Pro Wrestling Only

NXT talk

Woof

The amount of people I have seen online today defending WWE over this is mind boggling. You want to know why WWE keeps doing shit like this? Because people always sweep it under the rug like it’s no big deal whenever they do. Oh, that’s not what they meant! Oh, you’re reading too much into it! Oh, that wasn’t their intent! Or my personal favorite bullshit excuse: It’s just wrestling...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Coffey said:

The amount of people I have seen online today defending WWE over this is mind boggling. You want to know why WWE keeps doing shit like this? Because people always sweep it under the rug like it’s no big deal whenever they do. Oh, that’s not what they meant! Oh, you’re reading too much into it! Oh, that wasn’t their intent! Or my personal favorite bullshit excuse: It’s just wrestling...

I think it was really dumb and makes them look bad. But I think it was probably a mistake because they were trying to vomit out 20+ NXT shirts overnight with no thought or QA put into an of them. He has every right to be pissed though. Especially if that was their reaction. Just go "well shit, you're right, we will have that changed immediately, you know what we feel so bad about that you want to design your own shirt?"

I didn't think this was a work, but I'm beginning to think this is one of those "gray areas."

Like, yes, he has a legit beef with the company - especially the TV shirt design department - but I highly doubt Triple H or Vince were at all involved. Not defending them because lord knows I love criticizing and shaming them, but before today, I doubt Vince could even pick Myles out of a lineup. Hell, even after today, I don't think he could. 

But part of me is thinking that his Twitter comments are also designed to rally support for himself and get his name out there after months of being off TV - especially now that NXT is a 2-hour show and the current Cruiserweight Champ just kinda did something similar and was essentially rewarded for it. The same can be said for Sasha Banks, to some degree, who "took her ball and went home"  and returned to a major push while other workers toil in the shadows with no push in sight. 

It used to be that getting over in front of the cameras was how you got pushed. Now, you've got just as good a chance of getting a push by getting over on Twitter as a disgruntled employee standing up to your corporate bosses. 

So, yeah, I'm totally with Myles and there's plenty of evidence to suggest McMahon's views on race are about as enlightened as our President's, but I'm not sure he had his fingerprints on this particular incident. Though, of course, the buck stops at the top so he's not void of guilt. That being said, I do think Myles might also be working a little bit.

It's one of those deals where it's not like Vince or Hunter were sitting around all "let's give the black guy a shirt that looks like a Little Black Sambo face", it's that something looking like that made it through all phases of design and production without one person saying "uhhh....maybe we shouldn't do that". Racism isn't just cross burnings and using the n-word, it's letting shit like this happen without even noticing how bad it is. 

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Brucie on the infamous HHH vs Booker T feud. "We were telling a story."

It's not like Triple H had been doing any blackface parody in the past...

Maybe they were telling a story. Just the story is that the white guy with loads of Germanic insignia is superior to the top black wrestler...

5 hours ago, C.S. said:

Is he trying to get fired at this point, or angling for the Luke Harper/Mike Kanellis "get paid to sit at home" package?

His anger about the design is justified, but wow, he really doesn't seem to give a fuck if he keeps his job or not. 

I get the impression it's the complete opposite. Based on all accounts, Myles is a really, really nice person, and really doesn't want any trouble. This is mostly him trying to get people to do better and be better, as well as getting people the respect they deserve more than anything.

Dude wanted to be on WWE, and it seems he just wants things to improve overall.

2 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

WWE actually released a statement on this!

https://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/wwe-statement-jordan-myles-shirt/#.XbZlG5JKjIU

It reeks of bullshit, tbh.

It is bullshit, he said they told him the idea they were going for (a twist on the Rolling Stones's logo*) but he never saw the finished product until it was made. To say that a black wrestler saw and approved something with such obvious racist imagery is just as tone deaf as creating it in the first place. 

But, WWE's gonna WWE. Never admit you were wrong or that you fucked up even when it's patently obvious.

*which still would have been stupid but not "holy shit, what were they thinking" stupid.

17 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

He shouldn't have drug RoH into it. He was a massive fuck up in RoH and it makes him look stupid bringing them up. 

What did he say about ROH? Not seeing anything in any of the above tweets. (I'm pretty tired though, so forgive me if I missed something obvious.)

Edit: Found it.

f--k ROH TOO!

The only allowed ONE African American to be the "Top Guy" while guys like @CedricAlexander TD, @Malcolmvelli and myself had to chase this visible carrot a stick.

Name another African American who was reached great heights there other than this Uncle Tom: pic.twitter.com/bb3URXNtyc

— Jordan Myles (@GoGoMyles) October 28, 2019

https://twitter.com/GoGoMyles/status/1188832139468591105 

Looks like it was taken down though...

Who is the "Uncle Tom"? He sounds like a real asshole himself using loaded racist terminology like this. 

16 minutes ago, El-P said:

More "teethy" uh ? Talk about cringe...

Well, it's definitely supposed to be a mouth. Even WWE sideways admitted that by claiming it's "inspired by" Rolling Stones. 

Biggest takeaway: Vince's email is [email protected]? Anyone wanna try and find out? For shits and giggles, I might try to email Stephanie.

2nd Biggest Takeaway: Maybe this isn't a "semi-work" like I suggested earlier and maybe Triple H really was presented with the idea and explicitly wanted it to be more "teethy" - meaning he wanted to make sure the racism shined through.

I've seen a fair few rumblings, unsubstantiated tbf but believable, that there is increasing unhappiness in NXT amongst the massive roster there that is never used. It may also have to do with salaries having not yet increased as was promised following the move to USA.

The way Myles was tweeting yesterday initially made me think this might be a work...he was leaning pretty heavy into the speechifying and histrionics.  However, I am seriously doubting that it is a work now, because for a publicly traded company to try and work some internet angle over a hot-button topic like racism would be exceptionally stupid.  Even for WWE.  They might have shitty writers and no creativity whatsoever, but they're most likely not going to do anything that could mess with their profits. So going with the assumption that this is all real...I pretty much lost any sympathy I might have had for Myles when he blatantly implied Jay Lethal is an "Uncle Tom."  Way to pretty much destroy any good will you built up during this whole situation, dumbass.

6 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

He was talking about Jay Lethal in the ROH post. Won't defend the usage of the Uncle Tom term, but Lethal apparently did sexually harass Taeler Hendrix, then she was released by ROH for speaking out about it.

So fuck Jay Lethal and Ring of Honor.

Indeed, fuck Jay Lethal and Ring of Honor.

But also fuck Albert C. Hardie, Jr. for being just as racist as he claims others are.

As usual in wrestling, everyone's an asshole.