico caveman dressed like a New Japan young lion" getup and ask who the fuck hired that guy. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty fun Main Event on this week's episode of NXT UK, it was a 6 Man Tag with British Strong Style vs. The Imperium.  I like the Imperium and think they have a great look and aura, although I'm still not entirely sure I "get" Walter.  To me, he still comes across as a tall pudgy guy with a bad haircut that mostly throws chops.  One thing I really noticed was how much better the commentary was, with just Vic Joseph and Nigel, as well. When you have just a two man booth as opposed to three, people aren't always talking over each other.  Nigel's personality and character come out much more on NXT UK and Vic Joseph shockingly concentrates on calling the match, and doesn't spend most of his time screaming at the top of his lungs, trying to come up with clever rhymes or spouting off stupid hip hop references.  Quite refreshing.

So according to spoilers, Killian Dain and Apollo Crews (who apparently got his last name back?) returned to NXT tonight.  Also, Fandango returned and reunited with Tyler Breeze.

But most importantly, the Adam Cole/Johnny Gargano rivalry continued and looks to be the Main Event for the next Takeover special in Toronto before Summerslam. 

Because what we all need in our lives is ANOTHER Cole/Gargano match.

Agreed on Shane Strickland and his name change downgrade, so it's extra odd that they're actually keeping the nickname and going with Isaiah "Swerve" Scott.

Trevor Lee got the name of a soap opera actress with different spelling. I'm glad they didn't do this during the hiring of Styles, Joe, Roode, etc.

They've signed so many people that I'm almost worried that they've created a false economy of wrestlers. Like, are there actually too many guys now? Would they all still be able to make money if WWE cut back on the hoarding policy?

14 hours ago, FMKK said:

They've signed so many people that I'm almost worried that they've created a false economy of wrestlers. Like, are there actually too many guys now? Would they all still be able to make money if WWE cut back on the hoarding policy?

Yeah, sadly, for a lot of these guys, the most they will get talked about is people saying how dumb their new names are.  It’s too bad AEW didn’t happen a year earlier.

14 hours ago, FMKK said:

If WWE decided to stop hoarding, the guys who didn't land in AEW would be bolstering places like ROH and MLW I'm sure. A lot of the lucha guys being wasted would go back to CMLL and/or AAA. Having a strong #2 promotion is a tide that rises all boats most of the time.

43 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Everything I've heard is that when they want guys to change their name, they ask the talent to come up with a list of names for themselves.

They do, but then it comes off like some weird form of gaslighting when the talent is all "I chose my weird WWE name, the company didn't do it!"

Yeah, but they asked you to change it in the first place though. Plus look at the way new signees react when people point out how silly their new names are on social media, the replies are so similar there's almost certainly a pat response they are expected to give.

It completely sidesteps the point that in most cases, people are expected to stop using the name they built up on the indies (and presumably part of what got WWE's attention in the first place).  

It's OK though, one of Steph's talking points in her rally the troops speeches is how WWE is a place where you're able to really own your own brand!

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

It's OK though, one of Steph's talking points in her rally the troops speeches is how WWE is a place where you're able to really own your own brand!

How do people not laugh at her face when she says shit like this ? I mean, of all things...

9 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Nevertheless, it's not like there's a guy handing out new names, or some weird random name generator. If it's left up to the performer, than the majority of the "blame" is on them for coming up with the names. 

And as bad as "Damien Priest" is, it's better than "Punishment Martinez".

Yeah plus sometimes the new names are better.  I'd take Finn Balor over Fergal Devitt and Aleistar Black fits him way better than Tommy End, just for an example.  Sometimes the names they pick are dumb, but not always.

I like the Damien Priest name. 

OK, I'm not positive what has or has not aired yet, so to be safe I'm going to put this next part in spoilers.

So Io Shirai gets another match with Shayna which is a cage match. Which Shayna wins again. And then Io Shirai turns heel & beats up Candice. OK... so what babyfaces does Shayna have left? She's pretty much beaten the entire roster clean & there's nothing else for her to do. NXT feels like the women's division is so paper thin right now, they'd be better off bring Rhea Ripley and Toni Storm from UK over to NXT permanently. They could use some more bodies. Definitely more babyfaces.

I think Punishment Martinez is a badass name and Damien Priest is generic CAW 101. I kinda like Tommy End too, but I can see why others wouldn't.

With that said, some of the NXT/WWE names have definitely been better than the originals.

As mentioned: Finn Balor > Prince Devitt

Hideo Itami > KENTA 

It's weird how they go back and forth on whether to use original names or rebranded names. 

• 2 weeks later...