Pro Wrestling Only
Cross Face Chicken Wing

Under-the-radar wrestling book recommendations

On 1/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, C.S. said:

How is the David Shoemaker book The Squared Circle: Life, Death, and Professional Wrestling?

It's currently on sale for $4.99 on Kindle, which is its lowest price to date, according to ereaderiq.com.

I really liked the author's articles on Deadspin, but is this more of an overview of wrestling history? I'm kind of burned out on those (and I still have The Comic Book History of Professional Wrestling to read anyway).

https://smile.amazon.com/Squared-Circle-Death-Professional-Wrestling-ebook/dp/B008BM4MN0/

I found it on a torrenting site (Daniel Bryan's book, too). Mainly obits - Gordy, Pillman, Rude, Davey Boy et al - an interesting chapter on S.D Jones, leading to a look at race in wrestling, and, yes, some overview of pro-wrestling in the context of eras. Definitely worth five Kindle bucks, but I've noticed you (and most of this board) are more knowledgable than I, so the things I found interesting may be old hat to you.

Hornswoggle's book Life Is Short and So Am I: My Life Inside, Outside, and Under the Wrestling Ring is on sale for $4.99 on Kindle. 

It looks like a fun read, so I'm gonna grab it.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:18 PM, Dav'oh said:

I found it on a torrenting site (Daniel Bryan's book, too). Mainly obits - Gordy, Pillman, Rude, Davey Boy et al - an interesting chapter on S.D Jones, leading to a look at race in wrestling, and, yes, some overview of pro-wrestling in the context of eras. Definitely worth five Kindle bucks, but I've noticed you (and most of this board) are more knowledgable than I, so the things I found interesting may be old hat to you.

Thank you for your kind words. :)

Your recommendation convinced me! I will definitely grab the Shoemaker book when it's $4.99 again. 

On 1/20/2020 at 5:26 PM, C.S. said:

I finally read this. A fun read.

Some highlights (SPOILERS):

- Kofi and Hawkins were Swoggle's best friends in WWE.

- Bob Holly and JBL are *gasp* not bullies - according to Swoggle anyway.

- CM Punk is a cranky unprofessional bitch. Swoggle got a new phone and lost all of his numbers, so he asked Punk for his number and the number of a musician (?) who was a mutual friend. This set Punk off, who called Swoggle a "user" and even taunted him about being on a future cut list. What a dick! Swoggle later apologized (even though he wasn't in the wrong) and Punk accepted that. However, Punk was eventually standoffish again. Punk has always struck me as someone who has no concept of friendship and doesn't value loyalty. Sad!

- Heath Slater once complained about having to get beat up by a midget. Dash Wilder was boo-boo-facing about being eliminated from a battle royal at one of the SaudiMania shows by Swoggle (maybe the Greatest Royal Rumble). Stuff like this confirms my suspicions that The Revival are really their own worst enemy at times.

- Khali was lazy and wanted to make as much money doing as little as possible.

- WeeLC got a standing ovation from everyone in the back, including Vince. IMO, it's the greatest PPV pre-show match of all time and one of the top ten matches of the decade. Yes, really.

- Swoggle's Wellness Violation was because he couldn't piss in a cup in time, not because of any drug failure. Yet, WWE refused to specify that Swoggle did not actually test dirty for drugs. This and other frustrations really paint WWE as a really shitty place to work IMO. Still, Swoggle is grateful overall for his career and getting to live his dream.

It's a really compelling read in general, because he goes into what it's like to be a midget (his word, which he says he doesn't mind). 

On a side note, the Internet Archive has some wrestling books on there. Many of them are the ones aimed at grade schoolers and such, but they also have some stuff like DDP's book, The Wrestlecrap book, Duggans book, etc. You do have to register, but that's free and easy.

For those interested in the history of 50s-70s wrestling, I just started the Gene Kiniski bio by Steve Verrier (who also wrote a pretty good history of Pacific NW wrestling) and it's really well researched and really good