Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #82 - Top 100 Greatest Wrestlers Ever Special, Part 2: Top 40

On 40 minus in thus far, but really enjoying it. First thing I've taken away from this is that JvK sounds exactly like I'd imagined he would.

The 'Mark from Peep Show' vibe. ^_^

Ha, I'm now just imagining JvK looking through other GWE ballots and having a David Mitchell-style meltdown when he sees I've rated Tom Zenk above Flair*

*not really

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have no idea how nervous I am reading those names because I know they will be butchered. Yoshihisa Yamamoto is a particular tongue twister.

I want to be clear that I'm saying that as a compliment with zero irony, and the following is definitely one as well. This may be getting into weird tangent territory, but I do love your accent, and after listening to it for hours on end I feel like, I dunno, it's so distinctive that I'll probably start channeling it the next time my Southern accent is called upon.

Also, I haven't had a chance to get past the first hour yet, but I do appreciate the shoutouts. If my recommendations and pimping have helped to get someone like Cena so over with someone so curmudgeonly anti-modern as Parv, I feel like half my GWE job was done.

The other half was my Shawn case...but hopefully I have more words to spare for him yet.

Looking forward to the Shawn post Jimmy.

Speaking of Shawn, It's cool to hear some rational thoughts on him from Chad. The guy merits more of a look than the "he's an asshole", "greatest of all time!", "I can list 500 wrestlers better" type reactions he triggers.

I liked your original placings of Misawa/Kobashi Parv. BIGLAV had a good point in regards to their variety vs the other GOAT contenders.

I really loved the show! Motivated Tim and I do put out our full 100 lists, as well.

What I really took out of it was how much Chad & Parv value output compared to myself values how talented someone is more. Love all the different ways that people are going about their lists.

I'm a little torn as him shifting who he did in when it was a blank space was actually a good moment, one that followed some of the narratives presented by the show over the years, really, almost a validation of the person in question sorts. Now that it just wasn't Dustin placed twice, it's a little less of a fun thing. It'd be one thing if he was replacing #94 or something. It's pretty damning where it actually is, especially given the overall dissatisfaction he showed for some of the placements. I am biased though.

To be honest, if he's going to go as far as he did, then I'd actually prefer Parv to take his BIGLAV list as a starting point, a guide, and then use it to help him reshuffle things and spend the next two weeks following his heart.

Very much enjoyed Chad's reasoning on the Japanese and Mexican workers he included. For someone like myself who has only dipped into the promotions of those countries, some of his match recommendations make me more keen to seek them out.

As for Parv, you said your fave company is All Japan. Could a future project, as a one off, or maybe a few shows, be an All Japan for dummies type show? Where we get a brief history of certain matches and feuds, so I know why these guys are fighting each other? I find it hard to be invested, when it is just This Guy vs That Guy.

Very much enjoyed Chad's reasoning on the Japanese and Mexican workers he included. For someone like myself who has only dipped into the promotions of those countries, some of his match recommendations make me more keen to seek them out.

As for Parv, you said your fave company is All Japan. Could a future project, as a one off, or maybe a few shows, be an All Japan for dummies type show? Where we get a brief history of certain matches and feuds, so I know why these guys are fighting each other? I find it hard to be invested, when it is just This Guy vs That Guy.

They already do the All Japan Excite series but I'm guessing you are after more in depth stuff from further back and more of a focus on specific workers/styles/feuds/periods etc... me and two of my friends are working on a show like that right now actually, I'll post it in this section when the first one gets out there, most likely in about fifteen years time knowing our workrate.

Come on now. I could accept actual David Mitchell but Mark is pushing it, lol.

Exhibit A:

Re: Daniel Bryan matches

'you can see them as being great but I just hate those crowds so much Chad and I don't want them to be happy'

;)

I swear I feel the same way. I don't feel so alone now. Thanks, Parv.

Hey Parv, could you elaborate on your Kurt Angle comment near the end? You said something about not liking him going toe-to-toe with Benoit. Not sure I totally understood.

Kurt Angle is an Olympic gold medalist in wrestling. Chris Benoit has not even competed in amateur wrestling. He should not be able to compete when it comes to the mat work and grappling.

I've never been on board with that complaint.

For one thing, Benoit was always presented as a superb technician who had excellent grappling and submission skills. Just because he didn't have real life amateur experience doesn't really change that fact in pro wrestling.

For another thing, Angle never really used his amateur skills to school people on the mat, so it would be incongruous for him to suddenly bust it out and for everyone to pretend that he's untouchable on the mat. He'd been very much touched by a fair few guys. Hey-o.

I have a massive problem with Shane Fucking McMahon keeping up with Angle on the mat, because Shane was borderline untrained and it was fucking ridiculous. But I have no problem with Angle competing with guys who were portrayed as the very best pro-style trained wrestlers, like Benoit or Shawn or Eddie.

WWE did such a bad job of presenting Angle credibly that I knew many fans who thought the gold medals were a work. Ideally, yes, he should have been peerless on the mat, and that should have been presented as the one place no one, not even other great technical wrestlers, want to take a match. But considering the way Angle was portrayed, I don't think it was as problematic.

Hey Parv, could you elaborate on your Kurt Angle comment near the end? You said something about not liking him going toe-to-toe with Benoit. Not sure I totally understood.

Kurt Angle is an Olympic gold medalist in wrestling. Chris Benoit has not even competed in amateur wrestling. He should not be able to compete when it comes to the mat work and grappling.

Shouldn't Angle be able to use his mat work and grappling to theoretically wreck everyone on the roster? Where do we draw the line on reality?

I just don't see how its unrealistic and patently absurd for an Olympic gold medalist to "work" the mat with another professional wrestler, but perfectly acceptable for said Olympic gold medalist to abandon his Olympic talents and hit a moonsault, eat a Stunner, People's Elbow or anything short of grinding these amateur actors into the mat.