Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

The obvious concern here is Vince focusing on NXT, but isn't that in and of itself a larger problem? They really need Smackdown to succeed long-term (or else they're kind of screwed when that contract is up). They now really need NXT to succeed to not be embarrassed by losing to AEW. But... Vince was supposedly bringing in Heyman and Bischoff because he needed to lessen his workload? 

So they're going to run 3 live shows a week AND the XFL. This feels like a disaster waiting to happen.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

Since this company is famous for punishing people for getting over when they aren't supposed to be over, and the Full Sail crowd is going to cheer for who they want to cheer for....how long before they move the tapings out of Full Sail?

They're in a bit of bind there, too. Full Sail is easy to fill and the crowd is energetic, but do they want to turn over a two hour live show every week to a small crowd that's as insular as the old TNA ones? But the flip side is that NXT has had pretty spotty success as a touring brand (the last Takeover was not a hot ticket), and unless the USA move significantly increases popularity, I'm not sure how well weekly TV would draw.

It's going to be a fascinating time. Just hoping the quality of the wrestling programs lives up to how fun following the backstage drama will be.

I think they are stuck with Full Sail. I think NXT was a hot ticket for about the first year of touring but they have had really spotty success in full sized arenas when they haven't been attached to a PPV. I think the big problem NXT is going to have is being seen as a B show and WWE's history of supporting shows that aren't Raw or Smackdown. Remember what Main Event was originally supposed to be?

On 8/21/2019 at 12:40 AM, Mad Dog said:

I think they are stuck with Full Sail. I think NXT was a hot ticket for about the first year of touring but they have had really spotty success in full sized arenas when they haven't been attached to a PPV. I think the big problem NXT is going to have is being seen as a B show and WWE's history of supporting shows that aren't Raw or Smackdown. Remember what Main Event was originally supposed to be?

That and they have a contract with Full Sail. And possibly the State of Florida (tax reasons etc).

Interested in what happens all of December and up to mid-January. It is a College campus and everything shuts down. The front gate is padlocked essentially. The poor international wrestlers who never see their families go home during that period. 

On 8/20/2019 at 7:40 PM, Mad Dog said:

Remember what Main Event was originally supposed to be?

To be fair Main Event was designed to be a show on WGN America until it got canceled and it became a weird vestigial organ designed to fulfill international TV commitments. 

3 hours ago, Herodes said:

Vince needs to bring in the big guns to NXT like Brock and the Big Dog to crush these upstarts, the war is doomed if dweebs like Gargano and Cole are leading the charge

If Brock showed up to F5 everybody in NXT, because what else would he do, it would be simultaneously the greatest and worst thing that could happen.

2 hours ago, Coffey said:

They should push Keith Lee. Just physical presence alone he feels like a bigger star than guys like Gargano or Cole. Dude is a truck.

He has the charisma and ring work to back it up. I know he's been injured, but why he hasn't been treated like a huge freaking deal since day one absolutely blows my mind.

5 hours ago, Coffey said:

They should push Keith Lee. Just physical presence alone he feels like a bigger star than guys like Gargano or Cole. Dude is a truck.

Him and Dijak got really unlucky, as both were injured at the same damn time right when they were starting to get something to do.

Those two, alongside Dream, Riddle and Bianca Belair should be the faces of the company. Not that Gargano and Cole shouldn't be featured - they clearly are over with the crowd, but I feel like the others could reach even higher flights with the proper time.

11 hours ago, Coffey said:

Keith Lee will have a starring role in WWE and Netflix’s new movie “The Main Event”. Filming for the show reportedly finished last week, and the movie will be released at some stage in 2020. So they've obviously have plans and he's part of the WWE machine.

But yeah he turns 35 in November. Has a lot of size on his frame, a college football star and wrestled the modern style on the indies for a good while. Who knows how long his body will hold up.

1 hour ago, rovert said:

Keith Lee will have a starring role in WWE and Netflix’s new movie “The Main Event”. Filming for the show reportedly finished last week, and the movie will be released at some stage in 2020. So they've obviously have plans and he's part of the WWE machine.

The premise for that film according to IMDB: "After discovering a magical mask, an 11-year-old aspiring wrestler enters a competition to become the next WWE superstar." At the very best this movie is going to be harmless fun, but this could reach Ready to Rumble level as well.

11 hours ago, Robert S said:

The premise for that film according to IMDB: "After discovering a magical mask, an 11-year-old aspiring wrestler enters a competition to become the next WWE superstar." At the very best this movie is going to be harmless fun, but this could reach Ready to Rumble level as well.

Sounds like some movie indeed... <_<

On 8/25/2019 at 8:30 AM, Dale Wolfe said:

Did someone finally sign Cyborg? 

WWE talent relations don't like her. Has used them for leverage several times and just difficult to deal with. 

Not sure if it is true but I've read she probably would never lose or would get the concept of jobbing.

On 8/27/2019 at 5:07 AM, rovert said:

WWE talent relations don't like her. Has used them for leverage several times and just difficult to deal with. 

Not sure if it is true but I've read she probably would never lose or would get the concept of jobbing.

Funny considering Vince can't seem to quit Brock, and keeps throwing cash at him every time his deal is up. 

I mean, Brock's got no problem with jobbing clearly, but I can't imagine he's a joy to deal with. 

One thing that really bothers me about NXT is that nobody ever simply walks to the ring, even if they're cutting a promo in street clothes. Everybody has an elaborate pose on the ramp-pose on the apron-pose on the ring routine in perfect synchronization with their entrance music. They come across more as video game characters than human beings.

2 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

One thing that really bothers me about NXT is that nobody ever simply walks to the ring, even if they're cutting a promo in street clothes. Everybody has an elaborate pose on the ramp-pose on the apron-pose on the ring routine in perfect synchronization with their entrance music. They come across more as video game characters than human beings.

That's becoming more prevalent in all wrestling.  I hate it, too.  Maybe it's just me, but now that we're seeing more of what WWE wants from wrestlers via NXT and all of the performance center stuff you can watch on youtube, etc., I feel like more up-and-coming wrestlers are trying to fit that mold.  They're not developing their character naturally, they're trying to fit themselves into what they think WWE wants.

It's not just pro wrestling.  Athletes from as early as high school try to talk like pros in boring, meaningless soundbites.  Sports anchors all try to sound like ESPN anchors from the minute they're out of broadcast school.  I guess its a by-product of there being fewer and fewer options due to all of the media conglomeration that's happening.  Better try to be what the big company wants to up your chances of success. I just feel like it's sucking the personality out of these things.