Pro Wrestling Only

Which luchadores are you ranking?

Childs

I know the love/don't get/indifferent spectrum is wide for lucha, so I'm interested to know how many luchadores people are planning to rank?

I've got Satanico, Dandy, Santito, Casas, Pirata, Sangre Chicana, Blue Panther, Fuerza, Negro Navarro and Villano III in my 100 right now.

Atlantis is just outside. I'm still assessing what I want to do with Virus. And I'd like to rank Black Terry, but I'm honestly not sure how good he was outside his brilliant old man run of a few years ago.

Guys who'd stand a great chance with more footage include La Fiera, Mocho Cota and Espanto Jr.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santo, Casas, Dandy, Satanico, Panther, Atlantis, Perro Aguayo, Sangre Chicano, Panther, Virus are the locks

Black Terry, La Fiera, Emilio Charles Jr, MS-1 are the maybes. This is actually more names than I originally thought since at this point I don't consider any lucha candidate to have a shot at my top 3 and while I enjoy lucha a ton, I still consider myself a bigger fan of Japan in the international scene.

Satanico, El Hijo del Santo, Negro Casas, El Dandy, Pirata Morgan, Sangre Chicana, MS-1, Atlantis, Villano III, Blue Panther, Fuerza Guerrera, LA Park, Perro Aguayo are my locks.

La Fiera, Emilio Charles Jr, Mocho Cota, Ringo Mendoza, Super Astro, Black Terry, Negro Navarro, Espanto Jr and Solar are possible candidates to make it/I want to watch more.

Satanico is a #1 contender

Santo & Casas could be anywhere from 5-15

El Dandy will be in my top 20 and I want to sneak Chicana in there as well.

Pirata Morgan, Atlantis & Villano III will be anywhere from 25ish-50ish in that order.

Fuerza, Park & Perro will be 2nd half of the list.

As of now, Casas is my only lock based on purely work in Mexico. I'll probably be the low vote on him just because I don't totally get lucha, but I still respect what he does and I can see that he's one of the 100 best wrestlers ever. Sammy sent me a bunch of Satanico to watch last month and I still haven't gotten around to it. I want to give him, Pirata Morgan, and Charles Jr a good look before ballots are due.

Atlantis will not be making my ballot. Don't understand his appeal at all.

Casas, Santito, Dandy, Atlantis, Emilio Charles Jr., Virus, Perro Aguayo Sr., Sangre Chicana, El Satanico, LA Park, Super Astro, Pirata Morgan, Lizmark, Fuerza Guerrera, Black Terry and La Fiera are all currently on my list. I wish I could binge watch all the Solar/Negro Navarro/Bestia Salvaje/insert whomever to get a good impression of them other than "good at wrestling" but I don't see that happening.

I'm not sure if he's a top 100 guy, but Fiera's case is helped by how good he looks as a secondary guy in early 90s trios matches. I always got the impression that he was washed up and broken down in the 90s, which to an extent he was, but he's really good in those trios in his rudo role and a bright spot both pre-split and post-split. The Casas match is a classic as well.

Black Terry looks solid in his younger days but not significantly better than a lot of swell lucha journeymen. Old man Black Terry is a lucha great, IMO. Early Navarro is way more questionable to me than early Terry. I also think it's kind of unfair to separate Navarro from Solar. They're like a great songwriting pair. Virus at this stage is possibly more deserving of a top 100 placing than either Terry or Navarro, but I say that a few years removed from watching Terry and Navarro regularly.

I've got a lot of the same as everyone else, including Fiera, MS-1, Chicana, Fuerza, etc. Park is towards the end of my list. I'd love to include Wagner, Jr., since he's so charismatic but he's too detrimental to far too many matches.

I don't have a strong enough sense of Navarro/Black Terry to rank them as things are now. I'm closing in on Morgan. I don't feel confident on Perro, Sr. I'm not there yet on Villano III either. I need to give Espanto another look. We have a lot of him but it feels scattered to me.

I've got Hector Garza on there, mainly on the strength of his two 00s rudo runs.

I'm seriously considering putting Brazo de Oro on.

Casas, Satanico, Dandy, Santito, Blue Panther, Virus, Fuerza, Sangre Chicana, Pirata Morgan, LA Park, Emilio Charles Jr.

Those are the locks. Villano III, Atlantis, Fiera, MS-1, Espanto, etc. (pretty much echoing everyone else at this point) either feel like guys I need to see a little more of to be sure one way or the other, or in someone like Atlantis' case decide if he makes it into the bottom quarter of the list out of the fifty or so people I have in that particular pile.

I'm not really a classical, traditional tecnico sort of guy but I have Atlantis relatively high. What's the downsides on him? I sort of get the sense that he does everything well but he doesn't stand out in one specific area like other people who do everything well (such as Santo). I do think he garners sympathy very well. I'm kind of high on his rudo run, as I think he embraced the role more than Santo did, for instance. I know I'm an exception there though.

Terry had at least a year or two in 2008-2012 where he was the Worker of the Year and has been close to that in others.

Navarro's run over the last decade suggests he's been a top 5-25 guy every/most years for the last decade since 2006.

Solar has not aged and as OJ says, if you're listing Navarro you almost have to list Solar.

I've got all three on my list. IWRG/indie lucha has been the best thing to happen to wrestling since the second BattlARTS went down. Ironically the guys representing modern-day wrestling on my list are 50-60 year old luchadors.

Definites:

Atlantis

Blue Panther

El Dandy

El Hijo del Santo

El Satanico

Emilio Charles Jr.

Espectrito

Fuerza Guerrera

Juventud Guerrera

Mascarita Sagrada

Negro Casas

Psicosis

Rey Misterio Jr.

Sangre Chicana

Virus

Possibles:

Angel Azteca

Felino

Jerry Estrada

Mocho Cota

Olimpico

Pirata Morgan

Super Astro

Villano III

Just looked back through the names. Am I the only one ranking any minis? I'd find that sad.

No way!

Mascarita Dorada makes my list. Mascarita Sagrada will as well. Espectrito is a definite possibility. Little Tokyo is someone I have to watch more, but there is a twinkle of hope for the number 100 spot.

The locks I have that other people have mentioned already are:

Casas, Santito, Satanico, El Dandy, Charles, Park, Sangre Chicana, Virus, Fuerza, Solar, Negro Navarro, Terry, Atlantis, Blue Panther, Pirata, and Rey.

The two people I am pretty positive will make my list that have not gotten listed thus far are Porky and Cassandro.

I'm pretty sure I'll be ranking El Hijo del Santo, Atlantis, El Dandy, Pirata Morgan and Satanico with possible places for MS-1, Dr. Wagner Jr and Blue Panther.

There has been little talk of minis during this period. I wouldn't be apposed to voting for any but we are getting down to the wire and none have been talked up to the point of forcing me to plop down and watch.

Grimmas had a thread a while back where he was reviewing a bunch of minis matches, http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/29678-the-minis-thread/