Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Al said:

I feel people are burnt out on WWE programming. The last year and a half they've built to several supershows like Saudi, Australia and the usual PPVs, while presenting 5 hours of programming a week on cable tv. 

Both Bischoff and Schiavone have stated that Thunder is what killed WCW. Because it was the beginning of the overexposure. WWE presenting RAW, NXT and Smackdown every week can't be a good thing really in the grand scheme of things. Especially when your product is not hot to begin with.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

So, knowing WWE as I do, I could see them doing some big Undisputed Era vs NXT Champion Alumni (Seth/Finn/Some Other Babyface Like Big E) tag. And calling it a day.

In a WarGames match.

51 minutes ago, Log said:

The big question is, does Mauro make it to USA?

I know he has his detractors here (you're all wrong, BTW), but I hope he does - and I hope Vince, JBL, or whoever caused him problems last time stays the hell away. 

Is Mauro willing to work a weekly schedule again though? I remember him saying one of the perks of his new deal was not having to work every week.

If Mauro somehow becomes a free agent because of this, AEW needs him, period. I don't know what that means for Schiavone, Marvez, or even Ross, but Mauro would be a huge asset. (Excalibur is a great commentator and should be safe from any shake-ups, even if he does look like a goofy fuck in his ridiculous indie-riffic Shanghai Pierce cosplay lucha mask.)

8 minutes ago, C.S. said:

If Mauro somehow becomes a free agent because of this, AEW needs him, period.

Fuck no ! I hope WWE locks him for life. It would be the worst signing possible. Last time I tried to watch a Takeover, I was legitimately wanting to shut it down five minutes into the very first match. Give him a lifetime contract WWE. Give him a job for life on the Network. Money. Hoes. Whatever he needs. Keep him away from any promotion I might want to watch. Please.

4 minutes ago, El-P said:

Fuck no ! I hope WWE locks him for life. It would be the worst signing possible. Last time I tried to watch a Takeover, I was legitimately wanting to shut it down five minutes into the very first match. Give him a lifetime contract WWE. Give him a job for life on the Network. Money. Hoes. Whatever he needs. Keep him away from any promotion I might want to watch. Please.

Breaking News: Mauro is going to be the head commentator for AEW France. AEW Chief Brand Officer Brandi Rhodes said "Mauro's Quebecois patois will be very pleasing to AEW's growing French fanbase." There will be "no English commentary option in France," confirmed AEW Chief Executive Vice President of Talent Relations Kenny Omega, who is Canadian, fluent in French, and will be joining Mauro on commentary (yes, even during his own matches).  

Just now, C.S. said:

Breaking News: Mauro is going to be the head commentator for AEW France. AEW Chief Brand Officer Brandi Rhodes said "Mauro's Quebecois patois will be very pleasing to AEW's growing French fanbase." There will be "no English commentary option in France," confirmed AEW Chief Executive Vice President of Talent Relations Kenny Omega, who is Canadian, fluent in French, and will be joining Mauro on commentary (yes, even during his own matches).  

So he's replacing Mama Mia with Sacré Bleu and making references to Gillets Jaunes and Johnny Halliday?

5 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I'm living for Mauro Ranallo eventually screaming "TABARNAK!" on a live NXT broadcast.

1 minute ago, C.S. said:

Ah ah. Most French announcers these days are awful. The only thing I was listening in French was the WWE PPV because Chereau & Agius are that good and always made me crack up at some point.

1 minute ago, FMKK said:

So he's replacing Mama Mia with Sacré Bleu and making references to Gillets Jaunes and Johnny Halliday?

Holy shit. Ok, so Sacrebleu is the most old-school cliché possible and also a cool album from Dimitri from Paris. Damn, France was Johnny fucking Halliday, now we're the Gilet Jaunes ! :lol: Well, Les Gilets Jaunes would be a great heel brawling team though. Recognizable look too.

Honestly, that's me trying to watch the Takeover before Mania :

Honestly if someone would just tell Mauro to stop trying to force pop culture references in every sentence, the annoyance factor for me (and probably everyone else here) would drop by at least 75%. 

It's like they are afraid to offer him any kind of production and just let him do whatever he wants out there.  Which would make NXT on USA interesting, since there's no way Vince is going to allow any announcer on his TV go unproduced.

For that matter, wonder how Hunter feels to see his baby get turned into another death march slog of a WWE TV show when it only got popular as the homegrown alternative to the main roster.

4 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Haha, apologies for the ancient stereotypes. If it's any consolation, I'm bound to hear Mauro shouting "Pete Dunne has crashed through the table like his country is crashing out of the EU with no deal!" between now and November.

:lol:

I should not laugh though.

Btw, when is the last time anyone cared about NXT weekly television? I feel like the brand was at its absolute peak in terms of weekly storytelling and general buzz when Zayn won the title, Owens turned and then Bayley won the women's title in Brooklyn. They've obviously done bigger Takeovers since but to me, that's when it seemed like a genuinely exciting product and it's been partially living on the goodwill from that period. It certainly seems rare that people talk about the weekly TV imo.

13 minutes ago, FMKK said:

Btw, when is the last time anyone cared about NXT weekly television? I feel like the brand was at its absolute peak in terms of weekly storytelling and general buzz when Zayn won the title, Owens turned and then Bayley won the women's title in Brooklyn. They've obviously done bigger Takeovers since but to me, that's when it seemed like a genuinely exciting product and it's been partially living on the goodwill from that period. It certainly seems rare that people talk about the weekly TV imo.

I feel like the TV kind of became a slog when Bobby Roode showed up and won the title. I still watch it most weeks but the TV is essentially have a good match or two and make sure nothing big happens until Takeover.

The weekly TV is mostly there to get wrestlers over, like an old territory show, and in that regard it's been pretty successful over the years. And like a lot those shows back in the day, there have been a lot of cool moments and occasionally great matches, but it exists mostly to build up wrestlers and programs for the next big show/Takeover. It's not an episodic show, really. At this point in my life as a wrestling fan, 1 hr a week and five big shows a year, the closest to the 80s style I so love, is good enough 

1 hour ago, Ricky Jackson said:

The weekly TV is mostly there to get wrestlers over, like an old territory show, and in that regard it's been pretty successful over the years. And like a lot those shows back in the day, there have been a lot of cool moments and ocasionally great matches, but it exists mostly to build up wrestlers and programs for the next big show/Takeover. It's not an episodic show, really. At this point in my life as a wrestling fan, 1 hr a week and five big shows a year, the closest to the 80s style I so love, is good enough

I am fine with it too but I don't think it will work as a show meant to draw in 1-2 million people a week.

I used to watch all the TV but I didn’t see a single episode before the most recent Takeover.  This feels like basically the worst time for them to make a shift like this.  I thought it would have been a terrible idea for them to go live on FS1 (as was the original rumor) and I think this is even worse.

I'm a step further, myself. I'd watch all the TV, complain about people who would just watch Takeovers and try to comment without seeing the build, and thus miss nuance, etc. 

Now I'm not even watching the takeovers, and I'm only haphazardly coming across the spoilers a couple of days after tapings.