Pro Wrestling Only

WrestleMania 32

TravJ1979

I think it's a match where if it did well, the storyline would be largely arbitrary. WWE, as they usually do in the build to Wrestlemania, would bank more on the dream match between big names factor than trying to make a compelling story that makes sense for both of their characters. In this case, though, I think the reason it doesn't hold much appeal is because their characters don't really mesh well.

In spite of all that, I still think the odds of a financially successful match are strong. Debra managing The Rock in the build to Wrestlemania X-7 and Hogan attempting to murder Rock with a semi always come to mind when I think of these huge matches with a terrible storyline going in.

I agree they could get away with doing it as just huge star vs. huge star and that would be fine for the majority of fans. I just don't want to see the match and would be disappointed if that's the main event.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If HHH wants to work Mania (and I presume he does), he may well approach it in similar fashion to last year, where the match was booked in its final build and execution to make him the babyface against Sting. If he tries the same with Rock, it'll fail, but I'd guess he'll try it anyway.

That's one reason why I'd thought (before Rock announced his appearance) that we might see HHH-Sheamus. Easily booked situation where Sheamus fails to beat Reigns at the Rumble, causing dissent b/w McMahons and the League of Nations, leading to a situation in which the League are a chaotic heel wrecking crew who are trying to take over the show, only for tweener Hunter to come save the day and again protect WWE from insurgents.

Having just re-watched the 96-98 Raws not to long ago, what made Rock a star was them turning him heel and letting him vent on the fans for the "Die Rocky Die" chants rather than what they would do now and continue to push him down everyone's throats as the Blue Chipper white meat babyface. For one, it allowed Rock to show his off-the-charts charisma fully and it also showed they were able to take a situation that wasn't working and turn it around to their advantage.

If HHH wants to work Mania (and I presume he does), he may well approach it in similar fashion to last year, where the match was booked in its final build and execution to make him the babyface against Sting. If he tries the same with Rock, it'll fail, but I'd guess he'll try it anyway.

That's one reason why I'd thought (before Rock announced his appearance) that we might see HHH-Sheamus. Easily booked situation where Sheamus fails to beat Reigns at the Rumble, causing dissent b/w McMahons and the League of Nations, leading to a situation in which the League are a chaotic heel wrecking crew who are trying to take over the show, only for tweener Hunter to come save the day and again protect WWE from insurgents.

The League of Nations are not fan favorites obviously but I find it difficult to believe that the Authority could ever be placed in a babyface position, even in the face of a rampaging renegade faction. Triple H the individual might but if he has Stephanie cutting his promos then it won't happen.

By the way, has anyone suggested a connection between Rock announcing his involvement in WM just a few weeks after WWE suddenly figuring out how to book Roman correctly? Considering how he's always helping his family it doesn't seem ridiculous to think he may have suggested some things.

Cena reportedly out 6-9 months for shoulder surgery. This show is absolutely snakebitten. Really curious what direction things go now, and whether this contributed to a last minute push for the NJ crew. There'd been talk about Styles & Nak going back a bit so I can't imagine they all of a sudden upped the ante, but it is coincidental.

they pretty much have to do Rock-Brock or something on that level now. Reigns/HHH doesn't cut it as a main event by itself. I have this idea they will beg Dana about getting Rousey or Vince just freaks out and puts himself or Steph in a big match. I have no idea really

While not having Cena at Mania is certainly a bad thing, the last two he was in mid card matches, not the Main. So it really isn't the "OMG THEYRE SO FUCKED NOW" thing going around.

It doesn't destroy the card in the sense of main event plans, but this is the type of thing that tends to cause Vince to panic and throw all his plans out the window.

What's the status of Randy Orton, if he won't be at Mania 32, then I think they need to get guys like Samoa Joe, Sami Zayn, and maybe bring back Hulk Hogan. I heard that it was going to be Cena Taker at mania 32 with Cena winning and Taker goes 22-2, now who does he face?

While not having Cena at Mania is certainly a bad thing, the last two he was in mid card matches, not the Main. So it really isn't the "OMG THEYRE SO FUCKED NOW" thing going around.

C'mon, Johnny, the issue isn't Cena. The issue is Cena on top of everything else. They were almost have to rely on Cena in a more prominent role this year because so many guys are out.

It actually is a bit of a big deal when you factor in that the show also doesn't have Orton, Rollins, Bryan and perhaps another couple names that would round out the top half of the card. Forces quite a bit of reshuffling

So the top guys who are out - Cena, Bryan, Orton, Rollins, and Sting. Is that about right?

Who is left? Reigns, Brock, Taker, HHH, Jericho, Rock (maybe), Sheamus, Del Rio, Owens? I can't see any combination of those 9 guys headlined by Reigns vs HHH selling 105,000 tickets.

There is a rumor out there that Bryan has been cleared by WWE and they are just playing everything close to the vest until Royal Rumble where Bryan will be a surprise entrant and win the title.

So the top guys who are out - Cena, Bryan, Orton, Rollins, and Sting. Is that about right?

Who is left? Reigns, Brock, Taker, HHH, Jericho, Rock (maybe), Sheamus, Del Rio, Owens? I can't see any combination of those 9 guys headlined by Reigns vs HHH selling 105,000 tickets.

There is a rumor out there that Bryan has been cleared by WWE and they are just playing everything close to the vest until Royal Rumble where Bryan will be a surprise entrant and win the title.

Seems implausible that after all of Bryan's injuries, they'd feel confident enough in his health to put him over in the Rumble and make him the champion going into Wrestlemania before he's taken one bump.

Toss in Sin Cara, Barrett, and Nikki Bella all being out as well and things look pretty bad. so I guess no Cena/Taker at Mania. The the top two matches being Rock/Brock:Reigns/HHH or Rock/HHH:Reigns:Brock, Mania doesn't look that good on paper. I guess Taker can go against Jericho (they only faced off once one-on-one in 2009) to get the casuals excited, but fuck! I really hope the NJPW guys are coming in because WM32 could potentially be saved based purely off the workrate in the undercard card.

Looks like I can still get 2,000 dollar seats at Mania. I am cannot find an accurate chart to show how many people purchased as of today. I am sure just the name only sells the event, but I am sure WWE is at a 60% capacity right now. Bigger names in sports haven't been able to fill out the place, so WWE really needs to come in with pretty much anyone who can walk and talk not named Hulk Hogan.