Pro Wrestling Only

1Bob reports Benoit is leaving WWE

Loss

Jericho worked Japan, Mexico, ECW & WCW before going to WWE. Yet, it's funny to you that I think he was a big name before WWE? Like people didn't watch his cruiserweight run during WCW? So, the pop he got when he debuted in WWF was because he was pretty, right?

What did WWE do with him? Give him some IC runs and a SHITTY World Title run where he had to pick up the shit of Steph's dog? Maybe you'll try to tell me that WWE made Fozzy and TV spots possible. *twirls finger*

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jericho did get more exposure and become a bigger name in WWE, but that was him getting over on his own. He never had the promotional hype machine like he should have had behind him. Regardless of what you think of him as a talent, he was the guy to follow Austin and Rock and carry the torch, but he didn't get the opportunity.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

Potential in Hogan?

Yeah, it was hard to see talent and ability to connect with a crowd in that guy. How did Vince ever see it? GENIUS~!

Vince applied sound business and marketing decisions (liscensing, branding, profit sharing as a motivator) to professional wrestling. Vince had something the other promoters didn't and that was a Business Admin degree. The dude was a marketer through and through and that's where he excelled. Though I often wonder how much of the business moves and successes were a result of Linda, rather than Vince. No one is saying the dude wasn't a tremendous promoter and marketer, but a genius is something totally different.

If Vince was a genius, why hasn't there been a turn around yet? Why has there been so much failure and bad moves and missteps? Why do we see the WWE repeating so many of their and others past mistakes? Why has the writing been so bad? Where is the quality control? Why are they still in the Attitude-era mindset? Why does Vince need a kick in the pants to get going? Why doesn't he provide any answers? You wanna know why? Cause he can't come up with them on his own. A genius can. The things he did in wrestling in the 80s may have been unique to wrestling, but they were not unique to _business_. It's just no one in business took a look at wrestling and said "hey, we can make money at this".

"Wrestlers being worked to death. It's better now..."

Quoted for emphasis.

Ask the boys if working 3-4 times a week is better, or 8-9. Ask the boys if getting an extra pay day with more pay per views are better. How about making money outside of wrestling. How about getting a cut of merchandise. How about actually having a downside to their contract? How about actually getting to go to rehab when you have a problem instead of them just letting you die, or firing you?

And yet, as evidenced by what has transpired over the last month, they're still being worked to death.

Guest Bruiser Chong

I guess Jericho's pop when his name appeared on the Titan Tron in his WWF debut is indicitive of how unfamiliar wrestling fans were with him or how little they cared about him. Yup.

Val and Vis could be a good team if WWE gave a shit about tag wrestling. I know I'm pretty much alone on this but I think Vis is an excellent worker for a guy hovering around 500 pounds. It's a shame he's really never been given a serious gimmick to go with his size and ability.

Just a few thoughts:

Is the WWE cashing in on the rumours that Benoit's leaving to make more intrigue for the match this Sunday?

Benoit has not wrestled on several of the last WWE houseshows. Was he just getting a break or is there something more to that? Is the WWE going this far out to cash in on the rumours?

Why was Benoit not on Smackdown or Velocity at all? Why wasn't he even in an interview segment? The match on Sunday is important to him since he could be swept. It's for the US title in a best of 7 series. This is like you know important. Why not ask his feelings on the subject?

For anyone who watched Smackdown did they give away the victor of the series through the commentary? Or was it too hard to read into?

• 3 months later...
Guest savagerulz

Credit: Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter

Reports indicate that WWE?s SmackDown! brand wrestler, Chris Benoit has recently signed a new multi-year contract with WWE. Over the past several months there has been speculation as to if Benoit would continue his career with the WWE, TNA or outside of the industry entirely.

It is expected that Benoit will continue to wrestle for several more years. When his in-ring days are over, a job as a road agent or talent trainer awaits him. The general feeling backstage is that the company sees Benoit as a "lifer".

Guest Danny Dubya v 2.0

I don't know about that, but if that school had a restroom, I'd hate to be that confused and frightened soul that sees red stains all over the toilets and urinals.

Guest savagerulz

Benoit and others made it out of the Dungeon alive, and I don't think Benoit's training school could ever be any scarier than that.

Guest CanadianChick

That's good to hear. Imagine if he opened up a wrestling school, though. Those poor kids would DIE.

The amount of neck bridges those kids would do...damn.

Benoit and others made it out of the Dungeon alive, and I don't think Benoit's training school could ever be any scarier than that.

Benoit's training routine is the scariest thing I've ever read in my life. I'm very familiar with training and his routine is insane to the millionth degree.

He was quoted as getting a kick out of people throwing up when working legs beside them.

Yeah, he'd be a great wrestling trainer. :)

WP -- Gets a kick out of torturing people as well.

Guest bravesfan

I've only heard the story about Chris doing hindu squats on an overseas trip until he realized he was peeing blood, or however the story went.

I've only heard the story about Chris doing hindu squats on an overseas trip until he realized he was peeing blood, or however the story went.

No that was Davari who was urinating muscle fibers after the warmup.

Benoit does 5 to 8 hundred free weight hindu squats as a warmup for his workout.

I found part of the workout article here. If I find the whole thing I'll post it in its entirity.

"Benoit does between 500 and 800 Hindu squats twice a week, and he runs or uses a step machine four to six times a week, depending on his schedule. He currently does 30 minutes of cardio after his weight training, but that varies from month to month."

WP -- Note -- I've also seen reference to his cardio being sixty minutes

"I'll take 10-pound dumbbells or 10-pound plates, and do just about every exercise in my routine," he says. "I'll do curls, triceps extensions, side laterals, front laterals, bent-over rows, bent-over laterals,a dn then I'll do some Hindu squats and strech my legs as much as possible. I also warm up my neck twice a week a day-once before I use free weights, and again before I wrestle. I do alot of isometric exercises for my neck. Basically, I just try to get the blood circulating through my whole body."

WP -- Note -- That's a warmup and it's usually a good idea to warm up with lesser weight.

On and given day, Benoit does 15-18 sets, comprised of 8-12 repetitions fro each bosy part (with the exception of biceps and triceps, which he'll do nine sets for each). And while no body body parts get special attention, Benoit says that he enjoys working shoulders the most.

"I also enjoy working legs when I train with other people," he says. "They are such a big body part, so I really train them hard, and I challenge myself to make the other person [i'm training with] quit, or not finish their workout. I don't make them do extra sets. I still do 15 to 18, but I train really hard when I do legs, and if I;m training with someone else, I'll push myself that much more. It's fun to watch them quit or throw up. I get a real kick out of that."

While Benoit does use heavy weights, he trains more for shape and conditioning than he does for strength. One of his main goals is getting his heart rate up, and maintaining that heart rate throughout his workout. In order to accomplish this, Benoit rests for no more than 30 seconds between sets, and moves quickly from one exercise to another.

The Wolverine also doesn't beleive in "pyramid" workouts-starting with a low weight, working up to maximun weight, and working all the way back down. Instead, he opts to superset, working his muscles to failure. For example, when Benoit works his chest, after a set of 8 or 10 high-neck bench presses, he'll imediately grab dumbbells adn do a lighter set of bench-press flyes, working the same muscle group.

"Consistancy is really the secret to maintaining a great physique," he says. "I prefer free weights, but depending on where I am with my travel schedule, sometimes I'll use (machines), and other times I'll use free weights. Also, because I train in so many gyms, I get to use all different kinds of equipment. I;ve probably used every single type of workout equipment that has ever been made, which is a real treat."

Because Benoit works out in so many different gyms, I wonder how his workouts vary. Sometimes i find it hard to adapt to a gym I'm not familiar with (for example quite a few of the gyms around my area don't have many free weights).

WP -- Note -- This is severe overtraining although there could be benifits to doing this in short bursts followed by periods of less intensity.

Anyway that's not the point of posting this routine. It's no wonder Benoit has such good wind in the ring. Looking at his leg routine in particular -- he seemingly likes to take less than 30 seconds inbetween sets, do 15 to 18 sets of leg exercises done to FAILURE as well as stripsets immediatly afterwards. Guys and girls, I can explain what this is like on a computer but words really don't do it justice. It'd be somewhat equivalent to someone saying "Well, yeah I parachuted out of an airplane yesterday". Words just lose the effect.

The leg routine is beyond insanity.

I read in a recent fitness magazine interview with Randy Orton that Benoit doesn't even use a cup for protein shakes, he puts the powder in his mouth dry, then puts water in his mouth and shakes his head around. He does this because he doesn't like traveling with a stinky cup. Benoit is hardcore.

I read in a recent fitness magazine interview with Randy Orton that Benoit doesn't even use a cup for protein shakes, he puts the powder in his mouth dry, then puts water in his mouth and shakes his head around. He does this because he doesn't like traveling with a stinky cup. Benoit is hardcore.

You know, that reminds of the Chuck Norris quotes except this one's even better. Can I use that as part of my signature on the wrestling boards?

But the thing is, I can't even tell if you made that story up. Did you??

You know, I got to try that technique sometime. Those dirty cups can be a nuisance.

I did not make that story up at all. I was waiting to get my haircut this morning, and noticed a Randy Orton interview in a fitness magazine, so I read it while I was waiting.

Do you happen to know if it's a rescent magazine? I'd like to check out the article myself. Does he talk about a lot of the wrestlers' routines?