NXT talk

Woof

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Didn't he get hurt around March? 

Yes, and Dijack did too shortly afterward. Killing their feud together. I think Lee has been hurt here and there a couple of times. Also might have had a death or two in the family and had to sort out stuff at home. In short just a lot of bad luck.

Tegan wasn''t in much last night( it was a tag match) but when she was, the crowd was going crazy for her. I felt nervous watching her hoping for the best. I'm guessing they will do the Rhea/Tegan rematch before the Shayna match.

That same Orlando house show had a great Drew Gulak vs Jordan Myles(ACH) match for the cruiserweight title. Gulak is my favorite wrestler right now. Rarely has a match that is below very good. 

• 3 weeks later...

So it sounds like an era is coming to an end soon, with the announcement that NXT is starting on USA apparently coming tomorrow on Raw. It will go head to head with AEW and I assume will be a two hour show. Will this be the end of "pure" NXT now that it will have to draw ratings and not be embarrassed by AEW? Will it become just another main roster show with wrestlers from Raw and Smackdown regularly appearing? I hope it keeps it's identity, but it's definitely going to be different. It could be rejuvenating, who knows. Things haven't exactly been must see for a while now anyway. I feel a bit sad because 2015 NXT is what got me back into modern wrestling after a long period of being mostly just an old school fan. The last four years have been a blast and some of my favorite wrestling ever. Things are really gearing up to be interesting beginning Oct 2 if nothing else 

There's apparently another significant bit of news in regards to the NXT to USA story to be announced tomorrow as well. 

As far as it being an end of an era, it's all but guaranteed Vince will be paying more attention if it's going to be their counter to AEW. I would expect a way more main roster style show than the NXT we've been used to.

The bigger question is, NXT on USA means it will fall into the 30 day delay Raw and SD have in terms of the network. How will moving NXT off the network hurt subs?

Well, main roster acts appearing on NXT is one of the things I enjoyed the most on the first era of NXT as an actual wrestling brand. Stuff like RVD popping in to wrestle Aiden English, Orton versus Sandow or that incredible Zayn/Cesaro feud were really fun, not to mention Shield being featured in both NXT and the main shows.

It can also be very good for the women's division, as in theory 2h could mean they are going to appear more, and not just the same three people. 

Overall it can be pretty good for NXT as a whole. It was so loaded, it pretty much needed the extra hour, and dealing with live crowds can be interesting as well.

This all stems from Vince's pathological obsession with stamping out any competition. It was always going to end up in a war with AEW and WWE but really there's no reason why they can't both exist and do well. Nothing against any of the NXT guys, even if I don't necessarily care for the style, but I kinda hope they eat shit on this one.

1 hour ago, FMKK said:

Nothing against any of the NXT guys, even if I don't necessarily care for the style, but I kinda hope they eat shit on this one.

This. It would be disheartning to see the first big time true alternative in US wrestling in 20 years quickly fail because WWE can't stand the idea of not being a monopoly and has to put every ressource they have to put every bit of alternative out of business. NXT UK was designed to fuck the UK scene and it did exactly that, apparently.

I feel people are burnt out on WWE programming. The last year and a half they've built to several supershows like Saudi, Australia and the usual PPVs, while presenting 5 hours of programming a week on cable tv. It's good for the short term, but overexposure can kill interest long term. Doing another two hour show each week feels like insanity.

I don't see how it's going to work. Maybe a coupe of years ago it could have worked. But even if they don't touch it. The show is stale as hell and getting pretty cold. It's a very niche product which is fine but we have seen in the past that people don't give a fuck about B level shows. There really isn't any star power in NXT currently outside of Dream. I can see this being just a show dominated by main roster guys within a few months. Also, if they move to 2 hours I don't know how they fill that as they haven't done a good job of building people up that aren't in that top 10-12 group.

19 minutes ago, Ricky Jackson said:

9/18 is the debut on USA, so they get a 2 week jump on AEW. Have to imagine they build to something big for Oct 2

So, knowing WWE as I do, I could see them doing some big Undisputed Era vs NXT Champion Alumni (Seth/Finn/Some Other Babyface Like Big E) tag. And calling it a day.