Pro Wrestling Only

Home Stretch

Grimmas

Apart from the last minute watching and finalising my list, what I want to do during this home stretch is actually discuss the nominees more. I've been sitting on the periphery of pretty much all the talk on specific nominees, mainly because I wanted to keep as open a mind as possible while I've been watching stuff and thinking about guys. I didn't want to say "this guy is a Top Whatever guy" 12 months ago and then force myself into either proving or disproving that specific statement. One of the last things I'm going to do is actually sit down and put my list in order.

Having said that, it's getting late now, and I'm finally starting to think about what my list will look like and sort guys into tiers. While I do that I want to make sure I'm talking about them. Now that we're getting closer it sort of feels like there are more and more nominees but less and less discussion of existing nominees, especially guys who were nominated like 18 months ago.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is why she should be nominated, so we can talk about this.

Man, we got a dude fighting to defend Trish Stratus, which I thought was a joke. I don't see how Daffney is any better or worse than Trish, honestly. A case can be made for damn near anyone. I mean, no one else will probably list some of the people on our lists, so it's not really that big of a deal. And kudos for that dude defending Trish too, because he wanted her on his list & he went above and beyond to make a case for her.

I mean, let's be real, does it really matter who any of us have in the final ten spots? You could put The Human Tornado on there at 99 and Kurt Angle at 100 just so you have Tornado over Angle, it won't really change anything.

I have Batista at #53 and not a single Lucha guy on my list... and I'm 100% content with that. I can't get into Lucha.

What I don't want to see is people not submitting ballots or nominating the people that they want to include because of a fear of someone on the internet talking garbage to them. It's a message forum. This is supposed to be fun. It's not life and death, here. If you wanna nominate and list Nidia, go for it, ya know? So what if someone else rolls their eyes at your list? Some of the statements I've seen people make so far have me cracking up thinking they're joking. We're all fans in our own way and no two people will ever see eye-to-eye on everyone and everything.

EDIT : That's too harsh: lemme edit.

I don't want anyone to not feel like they can partake & certainly don't feel like you shouldn't because of how someone else might perceive you. Don't let the worry about what someone else thinks of you hinder your enjoyment of something. Please. If you don't wanna submit a ballot just because you don't want to, cool. But don't absolve yourself because you're worried about ridicule or anything like that.

Unrelated to recent discussion, but if you can't get into Lucha Coffey, why is Pentagon Jr. in your sig?

I feel like Lucha Underground is "Americanized" Lucha. I can watch it because it's presented more like WCW Cruiserweights than presented like CMLL or AAA, from what I've seen. There's a lot of talent in Lucha Libre but I'm always taken out of the matches by things like blown spots, no selling, "Legend" old workers that can barely move but still wrestling, or [my biggest pet peeve] the referees that count so slow that there's never any near-falls or pinfalls that I care about. Seriously, the refs take me out of every match I've tried to get into in Lucha. I just tried to watch an Arena Mexico Lucha show this week & shut it off again. I just can not get into it. I've even tried to look up some of the nominated top Lucha stars, it's just not my cup of tea at all. I tried, I can't do it.

I've only seen Pentagon, Jr. in Lucha Underground and a few American Indy matches here & there. I liked his storyline where he was breaking people's arms & the build-up to the Vampiro match. There's actually quite a few guys in Lucha Underground that I enjoy. I watched every episode of it & look forward to season two. If all Lucha was like that I would have been a bigger fan sometime ago.

By my count, the WM32 deadline is ten weeks from today. Royal Rumble Sunday felt like a good day for me to have a finalized 100 so that I could spend the rest of the time taking 1-2 people on my list daily and watch (or rewatch) as much of their stuff as possible to validate their current ranking.

If I had to go with the 100 that I have now, I'd be happy with it and it'd be fine. I do have about 30 more unranked workers who I want to look into to see if they have a case, but time's winding down and at some point I'll have to concede that you can't see everything by everyone. Joshi and 90s Lucha are the two areas where I feel like I'm trying to cram a bunch of new unseen stuff in.

To do:

- Post preliminary top 100 on the board. (done)

- Wait for reactions to prelim list and see if anyone has really good arguments for checking out some names, in order to improve their case.

- Check out if everyone on prelim list is actually nominated... If not, nominate them...

- Accept that people will certainly raise eyebrows at aspects of my list. (done... in Denmark we have a saying: "It takes more than that to make my piss boil"... Meaning: I think I'll survive people laughing or mocking my choices. ... But I'd sure love to hear people's thoughts).

- Wish everyone good luck on completing their lists. Can't wait to see where everyone else ends up with this project. (done, see below)

So, good luck to you all :-)